Starnet++ for Mac

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Starnet++ for Mac

Post by Baskevo »

Hi guys,

So I'm trying to work through [mention]STEVE333[/mention] process in PI, and I've gotten to the starnet++ part. I'm trying to install it, but I've been having some trouble. After doing some research, there are some people who say it does not work with pixinsight for Mac, but it will work as an executable? But I've also seen 1 post more recently saying they tried it for their Mac and it worked.... The instructions also say how to install it for a Mac.

Does anyone have any experience with this recently and know if it works for mac? I was able to get it installed, but I think I messed up the installation because when I loaded up the process in PI and tried to apply it to my image, PI said it was processing but after a half hour I had to quit the program because it wasn't loading.

Thanks!
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Starnet++ for Mac

Post by Mac »

Where is the download for Starnet++ ( found it, decided not to be lazy )

I can try to install it on mine as I wanted to try Steve's noise reduction method, at some point in the future, as I am still resolving using flats and darks with my processing.
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

https://pixinsight.com/forum/index.php?topic=13859.0

the PI version of starnet++ was never released, to my knowledge. all that exists is a PI DLL for windows.

right now the only way to run starnet++ on a mac is to run it from the command line.

Confusing statement as there is certainly a download of it for Macs
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

I think I got it working :) The instructions read that sometimes it can take a while to load, and that he's trying to come up with a fix right now... I'm running it right now. I will see how it does when it finishes!
-James W.

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Baskevo wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:07 pm I think I got it working :) The instructions read that sometimes it can take a while to load, and that he's trying to come up with a fix right now... I'm running it right now. I will see how it does when it finishes!
Are you running a Windows laptop for acquisition or using a VM?
Steve

Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

mactech wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:16 pm
Baskevo wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:07 pm I think I got it working :) The instructions read that sometimes it can take a while to load, and that he's trying to come up with a fix right now... I'm running it right now. I will see how it does when it finishes!
Are you running a Windows laptop for acquisition or using a VM?
I use my MacBook Air with windows 10 boot camped on for acquisition, and I use my iMac with Mac OS X for PixInsight. I also have windows 10 on my iMac for when I want to use DSS for stacking instead of pixinsight :)

So I got the Starnet process to work, but it's not taking out the stars completely. It is still leaving the halos... I'm doing it on an old image though, so I bet it would work wonders with my CMOS images.

I will have to wait for [mention]STEVE333[/mention] to see how he was able to do it on my M42 image! I'm thinking I might try reducing the stars first with one of the PI scripts, and try again. It sure does take a minute to load though...
-James W.

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

My GF inherited my Macbook Pro after her 2nd Dell died a sudden death. She was adamant about not ever using a Mac, now she won't part with it.

I installed Parallels VM trial on my iMac and found 8GB was not enough. By the time I purchased a Windows license, memory and Parallels software, I was 1/2 way to a sub-par laptop. I wasn't going to add memory to it, it's getting old in the tooth ( 2014 27" Retina ) and 8GB has always been enough for my programming needs in Xcode.

I just bought a new ASUS Windows laptop to tinker with for AP but not for acquisition, just to VNC into it, as using an iPad with KStars software was less than ideal experience. It uses right-click contextual menus that you cannot do on iOS. I also need it for a programming job this year.
Steve

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

does your cpu support avx instructions ?

edit: never mind, i read you have it working.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .