Flats

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Flats

Post by Mac »

Juno16 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:27 pm Another good thread concerning flats.

I am still just shooting them at mid histogram using the same iso as the lights with the ipad. Most of mine are about 1/80 second. Seems to do a pretty good job with dust motes, but every now and then I have to correct for uneven corner lighting (vignetting) in the Startools Wipe module.

Guess that I should try a lower shutter speed too.

Another interesting thread. Thanks Steve.

Thanks,
Jim
So much to learn and so little time to try it.

Now that I have a LP filter, I reckon that it should be left in while doing the flats and darks? Ah heck... I will just go try and see what happens. :D

Thank you Jim...
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

You are right Steve. I have the tome being retired, but not too many nice nights. The weather here is like a roller coaster!

I could be wrong, but I don’t think that the filter would need to be in for the darks. Maybe the flats, because the filter is part of the imaging train.

Looking forward to responses.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Hi Steve,

The point I was trying to make was that your first set of flats were good and usable right out of the chute.

The purpose of flats is to get rid of dust bunnies and vignetting. They only have to be decent not perfect. So I was trying to save you some work and worry.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

JayTee wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:36 pm Hi Steve,

The point I was trying to make was that your first set of flats were good and usable right out of the chute.

The purpose of flats is to get rid of dust bunnies and vignetting. They only have to be decent not perfect. So I was trying to save you some work and worry.

Cheers,
JT
It was mentioned in the linked docs and by Baskevo to use a slow shutter speed, so that is what I did. The 2nd image isn't as grainy and does seem to show the dust motes slightly more, so I will use the longer shutter speed with the white sheet.

I am like Alfred E. Newman, " what, me worry "

Thanks JT
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

mactech wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:51 pm
JayTee wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:36 pm Hi Steve,

Cheers,
JT
It was mentioned in the linked docs and by Baskevo to use a slow shutter speed, so that is what I did. The 2nd image isn't as grainy and does seem to show the dust motes slightly more, so I will use the longer shutter speed with the white sheet.

I am like Alfred E. Newman, " what, me worry "

Thanks JT
I found that website because my flats were not working for me at all, but try yours first to see if they work! If they don't, then I would try those other techniques. Flats aren't like lights, where some are better than others. They either work or they don't! :)
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629
Stuart United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Stuart »

I've posted multiple times about flat frames before. I caution against using the histogram as a guide for where your flats should be--in my experience that always leads to flats that are too dark. MUCH better is to measure the average ADU of the flat. The average ADU should be 45% of your max ADU. If your scale is 16 bit, your flat ADU should be about 25,000-35,000. If your scale is 14 bit, then your scale should be about 7000-8000. You can measure ADU with a number of different programs, but I use SGP and PixInsight.
Personal equipment: TEC 140 F7 on Astro-Physics Mach 1 mount. Camera QSI 683ws7. Guide with Vario guiding scope
Shared equipment through Star Shadows Remote Observatory through PROMPT/ CTIO/Chile 16" RCOS 16803 chip
Shared equipment through San Diego Astronomy Society 14" RC with 16803 chip on a paramount
Software (for my stuff) PemPRO, SGP, PHD, Focus Boss, ASCOM, and Pixinsight on the other end.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

There is a free program called Astrophotography Lab. It will measure the ADU (and then some) of your images. http://lars-frogner.github.io/Astrophot ... index.html

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Stuart »

mactech wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:32 pm Here is .5 secs at iso400 with the white pillowcase. I just had to turn down the brightness of the iPad to get to that exposure time.

Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 6.31.08 PM.png

_JU97081.jpg
Hey Mactech, if you upload the RAW image one of us can measure the average ADU to see if you're in the ballpark.
Personal equipment: TEC 140 F7 on Astro-Physics Mach 1 mount. Camera QSI 683ws7. Guide with Vario guiding scope
Shared equipment through Star Shadows Remote Observatory through PROMPT/ CTIO/Chile 16" RCOS 16803 chip
Shared equipment through San Diego Astronomy Society 14" RC with 16803 chip on a paramount
Software (for my stuff) PemPRO, SGP, PHD, Focus Boss, ASCOM, and Pixinsight on the other end.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Stuart wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:02 am
mactech wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:32 pm Here is .5 secs at iso400 with the white pillowcase. I just had to turn down the brightness of the iPad to get to that exposure time.

Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 6.31.08 PM.png

_JU97081.jpg
Hey Mactech, if you upload the RAW image one of us can measure the average ADU to see if you're in the ballpark.
Hey Stuart, thanks for the offer.

I've been reading how to do it in PixInsight but haven't measured one yet. I think I trashed all of the RAW files after creating the one above. I don't have the scope setup to take new ones at the moment.
Steve

Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Stuart »

If you upload the master I could look at it. It'll give a similar reading.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Stuart wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:52 am If you upload the master I could look at it. It'll give a similar reading.
I need to create new ones and setup the scope. There may be a few hours tonight I can image and capture them.

Thanks
Steve