What's Going On With My Stars?

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

What's Going On With My Stars?

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Everyone,

I have been fighting with processing a Rosette nebula image for the past few days. Initially, I really liked it. Then, on closer inspection, I found that my stars have gray halos.

Am I over-saturated.
Out of focus.
Very poor seeing (was the case).
Suffering star bloating (Recently Ha modded dslr with no filters).

Or some type of processing issue.

I processed in Startools and posted to the forum, but no suggestions yet. Any ideas?
8C7EFECA-5047-451A-A6B4-9AD073B743FB.jpeg
Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: What's Going On With My Stars?

Post by STEVE333 »

Hi Jim - When you mod your camera to allow for extended red response to capture the Ha emissions, you will need to use some filter(s) to limit the extended red and possibly extended blue responses. Your lenses aren't designed to work with the now wider spectral signals coming in.

I successfully used an IDAS LPS-D1 filter for quite a while before switching the my Duo-Narrowband filter. Don't worry, once you block the unwanted signals your pictures will look just fine, especially with the improved Ha response.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

STEVE333 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:13 am Hi Jim - When you mod your camera to allow for extended red response to capture the Ha emissions, you will need to use some filter(s) to limit the extended red and possibly extended blue responses. Your lenses aren't designed to work with the now wider spectral signals coming in.

I successfully used an IDAS LPS-D1 filter for quite a while before switching the my Duo-Narrowband filter. Don't worry, once you block the unwanted signals your pictures will look just fine, especially with the improved Ha response.

Steve
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your response!

After posting my first image after the mod (M33), you replied and mentioned using a filter. You shared your experience with the IDAS and Duo-Narrowband filter.
I kind of was in denial. I really didn’t want to use a filter. The stars in the next few subsequent images of Pleiades and the Horsehead looked “okay” , but could be more sharp. I thought that it was my lack of imaging/processing skills. In the recent Rosette image, the “flare” was (is) extreme, making the stars in the image look out of focus.

I live in a Bortle 6 area and usually start imaging in the East where the lp is pretty bad until the target rises significantly.
Just in your personal opinion, would the IDAS-LPS-D1 offer a real advantage over a quality UV/IR cut filter? Also, how much extra exposure time is necessary using a filter like the IDAS?

I really appreciate your helpful suggestion. I am discouraged that I wasted two nights imaging the Rosette, but if a filter corrects the star issue, I would gladly acquire one!

Thanks a lot for your input!

Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Juno16 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:36 am
I live in a Bortle 6 area and usually start imaging in the East where the lp is pretty bad until the target rises significantly.
Just in your personal opinion, would the IDAS-LPS-D1 offer a real advantage over a quality UV/IR cut filter? Also, how much extra exposure time is necessary using a filter like the IDAS?

I really appreciate your helpful suggestion. I am discouraged that I wasted two nights imaging the Rosette, but if a filter corrects the star issue, I would gladly acquire one!

Jim

Jim - I've never used a UV/IR cut filter. The IDAS LPS-D1 filter selectively blocks the emission lines from Sodium and Mercury as well as UV and IR (the IR cutoff is past the Ha emission so no problem there). You will just have to experiment with the proper exposure time, but, it passes most of the usable wavelengths. Color balance with this filter wasn't a problem for me either.

Hope this helps,

Steve
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

STEVE333 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:43 am
Juno16 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:36 am

Jim

Jim - I've never used a UV/IR cut filter. The IDAS LPS-D1 filter selectively blocks the emission lines from Sodium and Mercury as well as UV and IR (the IR cutoff is past the Ha emission so no problem there). You will just have to experiment with the proper exposure time, but, it passes most of the usable wavelengths. Color balance with this filter wasn't a problem for me either.

Hope this helps,

Steve
It helps tremendously Steve!

I will start checking them out in the 2” size tomorrow.

I really appreciate your diagnosis. Or should I say the re-diagnosis.

I have been fretting over this image for the last two days and will gladly try a filter to remedy this! Actually, I might really benefit :text-welcomewave: from the lp reduction features too!

Thanks again Steve for your help.

Jim
Jim

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Juno16 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:51 am It helps tremendously Steve!

I have been fretting over this image for the last two days and will gladly try a filter to remedy this! Actually, I might really benefit :text-welcomewave: from the lp reduction features too!

Jim

You're most welcome Jim - I've received much help from members of these forums, and, am glad when I get a chance to help someone else.

The IDAS LPS-D1 definitely helped with my LP. Hopefully it will help for yours too.

Have fun,

Steve
goldstar
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by goldstar »

I tend to suffer some halos too. I wouldn't say grey, more blue.
I shot in Bortle 6, Canon XS ( modded) on a 80 mm f7.5 ED, guided and with a Baader Moon and Sky glow filter.
Shot on 2019 12 28, seeing was awful, even stars at the zenith twinkling furiously and transparency poor.
2 hrs of 120 sec exp. Stacked in DSS and processed in StarTools. It should be a lot better than it is.
I have learned that the color module in ST does tend to exaggerate the halos so use very judiciously ( if you use ST).
BUT! I got the Baader filter for just this reason and can say it is very beneficial and even so the halos are still larger than I would like.
I would like to blame the conditions as all bad workmen do....
Yours is pretty good...
Rosette 201912 28a.jpg
Attachments
Rosette 201912 28a.jpg
Scopes: 200mm f6 DOB:CR 6 150 mm f 7.5 refractor, SW ED 80 mm f 7.5. 2 X 80 mm f7.5 guides.
Mount: AVX.
NexGuide auto guider. Cameras 3 Ti and XS modded. I optron Skytracker.
Motley EP collection.
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

STEVE333 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:16 am
Juno16 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:51 am It helps tremendously Steve!

Jim

You're most welcome Jim - I've received much help from members of these forums, and, am glad when I get a chance to help someone else.

The IDAS LPS-D1 definitely helped with my LP. Hopefully it will help for yours too.

Have fun,

Steve
My primary concern in the halo, but light pollution remediation would be nice too!

Thanks again Steve!

Jim
Jim

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

goldstar wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:37 am I tend to suffer some halos too. I wouldn't say grey, more blue.
I shot in Bortle 6, Canon XS ( modded) on a 80 mm f7.5 ED, guided and with a Baader Moon and Sky glow filter.
Shot on 2019 12 28, seeing was awful, even stars at the zenith twinkling furiously and transparency poor.
2 hrs of 120 sec exp. Stacked in DSS and processed in StarTools. It should be a lot better than it is.
I have learned that the color module in ST does tend to exaggerate the halos so use very judiciously ( if you use ST).
BUT! I got the Baader filter for just this reason and can say it is very beneficial and even so the halos are still larger than I would like.
Yours is pretty good...Rosette 201912 28a.jpg
Hi Goldstar,

Definitely! I see them (unfortunately) and they are more blue, but very similar to my halo. With the filter too. Looks like we have the same issue. Very interesting. I thought that I could process it out in Startools, but unsuccessful so far (I will probably give it up).

I just threw this process together last night (about 30 tries so far) and I am with you on the seeing. Was poor here too. I also captured over two hours and I could deal with the image much better is the stars were better.
Rosette with culled lights again!.jpg
I have had pretty good luck with the Color module recently. I found out last night that my halo's are there after the autodev (post wipe) and there wasn't much I could do at that point. I tried manual dev and the halo's aren't as noticable, but the process is not as good.

Actually, that snip that I included on the original post was processed with a drizzle in DSS. I will look into that more. 1.1gb fits file though! Very interesting results for sure.

Thanks for your input! Unfortunately, I am a little bit more confused now!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

who cares about your stars :lol: , pretty good image !!! where is the full frame? haha

I was going to say ca from the scope,but as steve said it might be response/ saturation in wavelengths ,like when doing mono imaging one should try to balance out the histogram so the star brightness is the same for say going from a dark ha filter to a oiii filter or doing ha/ rgb , i think some people do a mix of ha and u/v/ir cut off to correct this for the lum channel. i usually just fix any star problems in post .

I think if you look at most of my images they will have a small amounts of halo from the oiii filter.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Thanks Yobbo!

Yeah, I liked it until I shot in and examined the stars. Actually, it is noticeable in the "full frame" image as a kind of "out of focus" look.

That is the full frame! I knew with the ES ED102,my fov would clip some of the nebula off, but also, I plate solved on NGC 2244 (looked like a better frame in Skysafari. I started imaging and after awhile I noticed the framing. Oh well, I didn't want to restart imaging and waste time, so I just kept imaging. I don't have a FR yet.

I am looking at the IDAS filter that Steve mentioned. I will have to rob from Harry to pay Paul since my astro budget is depleted for now. However, for better looking stars, I will rob someone (myself)!

I also wanted to say that I heard you mention a drizzle stack in one of your posts. I tried it quickly (well, really not that quickly) and it produced a giant 1.13 gb file! Processing was somewhat slower in Startools, but what a difference! I will have to look into that more when I get better control of my stars.

Here is a fast process of the drizzled stack.
Rosette with drizzle.jpg
Big difference! Kind of messy, but it was just a test. The star "halo" was more prominent.

Thanks for your advice!

Jim
Jim

UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

It's simply star bloat. The pixel sites where the stars are are saturated as in 'full well' they just cant take any more so it spills into adjacent pixels.

When the image get's stretched a lot the spill over shows up. Also some processing techniques when used to heavy handed can lead to these halos, noise reduction, sharpening, fussing with wavelet layers, etc. Frankly the first image looks like it was a bit over stretched. :)

There are three solutions. Get a good filter, shorten the exposures, or just learn to live with it ;)
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

UlteriorModem wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:43 pm It's simply star bloat. The pixel sites where the stars are are saturated as in 'full well' they just cant take any more so it spills into adjacent pixels.

When the image get's stretched a lot the spill over shows up. Also some processing techniques when used to heavy handed can lead to these halos, noise reduction, sharpening, fussing with wavelet layers, etc. Frankly the first image looks like it was a bit over stretched. :)

There are three solutions. Get a good filter, shorten the exposures, or just learn to live with it ;)
Thanks Tom for adding star bloat as an issue. The filter should help with that. Also, I know that the subs that were shot early had a really far right histogram peak. That couldn’t have helped either as you mentioned. I should have cranked down in the iso to reduce the exposure.

There is probably over stretching going on especially in the first cropped post of the drizzled stack. That image was the best example of the halo.
I will give it a whirl later and try to back off on the settings that you mentioned.

Thanks Tom!

Jim
Jim

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

star mask ., i forgot to add that as a side note, a star mask helps protect the stars so you can stretch out the data of the nebulosity or protect the nebulosity so you can edit the stars. good processing techniques goes a long way to help reduce those optical defects but the best method is to go straight to the source .
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

yobbo89 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:15 pm star mask ., i forgot to add that as a side note, a star mask helps protect the stars so you can stretch out the data of the nebulosity or protect the nebulosity so you can edit the stars. good processing techniques goes a long way to help reduce those optical defects but the best method is to go straight to the source .
Got you there!

I just played around again with the image using a manual develope (stretch) in Startools. The gray halo is reduced, but I have a blue ring like goldstar was talking about. Still better and still need a filter, but interesting.

Since it is my "best shot" at the Rosette for now, I will post it in a new thread.

Thanks everyone for the super suggestions! I will order a idas-lps-d1 soon and back off on the stretch!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

yobbo89 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:15 pm star mask ., i forgot to add that as a side note, a star mask helps protect the stars so you can stretch out the data of the nebulosity or protect the nebulosity so you can edit the stars. good processing techniques goes a long way to help reduce those optical defects but the best method is to go straight to the source .
This is a good point. As I mentioned when pixels or photosites get saturated or full the processing software tries to average them out to surrounding pixels. A good star mask kind of takes the saturated areas out of the picture.

Everyone has to deal with this to some degree or another.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Thanks Tom!

Yes, the mask is a good thing to try.

I just posted a less saturated version that looks better. I will try out the star mask later.

Thanks!

Jim
Jim

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

goldstar wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:37 am I tend to suffer some halos too. I wouldn't say grey, more blue.
Yours is pretty good...Rosette 201912 28a.jpg
Hi Goldstar,

I did get some help with the issue from the Startools forum. Actually, the link that they sent to me was more similar to your blue halo issue. I used some of the techniques and they did help. Perhaps some of them could help you. http://forum.startools.org/viewtopic.ph ... 4&start=10

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Hey Jim?

While I was doing some research yesterday I had another thought. Do you know what your arc second per pixel scale is?

If not go here and you can calculate it.

https://astronomy.tools/calculators/ccd
Tom

Current Equipment: