PI ... all channels exactly the same?

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

PI ... all channels exactly the same?

Post by UlteriorModem »

I posted this over on PI's forum but thought I would also post it here. Hopefully someone might have an idea. Might also help someone in the future :D

I was working on a mosaic of M33 and it went together okay but I could not seem to coax any color out of it.

Image75 m33 by Tom Whit, on Flickr

Let me explain that I was not happy with the 'Master' integrations produced by WBPP so I took the 'registered' output from WBPP and integrated them manually. Which seemed to work fine except, again, all channels are EXACTLY the same!? The subs appear to have been de-mosaiced and I see three channels in the histogram, but they are identical!

Have a look at this histogram. (You can click the image, then click again for a close up view).

ImagePI no color by Tom Whit, on Flickr

What am I overlooking?
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: PI ... all channels exactly the same?

Post by STEVE333 »

Hi Tom - Sounds like a confusing problem.

Is there color in the individual panels before they are combined?

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Stuart United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Stuart »

Yeah, I saw that post on the PI forum. People can be a little snarky and curt there. I've only done one mosaic and it was a couple of years ago. Is there color data there? If you open up histogram transformation, do you see three different levels of R,G,B color?
Personal equipment: TEC 140 F7 on Astro-Physics Mach 1 mount. Camera QSI 683ws7. Guide with Vario guiding scope
Shared equipment through Star Shadows Remote Observatory through PROMPT/ CTIO/Chile 16" RCOS 16803 chip
Shared equipment through San Diego Astronomy Society 14" RC with 16803 chip on a paramount
Software (for my stuff) PemPRO, SGP, PHD, Focus Boss, ASCOM, and Pixinsight on the other end.
JimMinCT United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JimMinCT »

I noticed that you are trying to look at linear data with the histogram. (The auto stretch icon is on). That won't work right.
Either use the screen transfer for linear, or the histogram for stretched.
Go back and grab a single frame from each original file set and try combining them.
It'll be noisy as Hell, but you'll see if you have color or not.
Good Luck
Cheers
OTA's: Kson 1026-C, 4" Carbon Fiber ED Refractor, Home-built, 6.1", f/2.? APO refractor... (In Progress) 8" Meade LX2 SCT Mounts: CGX Imaging: ZWO ASI 1600MM, Canon 550D (T2i) Software: PixInsight, APT, PHD2, SharpCap, SGP, Stellarium, Registax, Stuff: Astro-Tech 0.8x FR/FF, Hotech SCA FF, ZWO 7nm 31mm LRGB-SHO filter set, ZWO 8 position EFWObsy: "Maybe Spaceship" Observatory
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Stuart »

Stuart wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:53 pm Yeah, I saw that post on the PI forum. People can be a little snarky and curt there. I've only done one mosaic and it was a couple of years ago. Is there color data there? If you open up histogram transformation, do you see three different levels of R,G,B color?
Never mind. I see your histogram. Odd. I'd have to go back to the book and look up the process. Sorry I can't be more help.
Personal equipment: TEC 140 F7 on Astro-Physics Mach 1 mount. Camera QSI 683ws7. Guide with Vario guiding scope
Shared equipment through Star Shadows Remote Observatory through PROMPT/ CTIO/Chile 16" RCOS 16803 chip
Shared equipment through San Diego Astronomy Society 14" RC with 16803 chip on a paramount
Software (for my stuff) PemPRO, SGP, PHD, Focus Boss, ASCOM, and Pixinsight on the other end.
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Solved... for future readers, the issue was the wrong Bayer pattern was selected. For the ASI071mc-pro it is RGGB. :D

ImageM33 OSC2 fixed by Tom Whit, on Flickr

By the way that is not the mosaic. It is some mediocre data I picked up last night before it got totally overcast!
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Stuart »

Hey Tom, I'm glad you fixed the problem.