Milkyway .. HOW DID I DO? with limited experience...

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Scott Maze
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Milkyway .. HOW DID I DO? with limited experience...

Post by Scott Maze »

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gd6fzslelqps ... xFDZa?dl=0

Are these OK results... considering originals were on cellphone in September... unplanned...
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Milkyway .. HOW DID I DO? with limited experience...

Post by yobbo89 »

The image tabs look promising, i'll have a look!, i remember your last attempt, looks like an improvement.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

I had a look but unfortunately there isn't much to salvage again. your data is swamped with a lot of noise , just judging by the amount of signal ,it may take several hours of imaging at 10 sec exposure which looks like your limit, with the exact framing so the data can be stacked and produce something reasonable to work with. just so you don't keep pulling your hair out, are still using your cell phone ? have you tried a darker site?, consider investing in bigger/faster aperture and a more sensitive camera ?
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Scott Maze
Earth Ambassador

Post by Scott Maze »

Thank you for looking again!

I have found a program, Light room... and improved my results... I understand how poor my originals are... they were unplanned...

i am wondering are my results good enough or decent considering the originals... could someone else make "magic from the originals"? I just don't know...or don't think so... not that I am any good... just catch on quickly... BUT... one never knows... and one doesn't want to overestimate his ability...

I plan on using a camera next time... I could PM when the time gets closer... May June July August in USA Georgia Tennessee... this project... work.. is just for memories and to put into a short video clip of our vacation... I just want the best results I can get from the originals... which aren't that good... and a video reduces quality results even more...

We made a fire in a pit on the beach and the whole family sat around for an hour... as the fire died.. I saw and recognized the milky-way... daughter saw it too... but she thought it was her eyes or some kind of smoke.. pretty faint for September... in USA... So my 10 yr old girl and I went back the next night and shot at the Google recommendations for a cell phone... on the beach... priceless memories...

Plan next trip to Okefenokee in south Ga swamp... level 2 for Dark Sky... and will have a camera and tripod... and decent lenses..

Thank you again for you kind thoughts and response,

sincerely Scott
maceemiller
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by maceemiller »

Hi there.

I have taken what looks like exactly the same image on my smartphone too! If I didn't know it was your image I'd swear it was mine.

I've tried to improve on my image with Photoshop, Topaz Studio 2, Darktable but I've found it impossible, probably due to the fact it's on a phone (Samsung S9PLUS at 10 second exposure)

What I did find though whilst playing with the post processing that, blowing out some of the levels, I could see much more of the Milky way.....the image was terrible yet it just proved to me that the smartphone "did" capture quite a lot, albeit not for human eye consumption.

Great pictures though. Certainly keep going :)
Scott Maze
Earth Ambassador

Post by Scott Maze »

maceemiller wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:38 pm Hi there.

I have taken what looks like exactly the same image on my smartphone too! If I didn't know it was your image I'd swear it was mine.

I've tried to improve on my image with Photoshop, Topaz Studio 2, Darktable but I've found it impossible, probably due to the fact it's on a phone (Samsung S9PLUS at 10 second exposure)

What I did find though whilst playing with the post processing that, blowing out some of the levels, I could see much more of the Milky way.....the image was terrible yet it just proved to me that the smartphone "did" capture quite a lot, albeit not for human eye consumption.

Great pictures though. Certainly keep going :)

Thanks for looking and responding.

These were impromptu at the beach, and my 10 yr old girl helped me... so great memories.

I am planning a trip to Okeefenokee dark sky and clingmans dome this summer with a dslr and tripod and lense.

I hope to get better results with luck and planning.

Sincerely Scott
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

before you do head out make sure to head on back here and some of us can help with your pre setup. camera settings, and determine the exposure length without star trails. ectt.

Scott Maze
Earth Ambassador

Post by Scott Maze »

yobbo89 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:08 am before you do head out make sure to head on back here and some of us can help with your pre setup. camera settings, and determine the exposure length without star trails. ectt.
Thank you! I will check back in early march... I have booked, weather permitting, a stay in the okeefenoke swamp in south georgia... the darkest sky near us.

And a return trip in april to the same location