Pixinsight - BPP vs Manual

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Aidi
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Pixinsight - BPP vs Manual

Post by Aidi »

Knowing there is quite a good following in here with users using PI.. Whats the thoughts on using BPP for calibration, registration, stacking etc vs doing it manually?

Are the results from BPP quite a way off from doing it manually? Is one really better than the other, or just personal preference?

I must admit, i just shove everything into BPP after blinking the subs to get rid of any excessive trails etc. Generally i'm quite pleased with the results. I know the process for doing it manually and have tinkered with it, but not really tried doing a full set of subs from start to finish.
Rgds
Aidi

Equipment: Skywatcher Esprit 120 | Altair Astro 70mm Quadruplet| EQ-6 R Pro | QHY PoleMaster | QHY5L-II Autoguide Camera | ZWO OAG | PHD2 | EQMOD/ASCOM | Atik 460ex Mono| ZWO ASI 1600mm Pro| Pegasus UPB & Focusers | SGP Pro | CDC | PS 2017 | PixInsight
XCalRocketMan United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Pixinsight - BPP vs Manual

Post by XCalRocketMan »

I have used the BPP method on a number of occasions, but I prefer the manual route as I have more control over how things work. I have a list of process icons that I have previously set up and simply execute each in order following my generic process. I have a Workspace for Calibration and Integration, Postprocessing OSC, Post Processing LRGB/NB and a spare that I place testing processes. Most of these pre-filled out processes come from various internet sources, including Warren Keller's "Inside PixInsight" (highly recommended).
Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Mounts AP1100GTO mount w/APCCpro; iOptron iEQ30 Pro; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Lenses Hyperstar-III; Celestron 0.7x FR; WO Flat/Reducer 0.8x
Guiding Celestron OAG w/ASI174mm mini; WO 50mm; Orion ST80
Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans
Software NINA; PHD; APT; BYE; PI; APP; PSP; Registax; FireCapture; SharpCap
Blog at: SkyAndRockets
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

I try to keep my processing simple. For the vast majority of my images, I use BPP. I'll fiddle around with manual steps if there is a compelling reason to do so, but mostly I am happy with the results I get from BPP.

I'd rather spend my time working on my images than learning advanced PI processes. I doubt if I use even 10% of what PI can do. But it gives me nice results with just the basics.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

I use BPP almost exclusively. With master calibration files. Saves a lot of time and effort. Once configured I think it can do just a good a job as I can manually. Once configured that is ;)

One key thing is to cull your subframes either visually with Blink and or with the Subframe Selector Script. Garbage in garbage out :)

I just wish there was a way to save all the settings in the script. I tried making a process icon but all it did was open the script with the default settings.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
Aidi
Mars Ambassador

Post by Aidi »

Glad it’s not just me then!

Not sure why saving the process is not working for you Tom, pretty sure it works on my pc... I’ll test and let you know
Rgds
Aidi

Equipment: Skywatcher Esprit 120 | Altair Astro 70mm Quadruplet| EQ-6 R Pro | QHY PoleMaster | QHY5L-II Autoguide Camera | ZWO OAG | PHD2 | EQMOD/ASCOM | Atik 460ex Mono| ZWO ASI 1600mm Pro| Pegasus UPB & Focusers | SGP Pro | CDC | PS 2017 | PixInsight
jmfloater United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Post by jmfloater »

After checking all lights using blink I use BPP for calibration of light, dark and flat frames only . Then I run Cosmetic Correction, Alignment, Normalization and Integration manually. Doesn't really matter as long as you are happy with the results.
John

Imaging scope Stellavue SV80S on a Losmandy G11 mount. Roll off roof observatory.
Software: PixInsight, SGPro, Phd2.
Stuart United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Stuart »

I used to be manual for everything, but lately I've been doing more BPP up until calibration. I haven't seen much difference and it's way faster. I put everything in and then I get a sandwich.
However, I stop at calibration. After that I'll go "manual" to cosmetic correction, then Subframe Selector, then star alignment and then integration.

So I guess I do a hybrid approach.
Personal equipment: TEC 140 F7 on Astro-Physics Mach 1 mount. Camera QSI 683ws7. Guide with Vario guiding scope
Shared equipment through Star Shadows Remote Observatory through PROMPT/ CTIO/Chile 16" RCOS 16803 chip
Shared equipment through San Diego Astronomy Society 14" RC with 16803 chip on a paramount
Software (for my stuff) PemPRO, SGP, PHD, Focus Boss, ASCOM, and Pixinsight on the other end.
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Aidi wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:31 pm I must admit, i just shove everything into BPP after blinking the subs to get rid of any excessive trails etc.

Just FYI - I never remove a frame of data just because of satellite/airplane trails. I live in the flight path for San Jose International Airport, so, almost every set of data has at least one or more trails. If you have a reasonable number of Light frames to stack (probably 15 or more) the Imageintegration step will completely remove the trails but keep the rest of the data. This will improve your final image.

That's been my experience for the last 3 1/2 years, and, I've never seen any trails in the stacked data.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

My vast experience (having integrated two objects :)) is that I am using the manual process to understand what is going on. My first process took a couple of days, my second one got done in about two hours. I will try out the BPP at some point, but for now will continue with the manual method. As Kathy said, I am scratching the surface of PI, and liking what I am seeing so far.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ben Cartwright SASS »

I downloaded the trial version of PI and am going to try it, the question is BPP

All the images I am getting from the Slooh scopes are already calibrated. What I seem to see is that if you try to use BPP it wants to force you to use master flats and darks etc, I don't have them since they are already done when I get the fits files.
I might not always be right but I am never wrong, once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken...

Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #59
Free advice is seldom cheap

"Sometimes having is not so pleasing as wanting, it's not logical but it is true"
Commander Spock

Canon DSLR's R7, R6II, 5D, 7D2, 90D 21 lenses incl. 100-400L mk ii, 70-200L mk iii f/2.8, RF600/11
Lunt LS50 DS, LS80 DS, Lunt 102ED, Stellarvue SV80 APO, Orion ST80, 127 MAK, Skywatcher Evostar 120ED, 102 MAK, Celestron 8" Edge HD, 102AZ
Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
ZWO ASI071MC-cool, ASI174mm, ASI174mm-cool, ASI178MC-cool, ASI290 mini, ASI120MM-S, ASI120MC Revolution Player One mm (178 chip)
jmfloater United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Post by jmfloater »

Ben, if they are already calibrated then the next step I would do is cosmetic correction though this also may be unnecessary. Do a star alignment on the images and then integrate them. Unless I missed something you should be ready to combine them at that point.
John

Imaging scope Stellavue SV80S on a Losmandy G11 mount. Roll off roof observatory.
Software: PixInsight, SGPro, Phd2.
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Stuart »

HI Ben, Agree with John. If your images are calibrated no need to use BPP. If you don't want to do Cosmetic Correction or SFS, then just go straight to star alignment and image integration
Personal equipment: TEC 140 F7 on Astro-Physics Mach 1 mount. Camera QSI 683ws7. Guide with Vario guiding scope
Shared equipment through Star Shadows Remote Observatory through PROMPT/ CTIO/Chile 16" RCOS 16803 chip
Shared equipment through San Diego Astronomy Society 14" RC with 16803 chip on a paramount
Software (for my stuff) PemPRO, SGP, PHD, Focus Boss, ASCOM, and Pixinsight on the other end.
ram United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by ram »

I used to use BPP all the time to produce an integrated image from the raw captured frames but this year I've started doing things manually after running into some issues with Sharpcap's dark frame capturing (had to manually create a master dark but I was able to figure this out with help and by redoing each of the steps in BPP manually). These days I find it fun (?) to check the first frame and compare statistics to the master dark frame, and then make sure everything is happening correctly at every step of the way (i.e., examine the statistics, see below). It turns out there's nothing I'm doing manually that goes beyond what BPP does but I feel I messed up on the previous issue (trusting Sharpcap's master darks which for some reason aren't reliable I find - it's happened twice now) by just pushing buttons without thinking that I now see the value in doing the steps and checking the result of each step.

I also think if you are going to use SubframeSelector, then I don't see how BPP helps. SubframeSelector is done after calibration (and debayering if you are using an OSC) and if you're doing this step manually, you can do the remaining two steps manually (especially depends on how you use the results of SS, see below).

In the case of M31, I did use it to throw out some frames but for every other target I integrate them all anyway so all this does is give me an idea of what the data looks like. This is useful in tempering expectations - for instance, if I have really good statistics then I should be able to produce a certain kind of image compared to having bad statistics.

The way I use PI is very similar to the way I use many GUI tools, i.e., I use the Unix file system to organise things on the Mac at the prompt and use a lot of command line tools - so different directories/folders for different things and BPP sets up things its own way but by doing the steps manually I can organise things my way and especially with SS I can have directories containing the top half exposures (according to my criteria) or the top 75% or what have you.

--Ram
Tubes: Celestron 9.25" 235mm f/10 XLT EdgeHD SCT; Meade ETX 80mm f/5 achromat; Coronado SolarMax II 60mm f/6.6 Hα <0.7Å BF10 solar; Stellarvue 70mm f/6 triplet apochromat; Obsession UC18 457mm f/4.2 with Argo Navis & ServoCAT; Takahashi FS128 5" f/8.1 and FC100DF 4" f/7.4 fluorite doublet apochromats. Mounts: AVX; LXD75; Paramount MyT. Eyepieces: 2" Tele Vue Ethos 4.7/13/21mm, Paracorr, 2,4x Powermate; Stellarvue 0.8x, Takahashi 0.7x, 0.66x reducer/corrector. Cameras: ZWO ASI120MC-S; Lodestar X2c; X2m; Canon T7i; QHY163M; QHY247C; QHY294M-Pro. Filters: 1.25" Astrodon 5nm Ha, 3nm O3 and S2; Chroma LRGB.
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Stuart »

Hi Ram,
You can use BPP to calibrate the images by clicking "calibrate only" and then go manually from there.