Stacked too many images?

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
maceemiller
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Stacked too many images?

Post by maceemiller »

Hi all.

Last night I went out with my smartphone and tripod and took 94 , 10 second exposure RAW images of a section of sky.

I stacked them using DSS and Sequator and both have produced images with quite a bit of star movement and blurring.

Have I simply stacked too many images? I normally only stack about 15-20.

Any advice appreciated.

Carl
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Stacked too many images?

Post by yobbo89 »

What settings did you use, what's the histogram before stacking, i think dds does a preview stretch, check with other software?
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

maceemiller
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by maceemiller »

Iso 800 .... 10 second exposures.

DSS histogram seemed a little separated yet not by much.
I just went with recommend settings
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

You might have to upload.. What file type is the raw data?
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

depratnt United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by depratnt »

Right click on one of the images after you've upload them into DSS and select "use as reference frame". That may help you out.
Scopes: GSO 8rc
Mount: iOptron CEM60
Camera: ASI1600mm-PRO
Guide cam: QHY5L-ii monochrome
Filters: Astrodon Ha/Oiii )3nm) / LRGB
l
maceemiller
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by maceemiller »

yobbo89 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:23 am You might have to upload.. What file type is the raw data?
They are .dng

Never had this problem before using these file types. Just wondering if if should manually go through every image first and delete any bad ones. I probably should have done that first in hindsight however I'm still very new to stacking.
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

I think culling out any bad subs would help. If there are enough of them, they could mess with the result. FWIW, the largest number of subs I have run through DSS in one pass is about 130, so it is capable of handling the number of subs you are trying to feed through it.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Brian
Moon Ambassador

Post by Brian »

In principle more subs is better and I certainly stack more than 100 regularly. As [mention]bobharmony[/mention] mentioned, a few bad subs can mess up the result. Median stacks are less sensitive to bad subs than Average(mean) stacks. Have you tried to use a Median stack?
XCalRocketMan United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by XCalRocketMan »

Brian wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:06 pm In principle more subs is better and I certainly stack more than 100 regularly. As @bobharmony mentioned, a few bad subs can mess up the result. Median stacks are less sensitive to bad subs than Average(mean) stacks. Have you tried to use a Median stack?
I always precheck my subs and delete the bad ones. Using PixInsight I either use the 'blink' process to manually check each or the 'subframe selector' which gives a statistical result for each sub.
Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Mounts AP1100GTO mount w/APCCpro; iOptron iEQ30 Pro; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Lenses Hyperstar-III; Celestron 0.7x FR; WO Flat/Reducer 0.8x
Guiding Celestron OAG w/ASI174mm mini; WO 50mm; Orion ST80
Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans
Software NINA; PHD; APT; BYE; PI; APP; PSP; Registax; FireCapture; SharpCap
Blog at: SkyAndRockets