Flats trouble?

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Stuart United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Flats trouble?

Post by Stuart »

James,

Can you upload two examples that I can take a look at? The first being what you think is a good flat and the other your "maximum" flat (with your pixels saturated and the resulting image white?). I need to see it so I can figure it out.

Stu
Personal equipment: TEC 140 F7 on Astro-Physics Mach 1 mount. Camera QSI 683ws7. Guide with Vario guiding scope
Shared equipment through Star Shadows Remote Observatory through PROMPT/ CTIO/Chile 16" RCOS 16803 chip
Shared equipment through San Diego Astronomy Society 14" RC with 16803 chip on a paramount
Software (for my stuff) PemPRO, SGP, PHD, Focus Boss, ASCOM, and Pixinsight on the other end.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Have you guys tried a piece of software called Astrophotography Lab? It is freeware and was promoted by the author over on AF about 2 years ago. It is a very powerful title for image and sensor analysis as long as you have your sensor detailed specs. Give it a try and see what you think.
http://lars-frogner.github.io/Astrophot ... index.html

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

SkyHiker wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:31 pm Can't you just use the camera's LCD screen to judge if the lighting was sufficient? This is what I do, regardless of whether I take them at night or the morning after and it seems to work fine. If it looks medium grayish with the sides a bit darker, it's good.

At night I use a white stucco wall that I aim my headlamp at. Since the scope does not have the wall in focus it looks evenly white to the camera. That way flicker is als no problem. In the morning I use a flattened paper towel.

It sounds crude but I have no reason to believe it's wrong, from experience. I have a feeling that there's a good deal of tolerance or else it would not work.

But thanks for raising the problem, and I would like to know if you get noticeably better results eventually.
Henk - I have been operating under the same assumption as you for a long time. Lately I have seen people suggesting that using what we have been doing may be underexposing the flats and I am checking out that possibility for myself. My main issue is the noise level in my stacked images, I am seeing if brighter flats can reduce that as it seems they will add less noise to the final result. For sensor and cc spot removal they have been working well.

I will report on my results. So far it seems that processing with brighter flats allows me to either stretch the data further with the same apparent noise level, or to get the same level of detail with less noise.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Baskevo wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:15 am

Here is your ADU value:

Screen Shot 2019-11-04 at 10.12.42 PM.png

Did you find out what your maximum ADU value is, though? Because yours could be 30,000 in which it is still too dark, or it could be 15,000, in which it is too bright, from my understanding
James - I would love to see what you come up with by changing the image to 14 bit. If the mean ADU drops to around 4K, that will tell me how much further I need to go. Your numbers are falling pretty close to Peters, so I am not sure what to expect.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

Stuart wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:54 pm James,

Can you upload two examples that I can take a look at? The first being what you think is a good flat and the other your "maximum" flat (with your pixels saturated and the resulting image white?). I need to see it so I can figure it out.

Stu
This is a full exposure, maximum brightness, 20 second exposure. Same numbers as my 15 second exposure. No shirt or anything to block the light, so it is the maximum mean ADU value I can obtain, measuring at 16-bit:
Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 8.19.25 PM.png
This is a flat I took recently, it's more than 51% of the maximum mean ADU value, so I was a little worried about it, but it worked perfectly and cleared up my dust motes. I got this method from the website I shared earlier in this post, which I followed step-by-step:
Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 8.22.56 PM.png
I thought my camera is measured in 16-bit because it is a canon (I don't know, that stuff kind of confuses me). at 14-bit, the over-exposed flat mean ADU value was around 4,000.

JT thank you for sharing that! I'm going to check it out!
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Stuart »

James,
Can you upload the actual files to dropbox or something? It's hard for me to tell with the screen shots.
Stu
Personal equipment: TEC 140 F7 on Astro-Physics Mach 1 mount. Camera QSI 683ws7. Guide with Vario guiding scope
Shared equipment through Star Shadows Remote Observatory through PROMPT/ CTIO/Chile 16" RCOS 16803 chip
Shared equipment through San Diego Astronomy Society 14" RC with 16803 chip on a paramount
Software (for my stuff) PemPRO, SGP, PHD, Focus Boss, ASCOM, and Pixinsight on the other end.
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

Stuart wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:46 am James,
Can you upload the actual files to dropbox or something? It's hard for me to tell with the screen shots.
Stu
sure here you are: https://photos.app.goo.gl/FT5g3s3zWR5DTEmX7
-James W.

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

JayTee wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:00 am Have you guys tried a piece of software called Astrophotography Lab? It is freeware and was promoted by the author over on AF about 2 years ago. It is a very powerful title for image and sensor analysis as long as you have your sensor detailed specs. Give it a try and see what you think.

Cheers,
JT
JT, thanks for that link. I will give that a shot, it's about time I start doing my own lifting on measuring my flats :)

Bob

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

bobharmony wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:32 am
SkyHiker wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:31 pm Can't you just use the camera's LCD screen to judge if the lighting was sufficient? This is what I do, regardless of whether I take them at night or the morning after and it seems to work fine. If it looks medium grayish with the sides a bit darker, it's good.

At night I use a white stucco wall that I aim my headlamp at. Since the scope does not have the wall in focus it looks evenly white to the camera. That way flicker is als no problem. In the morning I use a flattened paper towel.

It sounds crude but I have no reason to believe it's wrong, from experience. I have a feeling that there's a good deal of tolerance or else it would not work.

But thanks for raising the problem, and I would like to know if you get noticeably better results eventually.
Henk - I have been operating under the same assumption as you for a long time. Lately I have seen people suggesting that using what we have been doing may be underexposing the flats and I am checking out that possibility for myself. My main issue is the noise level in my stacked images, I am seeing if brighter flats can reduce that as it seems they will add less noise to the final result. For sensor and cc spot removal they have been working well.

I will report on my results. So far it seems that processing with brighter flats allows me to either stretch the data further with the same apparent noise level, or to get the same level of detail with less noise.

Bob
Thanks Bob

I took a look at some of my flats. I don't have many because I toss them after they are used to save disk space. But they vary quite a bit. In the end it's all about the master flat, those I keep. I looked the histogram in the corners vs. the center and the largest difference I found in the count was about a factor 2. In other cases it was less, this may depend on the scope used.

I think the proper way to look at it is to brighten the flat using a linear curve from the origin at zero (black point) to the maximum of the histogram (set the white point there). If that stretched image looks smooth to the eye it ought to be good enough because the effect is multiplicative. Well with the inverse of course but in that range of a factor 2 max, it would look smooth too if the flat itself looks smooth.

Many of the flats I have look too close to the origin (left) but some of the later ones are further to the right. Despite that, most of them look smooth enough that I would trust them to do the job. So, I'm still skeptical about how critical this is.

With darks it's quite different because its effect is by subtraction, so noisy darks can be really bad for the end result because you are subtracting small noisy numbers from small noisy numbers. With multiplication of flats, a simple smoothness check should be good enough and it's not all that sensitive. But true, further to the right is better but I don't think it is the bottleneck in most cases.

Again, thanks for looking into it. If you find kmprovement I would like to see some actual results and comparisons, if that's possible.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Stuart »

James? Are you shooting in .jpg? The files you uploaded were .jpg files. If so, that's your problem. You should be shooting in RAW. If you're shooting in .jpg none of this will work.
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

Stuart wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:52 pm James? Are you shooting in .jpg? The files you uploaded were .jpg files. If so, that's your problem. You should be shooting in RAW. If you're shooting in .jpg none of this will work.
No, they are not jpg? They are .CR2 files which are canon raws.. why do you think they are .jpg..?
Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 1.27.04 PM.png
hmm I just downloaded the files from google photos and for some reason they download as .jpg files. They are not .jpg files though. let me try uploading them some where else
-James W.

Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

-James W.

Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Stuart »

Those worked.
I extracted the lightness from each so I'd get a single value as opposed to an RGB value
The over exposed one I get a value of 65,533 which is what I would expect from a saturated chip
The regular flat I get a value of 41,517.6. That's a bit bright. Looking at your FITS header you were at 3.2 seconds (not sure that's accurate) But assuming it is, and you want a value of 30,000 then I'd go 31,000/41,517 X 3.2 = 2.3 seconds.

I can post screen shots if you want.
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

Stuart wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:58 pm Those worked.
I extracted the lightness from each so I'd get a single value as opposed to an RGB value
The over exposed one I get a value of 65,533 which is what I would expect from a saturated chip
The regular flat I get a value of 41,517.6. That's a bit bright. Looking at your FITS header you were at 3.2 seconds (not sure that's accurate) But assuming it is, and you want a value of 30,000 then I'd go 31,000/41,517 X 3.2 = 2.3 seconds.

I can post screen shots if you want.
Yeah can you?

How are you extracting the lightness? I'm measuring it as a pure RAW image, so there is no RGB to extract. Is that why you are getting such drastically different numbers than me?
-James W.

Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Stuart »

Okay.

Step 1: Extract the lightness. (There is a button at the top that can shortcut this also)
extract lightness.jpg
Step 2: Open statistics process, find the file, click 16 bit, and measure
Statistics.jpg
Does this help? I only did the one file.
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

Stuart wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:33 am Okay.

Step 1: Extract the lightness. (There is a button at the top that can shortcut this also)
extract lightness.jpg

Step 2: Open statistics process, find the file, click 16 bit, and measure
Statistics.jpg

Does this help? I only did the one file.
Yes I did that earlier. I had to switch back to RGB from gray to be able to do it, but the reading wasn't much higher than 16,000. Are you using the Pure Raw setting under format explorer?
-James W.

Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Stuart »

Uhh.....the what under what now? I didn't mess with anything under that--I just used whatever defaults came with the program. I'm honestly not sure what setting you're referring to. Now I think you're going to have to do a screenshot.
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

Stuart wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:24 am Uhh.....the what under what now? I didn't mess with anything under that--I just used whatever defaults came with the program. I'm honestly not sure what setting you're referring to. Now I think you're going to have to do a screenshot.
Haha Another screenshot :clap: I am currently stacking an image on the final step (the longest step), but I will take a screenshot after it is done.

It is under format explorer -> RAW -> edit preferences, and then I believe on the bottom-left corner you select "pure RAW." apparently this is supposed to make sure PI has the right format for DSLR raw images and doesn't debayer your photos at the wrong time or something? I'm not sure why you are supposed to do it, but every tutorial I've seen recommends it for working with DSLR images. Here's a link showing how to turn on the "right" settings for DSLR raw images: https://dslr-astrophotography.com/dslr- ... ixinsight/

I've never tried it without it, so I can't tell you if it makes a difference or not, but I suspect that is why we are getting different values for ADU. I believe we still had the same concept though :)
-James W.

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

JayTee wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:00 am Have you guys tried a piece of software called Astrophotography Lab? It is freeware and was promoted by the author over on AF about 2 years ago. It is a very powerful title for image and sensor analysis as long as you have your sensor detailed specs. Give it a try and see what you think.

Cheers,
JT
Astrophotography Lab really looks like an amazing piece of FREE software!

I have been experimenting with it some and it has a multitude of very valuable tools. I just need to spend more time and learn how to use its features.

Thanks JT!

Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Stuart »

Hey James,
When I'm back at that computer I'll check. I'm sure it's some setting somewhere. Anyway, your saturated one is saturated, so you want to be 50% of that number.
Stu