Creating a Lunar Mosaic Using a CMOS Camera

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Creating a Lunar Mosaic Using a CMOS Camera

Post by bladekeeper »

Creating a Lunar Mosaic using a CMOS Camera

This tutorial will show you how to capture and create a lunar mosaic using a CMOS camera. A CMOS camera comes from a few different manufacturers such as ZWO, QHY, and Altair Astro, such to name a few of the more popular brands.

Depending on the sensor size of your camera and the focal length of your telescope, you may or may not be able to fit the entirety of the lunar disk within a single frame. If you cannot, building a mosaic following these steps will allow you to easily construct a full-disk image. And even if you can fit the full-disk into a single frame, by adding a barlow lens or a focal extender in front of the camera can allow you to capture more detail on the lunar surface. The resulting composite image (mosaic) will offer better resolution and treat the eye with nice sharp detail of the Moon.

In order to accomplish these steps, you will need the following tools:

A telescope
A mount
A CMOS camera
Appropriate USB cable
A laptop computer
Capture and processing software

Your telescope can be of any design, though scopes with a larger focal ratio (slow scopes such as SCTs and MCTs) will capture smaller portions of the Moon in each panel, often necessitating more captures to build the mosaic. Scopes with smaller focal ratios (fast scopes), such as shorter refactors and reflectors, will typically encompass larger swaths of the Moon, and that means fewer panels for your mosaic. In addition, faster scopes will gather more light quickly, needing shorter exposure time compared to a slower scope.

For your telescope mount, a motorized mount is the best option as this will allow the Moon to remain in position during the capture process. This is doable with a manual mount, but be prepared to hold the scope on target as carefully as possible. This can be a bit frustrating at first, but practice makes perfect when using a manual mount.

A laptop computer is handy as it can be easily taken outside and placed next to the mount and provides the means to operate the CMOS camera, capture the data, and properly store it for processing after capture. The majority of the software available is Windows compatible, though there are options for using other operating systems as well.

For the purposes of this tutorial, I will be using freely available software: SharpCap 3.2, Autostakkert!2, Registax 6, GIMP, and Microsoft Image Composite Editor. At the end of the tutorial I will also be employing StarTools 1.5, but it does require the purchase of a license (at a reasonable cost) to be able to save your work. StarTools is optional to this tutorial and by no means required.

First things first. You need a reasonable clear sky with the Moon available. Since the Moon is quite bright, it can readily cut through thin clouds and sludgy skies and does not require full dark to capture. It is helpful, though, when building a mosaic, to work as quickly as possible if it is not fully dark yet. Otherwise, some of your frames may have a lighter background compared to others as the Sun is still sinking lower below the horizon.

Set up your mount and scope as appropriate, install your CMOS camera (and barlow or focal extender if used), connect the camera to the computer, and open up your capture software. In this instance, we will be using SharpCap 3.2 to capture our data.

I am assuming at this point that you are familiar enough with your equipment that you can get the Moon located and reasonably centered in the frame and have some experience doing this.

For this tutorial, I will be using my Stellarvue SV102T telescope (a 4” apochromatic refractor) with my Celestron Advanced VX mount (a motorized, electronic equatorial mount), my ZWO ASI174MC color CMOS camera, and a 2× barlow lens. The ASI174MC coupled with the 714mm focal length of my scope allows the full lunar disk to fit comfortably within the frame, but by adding the 2× barlow to the mix, I can get in closer to the lunar surface and capture more detail. I usually start off without the barlow so that I can more easily center the Moon with a wider field of view. After I get the Moon centered, I’ll then add the barlow, refocus, and adjust my framing accordingly.

It can be helpful to pan around a bit on the Moon while watching the view on the laptop. This will help you determine how many individual mosaic panels you will need and also adjust your exposure so that the brighter areas of the lunar surface are not blown out (over-exposed). For my cam, scope, and barlow, I find that 3 panels will cover the entirety of a thinner crescent Moon, while 6 panels will nicely cover a quarter to full Moon. The Moon we are capturing on this night is just past quarter phase, so I’ll need to capture 6 panels.

You’ll notice that the image of the Moon on your laptop screen is showing the effects of atmospheric turbulence. The Moon will appear as if it is at the bottom of a pool of water. The more turbulent the atmosphere is, the more the Moon will appear to waver and undulate. This can make it difficult to capture a nice clean shot. To get around this, we’ll not be making single exposures. We’ll be capturing data as a video (AVI or SER formats). This will allow us to quickly capture hundreds of frames. Using our processing software later will allow us to easily sort these frames by the quality and stack the best of the lot for a sharper image. I like to capture my videos using RAW16 and SER format. I typically have my Gain set at 50. Exposure may vary depending on the brightness of the sky or the phase of the Moon. And don’t forget to ensure your color balance is optimal. In SharpCap, I like to tweak my color balance by letting the software auto-select. Once it settles on that, I turn off the auto color balance so that things don’t change between captures.

Next, I’ll select a starting point for my first video capture. In this case, I’ve got the scope sitting on the northeast (upper right) portion of the lunar disk. I’ll be working my way down the disk from this point. Once at the bottom, I’ll move west (left) and work my way back up. Since there are many craters on the lunar surface to use as reference points, it is fairly easy to keep your bearings and ensure that each capture overlaps the previous ones. This is beneficial so that your resulting mosaic does not have any unfortunate gaps in the image. Allow yourself plenty of overlap so that you can crop out stacking artifacts later during processing.

Make sure you are focused as best as you can achieve. Watch the prominent craters and try to make them as sharp as possible. It will not be as sharp as the view through an eyepiece but do try to make it as sharp as you can on the screen.

Here is what my laptop screen looks like at this point:
2019-10-07 (2).jpg
My exposure time is set for 18 milliseconds, my gain is at 50, and I am capturing a SER video file as RAW16. It is important that you not change these settings until you have finished capturing all of the panels for your mosaic.

After clicking the “Start Capture” button on the upper left of the screen, I’ll set my number of frames to 1000. Thus, my resulting SER video file will contain 1000 frame of lunar data. Depending on your exposure, computer memory, and processing speeds, a 1000 frame SER file will take between 30 seconds to a few minutes. Using the AVI file format or RAW8 can go more quickly, but you’ll end up with shallower data and less detail.

Once SharpCap indicates your capture is complete, it is time to adjust the field of view to encompass our next portion of the lunar surface. Using the craters along the bottom of my present field of view, I’ll move the scope until these craters are higher up. Watch the right side of your screen as well to try to keep the Moon in a similar position with regards to side-to-side framing. It doesn’t have to be exact by any means. Reasonably close will suffice. This will help you out later on during the mosaic building process.

After moving the Moon up some, my screen now looks like this:
2019-10-07 (3).jpg
Click “Start Capture” again and hit the OK button to pull in your next 1000 frame video file. Once that is done, adjust again and repeat:
2019-10-07 (4).jpg
Now that I am at the bottom of the lunar disk, I’ll adjust the field of view by sliding the Moon to the right:
2019-10-07 (5).jpg
Capture that field of view, and then work your way back up:
2019-10-07 (6).jpg
And then for the last panel:
2019-10-07 (7).jpg
Once that is done, you have now successfully captured your required panels for your mosaic. For my utilized settings, these six panels have resulted in 24.6 GB of data collected in less than 10 minutes!

At this point, you can stop and bring the laptop back inside, continue to capture more data, or whatever you wish to do. Enjoy!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you are ready to process your video files, you’ll need two pieces of software from the list provided above. For this step in the process, we’ll be using Autostakkert!2 and Registax 6. Autostakkert!2 will open each of our video files that we captured, analyze and sort each frame by quality and then stack the best of these into a single image. We’ll then be moving these stacked images over to Registax 6 for some wavelet sharpening.

I find it helpful to have both of these programs open at the same time. On my PC, as soon as Autostakkert! is done stacking, the image will automatically open up in Registax. That is a handy little feature that can speed up the process some.

In Autostakkert!, locate your video files. SharpCap will typically create a folder on your desktop (or where ever you told it to) called SharpCap Captures. Inside this folder, you’ll find a subfolder typically named with the date of your imaging session. Inside of the subfolder you’ll find your video files, typically named with the time of capture.

Open the first video file in Autostakkert!. Your screen should now look similar to this:
2019-10-07 (8).jpg
On the left panel, you’ll see the large “Open” button. Directly under that, you will see an array of options. You’ll want to choose “Surface” under Image Stabilization. Under Quality Estimator, I find that Gradient and Local (AP) work well. Feel free to experiment though. It doesn’t cost you anything but time.

Over on the right-hand panel that contains the image of the Moon, make sure the green X within the green box is sitting somewhere on the lunar disk. If you need to move this, place the mouse pointer to the desired location, press the CTRL button on your keyboard, and click the mouse at the desired spot.

Next, click the “Analyse” button on the left.

Autostakkert! will evaluate each frame and then sort all of them by quality, best to worse. I find that I get the best-stacked image by using only those frames with a quality rating of 75% or better. This is typically done by using the best 10% of the frames, in my case. To select the best 10% of the frames, find the “Stacking Options” area on the left panel. I always select TIF as my output format and under “Frame percentage to stack” I put 10 (for 10%) in the left-most box.

After analyzing has completed, we now need to set our Alignment Points (AP). On the right panel to the left of the image, you’ll see the Alignment Points box. About halfway down, you should see AP size. For lunar captures, larger alignment points result in better stacking results in my experience, especially with thin crescent Moons. I set my AP size to 144. Once that is done, click the “Place AP grid” button. You should then see a series of green boxes and red dots appear over the lunar image.
2019-10-07 (10).jpg
Next, move back over to the left panel and click the “Stack” button. Autostakkert! will now begin aligning the best 10% of the frames and stacking them into a final stacked TIF image. Once that is done, your screen should look like this:
2019-10-07 (11).jpg
It is time now to move over to Registax. If you had both Autostakkert! and Registax open, you should find your stacked image waiting on you when you switch over to that program. If not, you can open it in Registax by going to the appropriate subfolder and selecting the image. Autostakkert! will create an additional subfolder within the folder containing your video files to place your stacked images in.

Once your image is open in Registax, you should see something like this:
2019-10-07 (12).jpg
On the left-hand side of the screen, you will see a series of sliders. These are the adjustments for wavelet sharpening. You can spend some time adjusting these to your liking and the image on the screen will change accordingly. Just make sure you use the exact same settings for each of your individual images.

I have played around with these wavelet sliders quite a lot and I’ve found that for my personal taste that I like to move only the first two sliders. How far you need to adjust these can also depend on the scope used to capture the images with. If I am using my SV102T APO (as is the case here), I move the first slider out to 8.0 and the second to 4.0. If I am using one of my achromatic refractors (not as sharp of an image), I have to move the first slider to 25.0 and the second to 10.0 to achieve reasonable sharpness.

Once you have your sliders adjusted to your liking, click the “Do All” button on the upper left. This will apply your wavelet settings across the whole image. If you don’t like the results, adjust the sliders and do it again. Be sure to make note of your settings so you can use the same ones on your subsequent frames. You can also “Save Scheme” so that you can easily recall the same settings in the future.

After that, click the “Save Image” button to the right of the “Do All” button to save your sharpened image. I always save these to my desktop or a special folder so that I don’t get them intermixed with my stacked images out of Autostakkert!. Less confusion for me that way.

Repeat the Autostakkert! and Registax process for each remaining capture.

Here is the first panel image after stacking in Autostakkert!:
20_12_14_g4_ap121.jpg
And here is the same image after applying wavelet sharpening in Registax:
20191007 20_12_14_g4_ap121.jpg
You will notice that on the sharpened images, the edges contain either a white line or small gaps in the image data. These are stacking artifacts and we need to trim that off. This is where allowing plenty of overlap during capture with SharpCap comes into play.

You can trim off these stacking artifacts with any image editor and its cropping feature. In my case, I’ll be using GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program). GIMP is similar in function to Photoshop and is freeware. It is a powerful tool to have. In GIMP, I’ll open all six of my images at the same time. After selecting the cropping tool, I’ll trim the edges off of each image and export the cropped image as a new TIF file. This effectively saves my cropped image over the top of the uncropped version since it is no longer needed. Here is are my now sharpened and cropped panels for my mosaic:
20191007 20_12_14_g4_ap121.jpg
20191007 20_13_06_g4_ap186.jpg
20191007 20_14_08_g4_ap116.jpg
20191007 20_14_57_g4_ap62.jpg
20191007 20_16_08_g4_ap84.jpg
20191007 20_17_10_g4_ap59.jpg
Notice how clean the edges are now? This is key to getting a nice seamless mosaic with the next steps.

To composite these 6 images into a single image of the lunar disk, we’ll next go to Microsoft’s Image Composite Editor (ICE). ICE makes mosaic building a very easy process.

Once you have ICE open, you should see something like this:
2019-10-07 (13).jpg
Click the “New Panorama” button at the top left and select all 6 of your sharpened and cropped images you’ll need to assemble the mosaic (or however many you have).

You should now see something like this:
2019-10-07 (14).jpg
Now, click the “NEXT” button on the far upper right. ICE will now analyze your images, get them properly aligned, and present you with the results underneath a grid overlay.
2019-10-07 (15).jpg
You can adjust the roll setting to orient the Moon to your liking. Since I was careful with my camera orientation prior to capture, I will make no adjustments here. Click “NEXT” again.
2019-10-07 (16).jpg
This screen will allow you to crop the edges of the mosaic to make it nice and square. Once you get that done to your liking, click “NEXT” again.

You will now see your final image. On the right, you will see options for saving your mosaic. I always use TIFF format and keep my image scale at 100%. Click the “Export to disk” button and save the file where ever you like with the appropriate file name.

Congratulations! You’ve just built a lunar mosaic!
20191007 20_12_14_g4_ap121_stitch.jpg
At this point, you are essentially done. You’ve got a very nice lunar mosaic on your hands. Great job!

*The following steps are completely optional using further image processing steps. Here I am using StarTools, but you may, of course, use any graphics editor that you like to enhance the image to suit your tastes. It is your image so make it how you like it!

I like to go one step further to bring out a little more color in my image to really highlight some lunar features. To accomplish this, I use the color module in StarTools. I open my mosaic file in GIMP and re-export it as a TIF file and save it with no compression by choosing the “None” option right above “LZW”. This allows StarTools to properly utilize the data contained within the file.
2019-10-07 (17).jpg
Once in StarTools, I’ll open my mosaic as a Non-linear sRGB source, and choose the “Attempt to reverse stretch, activate tracking” option. Next, I’ll use the “Develop” feature, run the digital development slider up to 50%, and keep the results. After that, I’ll use the color module, accept the defaults, and I’m done. Now I have this:
20191007 20_12_14_g4_ap121_stitch v3.jpg
I find that this particular StarTools process works very well with composited images (mosaics) but tends to go a bit too far with single-frame images. I’ve not yet worked out a workflow for that.

Anyway, that is my process in a nutshell. I hope you have found this useful and insightful!

Best of luck with your own lunar imaging. I look forward to seeing your results!

**NOTE: These processes can be easily adapted by users of DSLR cameras. The use of Autostakkert!, Registax, and MS ICE will be largely the same, for the most part.
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Creating a Lunar Mosaic Using a CMOS Camera

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Nice complete step by step account! Now if I could only overcome my attachment to glass plates.... ;)
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

With my current setup I doubt if I'll ever have a need for this. However, as a big fan of well-written documentation; nicely done!!

Hope everything is good with you all :D
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

yeah boi!, i'll have a read
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

bladekeeper wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:49 am
Now, click the “NEXT” button on the far upper right. ICE will now analyze your images, get them properly aligned, and present you with the results underneath a grid overlay.

2019-10-07 (15).jpg
wow!, I thought you made it look easy, maybe because it is !!! it almost sounds too good to be true ahah

does microsoft ice do panoramas of night scape as easily ?

i'm guessing if one would do a high magnification mosaic of the moon say at f30 they would be better of with a dither program and a sturdy mount ?

i've also done some reading about pixinsight and luna mosaics which really isn't support but with some tweaks, it seems people create a reference frame ie with something like ICE as you have done and then run it though gradient merge mosaic in pi ,i guess this would be useful if anyone has any differential gradients to fix.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

so i got the scope out,seeing is a little better,did another collimation and decided to have some fun with your tutorial ,two images left and right at about f30-f40 (12m fl)

so it works well at very close up and it was so easy to do!, i have some artifacts from stacking from a bad frame but other then that it turned out seamless and pretty good. using my eq6 and 12'' , it has a bit of drift that i have to manual slew while imaging to get back on track ,so big panels will be hard to do.
Attachments
moon mosiac test.jpg

Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Beautifully done, Bryan.

Thanks for taking the time to share.

Clear, Dark Skies
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Nicely done Bryan! Well presented, that was a lot of work on your part!

Hardest part for me is getting the individual 'panes' so they overlap some but not too much. Some guess work involved in that :D
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Thanks for outlining this process Bryan, it's very helpful.

I am trying to use wavelet sharpening in Registax 6 and get this below.

The original looks better. :(

I am exporting the NEF file from Lightroom as a TIFF
Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 11.01.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 10.59.05 AM.png
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

we should make this thread a sticky or at least copy the original post ,maybe we can have a tutorial section , i tried my luck at 6 panels with my small planetary camera, the pay out isn't that big as i should of used my asi1600 as it would of made the same fov...

The mount was drifting all over the place, i found out the f ratio (f36) 10800mm fl.

instead of starting a new thread i think i'll keep posting here and give some feedback.
Attachments
moon 6 panel.jpg

bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

mactech wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:02 pm Thanks for outlining this process Bryan, it's very helpful.

I've had similar results, though typically when I've used 8-bit data, especially monochrome. 16-bit tends not to do this for me. Do you know the format of your data?
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

bladekeeper wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:40 am
mactech wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:02 pm Thanks for outlining this process Bryan, it's very helpful.

I've had similar results, though typically when I've used 8-bit data, especially monochrome. 16-bit tends not to do this for me. Do you know the format of your data?
Thanks Bryan, it was 16 bit data in the TIFF. I think the program was struggling from my lack of RAM in the Windows VM.

I tried again with only 4 images and had much better success.
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

You have done a very nice job here Bryan.
Thank you for investing in this way in all of us.
Bravo !
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

I just completed my first real moon picture - only 1 image (100 stacked images) - - no composite. Yesterday I tried to do this - but left out the Registax section. It was ok. Today I added the sharpening, etc and followed your procedures. Stunning! :Astronomer1: Thank you for the tutorial. Now I have something to do when the moon is wiping out the stars. :D
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
chartram United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chartram »

Hey Bryan I know this is an old thread but WOW!!! Recently ordered a new lunar/planetary camera & Powermate, looking forward to giving this a go. Thank you sir!

Mike
Mike Chartrand
Scopes: WO Star 71 Gen-II (F/4.9), Astro-Tech AT115EDT (F/7), Celestron 8" Edge HD (F/10)
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600MM w/ Baader 1.25" LRGB & Narrowband Filters, ZWO ASI174MM mini, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2
Mount: Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro
Guiding: Orion ST-80 (f/5) w/ADM MiniMax (side-by-side), ZWO OAG
Software: PHD2, Sequence Generator Pro, PixInsight
Dark Site Transportation System: 2020 Telluride SX
bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

chartram wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:29 pm Hey Bryan I know this is an old thread but WOW!!! Recently ordered a new lunar/planetary camera & Powermate, looking forward to giving this a go. Thank you sir!

Mike
Thanks, Mike! I'll be looking forward to your results! :)
Bryan

STEVE333 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Thanks Bryan for putting in all the work required to produce such a complete tutorial.

Your final mosaic image is stunning. Well done.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Fantastic explanation, I’ll give it a full read later - my ASI224MC is winging its way to me. Of course the sky is now full of clouds ☁️ clouds ☁️

Grrrr.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Just going back through the archives and saw this post again. Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge on creating lunar mosaics, Bryan. Lunar imaging is not my thing at the moment, but I may want to seriously expand outward into this venture in the next year or so.
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
Ed217 United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ed217 »

May get clear skies tonight, so will see what I can image as a start.
Scopes: Celestron Nexstar 8SE, Celestron C6N, WO Z61, WO GT71, iOptron RC6 .
Mounts: Celestron Nexstar, iOptron Sky Guider Pro, iOptron HEM27 w/iPolar
Cameras: Nikon D780, Nikon Zfc ,ZWO ASI224MC, ZWO ASI120MM-S, ZWO ASI294MC Pro, ZWO ASI485MC, ZWO ASI174MM, ASI662MC, ASI294MM, ASI2600MC Pro iPhone 14.
Tools: Raspberry PI4 with Stellarmate OS, Intel NUC Mini PC, Beelink MiniPCs.
Accessories: Celestron focus motor, ZWO EAF focusers, F6.3 field reducer, assorted eyepieces, 11" video monitor, polar scopes, iOptron iPolar
Computers: Dell desktops, MacOS MacMini, ASUS laptop, Intel NUC, Beelink MiniPD, PI, assorted software packages, iPhones, iPads
My AstroBin Images: https://www.astrobin.com/users/EdDixonImages/