problem with o3 data

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Micke187 Sweden
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

problem with o3 data

Post by Micke187 »

I have collected some O3 data on the heartnebula but i think i got a gradient that dont think is part of the nebula.
I come and think if it could be straylight that has entered the tub or is it something else?
The HA data is clean from any gradients.
here is a image from 23 subs stacked and stretched.
o3 heart.jpg
TS-optics photoline 115mm triplet + 1.0x flattener
Guiding: qhy5lll APM 50mm guidescope
Main camera: ASI1600MM pro +Starlight xpress filterwheel (Ha,OIII, SII ,LRGB baader filter)
Mount: heq5 Rowan mod
Zwo EAF focuser
Programs: APT, DSS, PIxinsight, Nebulosity3, Phd2, CDC Eqmod
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: problem with o3 data

Post by yobbo89 »

i'ts hard to say , it does look a little abnormal,it still looks like you have some workable data, a background extraction in processing should help.

it looks like sky glow ie not from a direct local source and the vignetting is giving it a central structure . are you using an 8.5 nm oiii ? it pays to spend more on the oiii filter for a tighter bandwidth filter.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Micke187 Sweden
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Micke187 »

Well i have Streetlamp about 30m away that glows bright so i thought it might be the culprit. But i dont get the light straight in the tube. If it could be that the light bounce of the dewsheild into the lens? But then again shouldnt the baffels stop that?
Yes im using the 8.5nm filter.
Main camera: ASI1600MM pro +Starlight xpress filterwheel (Ha,OIII, SII ,LRGB baader filter)
Zwo EAF focuser
Micke187 Sweden
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Micke187 »

But if i need to change filter maybe the new baader series would be good? The o3 is 4.5nm. Havent heard so much about them but its baader so it should be good quality. And alot cheaper then astrodon.
Zwo EAF focuser
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

yes i wonder how a tighter cheaper oiii filter will perform over a slightly wider more expensive filter.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Micke187 Sweden
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Micke187 »

Well as you might have seen in the heart nebula image i posted it was definitely workable data but it was some work to remove the gradients tho.
I have ordered some vantablack 3.0 paint to paint inside the dewshield to see if it could get better. If it wont get any better i will buy a narrower filter.
Zwo EAF focuser
mbenjaminz28 Canada
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by mbenjaminz28 »

Remember the Oiii emission line at 500.7nm is much more affected by light pollution than Ha data at 656nm so that's why your Ha data looks much better. Baader Oiii filters at 8.5nm are really much too broad for use in heavy light pollution, either by moonlight or street lamps. I had a Astrodon 3nm Oiii and could use it up until the moon was full, it worked that well.
William optics flt 132, WO 0.72 reducer, Sbig Aluma U694/FW8G/AO-8a, 36mm LRGB 3nm Ha Oiii Sii, Cem120 non ec, Celestron CGX, Meade 12"F8 ota, Meade 70mm astrograph, Meade 6sn, TSflat2
Micke187 Sweden
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Micke187 »

So i have had some major improvents on my o3 data and it looks like the black paint really made a difference. So my conclusion is that i was getting reflections from the streetlamps inside the dewsheild that bounce into the tube and thats why i got these gradients.

Here is before i painted with the black 3.0
o3 heart.jpg
And here is after i painted
ic410 o3 d.jpg
So you see there is a really big difference.
Zwo EAF focuser