Problems with ES field flattener?

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Problems with ES field flattener?

Post by Baskevo »

Hey guys, so I know Spectre has a recent post similar to this about weird stars, but I didn't know if it is the same problem as my stars look a little worse than his, so I didn't want to hijack his post... But I'm having a similar issue with a field flattener.

So I finally figured out my flats, but I now have a new issue :D I imaged the other night for the first time with my new Explore Scientific 2" field flattener and my Orion Moon & Skyglow filter, and my stars look super weird... It looks worse with the new FF and filter. Granted, I can absolutely get longer exposures and more detail from objects, but the stars look pretty strange... I'm attaching the FF and filter with my Canon t7i DSLR to my Explore Scientific ED80 triplet APO refractor.

It kind of looks like chromatic aberration? I'm not sure though... I thought maybe at first it was the processing, so I tried different processes in DSS, then I even learned how to stack in PI, and I keep getting the same results on two different targets from the same night.

Here are the images:

They are both 270 second exposures of around 30 stacked images (Andromeda is a few less frames), at 800ISO. These are the stacked images, Andromeda stacked in PI and NGC 6992 stacked in DSS.
Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 12.34.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 1.07.54 AM.png
I tried to research it, and I read it might be the spacing for the field flattener? I couldn't find anything concrete though... It looks like CA doesn't it? If you guys have any suggestions on how I can fix it, either in my imaging train or in processing, I would greatly appreciate it...

Note: Sorry if I am doubling on posts (with spectre) and if this is in the wrong place on the forums.
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Problems with ES field flattener?

Post by Baskevo »

I decided to post in Spectre's post here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3713

Sorry for the spam :oops:
-James W.

Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Baskevo wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:20 am Hey guys, so I know Spectre has a recent post similar to this about weird stars, but I didn't know if it is the same problem as my stars look a little worse than his, so I didn't want to hijack his post... But I'm having a similar issue with a field flattener.

So I finally figured out my flats, but I now have a new issue :D I imaged the other night for the first time with my new Explore Scientific 2" field flattener and my Orion Moon & Skyglow filter, and my stars look super weird... It looks worse with the new FF and filter. Granted, I can absolutely get longer exposures and more detail from objects, but the stars look pretty strange... I'm attaching the FF and filter with my Canon t7i DSLR to my Explore Scientific ED80 triplet APO refractor.

It kind of looks like chromatic aberration? I'm not sure though... I thought maybe at first it was the processing, so I tried different processes in DSS, then I even learned how to stack in PI, and I keep getting the same results on two different targets from the same night.

Here are the images:

They are both 270 second exposures of around 30 stacked images (Andromeda is a few less frames), at 800ISO. These are the stacked images, Andromeda stacked in PI and NGC 6992 stacked in DSS.

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 12.34.06 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-10-08 at 1.07.54 AM.png

I tried to research it, and I read it might be the spacing for the field flattener? I couldn't find anything concrete though... It looks like CA doesn't it? If you guys have any suggestions on how I can fix it, either in my imaging train or in processing, I would greatly appreciate it...

Note: Sorry if I am doubling on posts (with spectre) and if this is in the wrong place on the forums.
Due to an earlier post on this forum about reducers/flattners and their use especially in SCTs I hauled out my Meade 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT and the proprietary "Meade focal reducer and field flattner" a couple of evenings ago and I've come to several conclusions about what may be actually happening as far as optical distortions/shortcomings are concerned. I shot three DSOs with and without the Meade reducer/flattner and each series of captures yielded pretty much the same result so I'm only posting what I found with M27 Dumbbell Nebula - the "reduced image" at .63x, the reduced image scaled up to match the image size of photo C which is a prime focus shot of M27 at it's normal f/10 2500mm focal length.

I had posted elsewhere on the astrophotography deep-sky forum my off-the-top-of-the-head thoughts on the careful matching of optical components and the basic principle that the more glass introduced to an optical train, the more precisely these elements have to be engineered, manufactured and assembled if they are to truly "correct" the final image. This is opposed to sorta correcting for one optical defect but as the result of an inadequate or imperfect optical solution, other defects are introduced. Sometimes, however, in the case of say, my fixed 200mm f/2.8 Canon EOS EF-L telephoto, it has ELEVEN optical elements in 7 groups. Now I don't pretend to know what the 1990s Japanese optical engineers/theoreticians and technicians were thinking when they engineered this (frankly) awesome terrestrial telephoto lens - which qualifies as an apochromatic mini-telescope in my view - but my first best guess is they were trying to correct for CA, astigmatism (which "fast" telephotos can have), coma, barrel/pincushion, spherical aberration, and trying to get the best corrected, widest, cleanest image at the focal plane that would cover the entire CCD/CMOS chip.

To the point. After using several brands of relatively inexpensive, moderate quality reducer/flattners from Meade, Celestron and Antares over the last 12 months, I don't think the problem of coma and other optical defects in the extended field is the result of the reducers themselves but rather the reducer/flattner module is REVEALING defects which would normally not be viewed or imaged because of the original "field stop" built into a given telescope or eyepieces which would normally be used with their telescope. For example, if you remove the field stop in an eyepiece, you get a far large AFOV but the image in the extended view is often heavily compromised by any number of distracting optical defects. Optical designers and manufacturers can only correct a given optical train so much, be it a telescope, eyepiece, binoculars, or telephoto lens, and stay within a certain price range. As a result there are certain quality "standards" which get established for a given price point. I suppose it's possible to correct an eyepiece, for example, to deliver certain levels of optical quality across, say, 68 degrees of AFOV and deliver this eyepiece for under $100 or $150. But to design and manufacturer an eyepiece that delivers 85 or even 100 degrees of quality image would then cost $500. And how many of these more expensive eyepieces would an optical company sell compared to a more pedestrian thogh adequate but much lower priced optical item? And that's probably the main reason why field stops are designed into optical systems, they "cut off" the extreme outer portions of the field of view which are essentially unusable but I suppose if enough customers are willing to pay five times the cost, the optical engineers could design and optical system what would deliver 25% to 30% larger AFOV. Of course I'm probably mostly preaching to the choir here given the high knowledge level of most visual astronomers and astrophotographers at TSS.

Now I may be wrong about these relatively inexpensive flattner/reducers (and I'm not even sure flattner/reducers costing five times as much would be all that much better), but I now believe it's not that these reducer/flattner optical hardware are necessarily creating more coma or more spherical aberration but rather when they by design "reduce" the normal focal field of say an f/10 SCT down to an smaller scale of image at f/6.3. In so doing they bring into play/view the very outer portions of the f/10 image which is normally excluded or rendered unviewable by an internal telescope field stop or the field stop of the eyepiece your using OR the edges of the CCD/CMOS chips (the size of the chip essentially determines the "field stop") in your particular DSLR or astro-camera and that portion of the "reduced" image that you now see is generally never going to be very good because optical designers and manufacturers can't possibly correct the entire image plane (at whatever focal length) because it would be very difficult and prohibitively expensive. I suppose theoretically such a correction is possible, but the telescope or whatever optical device, would probably cost $100K! That's when a government becomes the main purchaser for such extreme "high-end" optical devices. But if funds are unlimited and you're committed to turning your f/10 SCT into a fully-correct f/6.3 SCT with a .63X reducer, there's probably some clever optician out there who could grind a custom reducer module to correct for the optical defects of your particular telescope - but for a very steep price. Much like getting a person getting glasses or contact lens custom designed for their eye's particular visual defects, but at 20 times the cost!

If you compare photo B (which is merely an enlargement of the .63X reduced image of photo A) and compare it with photo C which was taken at prime focus of a 10-inch f10 SCT on the same night but 2 hours apart due to other experiments I was engaged in, you'll note there is no extra coma in photo B. The slight elongation of the stars are probably due to the effects of a very mild 5 mph variable wind - sorry about that. In essence, I believe the Meade SCT coma-free telescope lineup was optimized to deliver an industry standard portion of the larger focal plane image that would indeed be coma free, that's why one paid more for this "option." But that part of the image which lay beyond the eyepiece field stop or the size of the imaging CCD/CMOS chip will generally not be corrected to any significant degree because under normal viewing or imaging circumstances throwing more difficult optical corrections and money at the outer "unused portion" of the focal plane image simply doesn't make any sense … until the minds-that-be invented the focal reducer!

These photos weren't optimized for relative luminance levels or other other image quality considerations, but rather they are strictly generated to document whether focal reducers actually add coma or can correct coma in a given OTA. I conclude they do neither but rather they in fact allow you to access portions of the focal plane image not ordinarily viewable in a particular telescope's native image scale as it relates to its actual focal length, objective size and f/value. Also note the heavy vignetting which I did not correct for in either photo A or photo B. This light "fall off" is normal in any optical system as one gets closer to the edge of the native full image produced by a given main objective optical element. And we see evidence of this "vignetting" with our eyes or by our camera because more of the smaller scale can pass through the fieldstop of our eyepiece or more of this vignetted reduced image can now fit on the CCD/CMOS chip.

Last. In extreme blowups of Photo B, I don't see coma as having been made worse by the Meade reducer/flattner unit and I certainly don't see it acting as a "coma corrector" either, which it was never designed to do, btw. However I think I do detect a hint of astigmatism which has affected the quality of the star images to a slight degree. But I could be wrong and what I'm detecting under high magnifications can be attributed to other factors like transient vibration, wind, I didn't hold my tongue in my mouth the right way, whatever. And it does appear maybe the tiniest bit of CA has been added to image B, too, which wouldn't be surprising since we're dealing with a fairly inexpensive piece of glass with these entry level reducer/flattners (not to be confused with coma correctors and the such).
Attachments
Photo C Meade 10 inch f10 Test.jpg
Photo B An Enlargement of A to Match Scale of C.jpg
Photo A Meade 10 with .63 Reducer.JPG
Last edited by Hankmeister3 on Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Hi Hank,

This is a very interesting notion you are proposing. It is one that I have not considered before. I have always chalked up these aberrations to potential non-orthogonality of the optical device because I have run into these same aberrations with my field flattener, but not consistently using the same camera and same telescope and same field flattener. I will ponder your proposition, thanks for publishing it.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

I had never given it much thought myself until about six months ago, JT. I toyed with a few theories but I think this one makes the most sense. Of course it could be a combination of several factors, but more importantly I really don't think an $80 to $130 optical add-on is going to be any kind of panacea for significant optical defects, shortcoming or intended enhancement to a given optical train.

Thanks for looking and I will value any further input on your part. If you can add to our understanding about this issue I want to hear it because there still may be viewpoints which may or may not be congruent with this perspective. Actually, it's just my nickel's worth since I wasn't educated or trained to be an optician though having to wear hard contact lenses since 1970 sorta qualifies me as an "optical expert." Heh!
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Having worked in the optical field professionally (IR sensors and telescopes), I'm afraid we may be entering into a realm where if we ask the source (eg. the manufacturers themselves) we will get stonewalled because this is a case of information "the consumer just does not need to know", for either unpublished limitations or proprietary reasons. So, unfortunately, this proposition may have to live in the realm of supposition until we have an inside agent.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

So I have an update. I've been spending the last week 1/2 trying to fix my stars, which only happens with the Field Flattener. As recommended by many, including explore scientific and highpointscientific, I added spacing between the Field Flattener and the canon. Using between .1, .5, and 1mm spacers, all kinds of different combinations, up to the maximum amount of space I could add. I noticed the field flattened better around 1mm - 2mm of space added, but there was absolutely no change in the stars. I checked the collimation and the focuser, and they both seem great. No matter what I try, I get those halos around the stars whenever I use the Field Flattener. It has been a very, very frustrating week. At least it happened during a full moon!
Explore scientific just stopped emailing me back lol but I'm replacing it through high point, who were super helpful. hopefully I won't have this issue with the replacement...
-James W.