Bad stars

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Bad stars

Post by Baskevo »

spectre wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:51 am Thanks James, that looks like exactly what I need. The trouble with AP is that, when something is a little off, it really gets to be a bother when you know it could be better. That's where I'm at right now. It really doesn't look that bad, but I know it could be better and it'll just keep bugging me.
I'm off to Highpoint to see about getting that t-ring. With any luck this will fix my problem.
John
I totally understand... I'm in the exact same boat. I just ordered my 4th Field Flattener, to see if I can get my curvature down a little bit more. Good luck!

Also, you might want to add some spacers to your order, because it doesn't look like it's totally off the mark in your picture. My guess is you are about +1 or 2mm from where you want it. I would add a set of 5, 10, 15, and 20mm with m42 threads. And seriously, CCD inspector makes it a lot easier when trying to figure out if things are getting better or worse.
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629
spectre
Earth Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by spectre »

Already have the spacers so that's not an issue. The t-ring being back ordered, that's an issue.
Patience is a virtue. It's always something.
[image][/image]Scopes: Orange Tube C-8, Explore Scientific ED102CF, Mount/Guider: CG5-GT, Orion SSAG auto-guider
Cameras: Unmodded Canon XS, Neximage SS imager, Software: PI, PS, DSS, Backyard EOS, PHD, PHD2
Eyepieces: ES 82° 6.7mm, 11mm, and 18mm, TV 22 mm, Hyperion-Aspheric 36mm
Older eyepieces: 4mm, 9mm, 18mm, 25mm, 40mm, 12mm Illuminated reticle
For what could be more beautiful than the heavens which contain all beautiful things? - Nicolaus Copernicus
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

I definitely understand that! I did a lot of waiting for things to not work with that Field Flattener :P

I decided to upgrade to the ES 80mm FCD100 and the HEX focuser... Hopefully that will be here on Monday! If the Field Flattener doesn't work well with this scope (which it probably won't), I might try the hotech one... I heard a lot of people have had success with that one.
-James W.

spectre
Earth Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by spectre »

Hi Baskevo, I have an update on my spacing issue. The thin t-ring arrived and we finally got some clear skies on the weekend so I can try it out.
Here is an image of M-44 from 2/22/2020 using the ES 102 CF triplet and my DSLR. 90 subs of 30 sec each, darks, flats, and bias applied. All processing in PI. I think I may have overcooked it but this was mainly to check out the stars in the corners. They look pretty round to me across the image. I still have color differences across each star, red on one side and blue on the other. Is there any way to correct this?
CC is welcome and appreciated
Attachments
M_44_proc.jpg
[image][/image]Scopes: Orange Tube C-8, Explore Scientific ED102CF, Mount/Guider: CG5-GT, Orion SSAG auto-guider
Cameras: Unmodded Canon XS, Neximage SS imager, Software: PI, PS, DSS, Backyard EOS, PHD, PHD2
For what could be more beautiful than the heavens which contain all beautiful things? - Nicolaus Copernicus
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

Those stars look great to me! I would be very happy with those stars!! I'm still not getting perfectly round stars... lol

As for the color, have you tried looking on a different monitor? Because the color looks great to me... I'm not seeing a difference other than what is usually natural!
-James W.

STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Hi John - I got into this thread in Oct 2019 and just got back in today. I have the same ES ED102CF telescope and FF/FR from Stellarvue. I've always had the "rainbow stars" problem, but, thought it was the telescope. After following through this thread I just checked my FF/FR and there is no "55 mm" engraved on it anywhere. So, maybe that has been the problem all the time I've used it with the DSLR.

I now have a cooled camera, so, maybe I can achieve the required 45 mm. This thread has given me hope that the telescope is OK. I would be happy if my stars look as good as yours do now John with the new spacing. Hopefully this means my telescope is OK. That would be terrific!!!

Congratulations on persevering and solving a difficult problem.

Cheers,
Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
spectre
Earth Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by spectre »

Hi Steve, thanks for the congrats but I still have the rainbow stars, they 're just round now.
Any one have any suggestions about how to get rid of the 'rainbow effect'?
Hopefully thanks in advance
John

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

spectre wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:10 pm Hi Steve, thanks for the congrats but I still have the rainbow stars, they 're just round now.
Any one have any suggestions about how to get rid of the 'rainbow effect'?
Hopefully thanks in advance
John

John - Sorry to hear you still have the rainbow stars problem. The approach in the link below has helped me to reduce the amount of "rainbow" in the stars. In the Registration model box make sure to select Thin Plate Splines.

https://pixinsight.com/forum/index.php?topic=9536.0

Hope it works for you too.

Cheers,
Steve
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
spectre
Earth Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by spectre »

Hi Steve, I clicked on the link but I don't see any attachments. I went to the Pixinsight forum directly and still no joy. Can you repost the information, I'd really like to give your method a try. Ideally, I'll be able to track down the underlying cause rather than fix it in post processing.

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Hi John - I looked back through Flickr, but, the image (attachment) has been thrown away somewhere along the way. However, it just showed a magnified view of a portion of the image before/after the repair. You don't need it to try the repair yourself.

I hope you can find the underlying problem. I believe, with mine, that there is actually a some misalignment (decenter and/or tilt) of at least one of the triplet elements. It's the only thing that makes sense to me. I sent it back the Explore Scientific and they "adjusted" it. It was improved, but, still very noticable. It's so frustrating because some people with the same model are getting fantastic images with perfect stars!! Why me (and you)? :angry-tappingfoot:

Cheers,
Steve
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

STEVE333 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:12 am Why me? :angry-tappingfoot:

Cheers,
Steve

I have asked that question a million times already lol I've gone through 3 scopes, 3 cameras, 5 field flatteners, and I'm expecting my 4th mount tomorrow! :sigh:
-James W.

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

James,

You are, by far, the most snake-bit guy I've come across since coming back to this hobby (which includes forum posting) full-time in 2012. Man, I hope things turn around for you soon. You absolutely deserve a break!

Expectantly,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Baskevo wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:53 am
STEVE333 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:12 am Why me? :angry-tappingfoot:

Cheers,
Steve

I have asked that question a million times already lol I've gone through 3 scopes, 3 cameras, 5 field flatteners, and I'm expecting my 4th mount tomorrow! :sigh:

YIKES!!!! I'm going to stop complaining. Compared to your trials my path has been a breeze. Hope it all gets ironed out soon.

PS: Please let me know if the "rainbow stars repair" helps. I hope it does.

Cheers,
Steve
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

JayTee wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:09 pm James,

You are, by far, the most snake-bit guy I've come across since coming back to this hobby (which includes forum posting) full-time in 2012. Man, I hope things turn around for you soon. You absolutely deserve a break!

Expectantly,
JT

Haha okay good I'm glad someone else thinks so... I have rattled my brain over and over again, trying to figure out if I am doing something wrong or if my expectations are too high. But every time I get what I suspect is a lemon and I do hours of research, I always come to the conclusion that it is an issue with the manufacturer or something... I usually wait until the forums tell me to send it back, too! I have been happy with high point scientific because they are pretty open to returns and what-not, but at the same time, maybe they are the common factor between all of my faulty gear... I hope I won't find that out soon because that would mean I have another return on my hands : :twitch:

The frustration is totally worth the beautiful images though! I love every minute of this hobby, even when I hate it!

My new mount arrived today, but it's clouds for the next week or so :/ I'm sure I'll have something to post about soon lol
-James W.