What program do you use for processing?

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

What program do you use for processing?

Post by Baskevo »

Whats up everyone. I am learning how to process in PixInSight through the 45 day trial, and then I saw the price point... It's a really great program, but I wonder if there is not a better or cheaper option. I already have Photoshop, but I haven't been able to do in photoshop what I did in PixInSight (granted, I just started).

So I wanted to ask you: Is pixinsight your favorite program? Are there better programs more worth $230? Are there programs just as good that are less expensive? I know some use star tools... That's only $50, right? Sounds good to me! Lol are there things in Pixinsight I can't do in star tools?

Thanks everyone!

Clear skies! :)
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629
madperk
Earth Ambassador

Re: What program do you use for processing?

Post by madperk »

I’ve tried them all. I ran through a Pi trial A few years ago and liked it. I was using DSS and photoshop for a couple of years, and after the 45-day trial, I wasn’t able to get better results with Pi. I’m sure it was me, not Pi. Pi just seemed a little too technical for me at the time. It was also the early days of Pi, and there were not as many good tutorials around as there are now.

I bought star tools and didn’t like it. Again I think this was me.

I started using Astro Pixel Processor about a year ago and found it easy to get good results. So much so that I have started using it for most of my processing workflow. I usually do some finishing touches in Photoshop, mainly noise reduction and saturation. APP has a star calibration routine that balances my star colors better than I could get with DSS. I’m still learning the ropes, but it think it’s is a pretty good product.
Cameras: Canon T3,6D Mark II
Telescopes: Explore Scientific ED80, ED102, Celestron C6
Lenses: Rokinon 24mm 1.4, Canon 70-200mm L, 17-40mm EF
EPs: lots of choices.
Mounts: CGEM, SkyGuide Pro
Accessories and DoDads: Too many.
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

I use Nebulosity, I think it is still in the $50 range. Works for me, just fine for capture, stacking and image stretching. I finish up in Photoshop, which you already have.

Clear skies,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

I like PI. Its learning curve is steep, but there is no need to learn every function. The process modules are stand-alone, so you would likely end up with a dozen processes that you are quite familiar with and 200 that you hardly ever use.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

I have been relying mostly on StarTools, after starting out with PhotoShop initially. One thing StarTools won't do is calibrate and stack images. The new version, 1.5, has some very nice enhancements in it. The site lists a comparison of StarTools and PI functions and how they are done in each program.

I did a PI trial recently and found it interesting. Perhaps when I retire and have time to really dig in, I will give it another shot.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Stuart United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Stuart »

I use exclusively PI.
Just a comment on price--I realize where people have pause when there is a price point. I will say, however, that unlike Photoshop which is a subscription service, PI is a one time purchase and you can use it on as many machines as you want. Also, people spend lots of money, sometimes thousands of dollars on astro equpiment--why not spend a little more on processing power?

In terms of the steep learning curve, sure. It takes time to learn. The way I look at is that the guitar is hard to play if you just pick up a guitar--it takes practice to learn. Same thing with any astrophotography program.
Personal equipment: TEC 140 F7 on Astro-Physics Mach 1 mount. Camera QSI 683ws7. Guide with Vario guiding scope
Shared equipment through Star Shadows Remote Observatory through PROMPT/ CTIO/Chile 16" RCOS 16803 chip
Shared equipment through San Diego Astronomy Society 14" RC with 16803 chip on a paramount
Software (for my stuff) PemPRO, SGP, PHD, Focus Boss, ASCOM, and Pixinsight on the other end.
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

I use Nebulosity for capture, normalize, demosaic, and stacking. I then switch over the stacked image to Star Tools, which I find quite amazing in being able to pull out the faintest of signals. It gives one so many choices I sometimes try a couple of different renditions to see if the results are better (or worse). I am VERY happy with both programs... and they aren't bank killers.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

I also use Startools. Still have a lot to learn, but it gets the job done for me. Excellent support too!
bobharmony wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:28 pm I have been relying mostly on StarTools, after starting out with PhotoShop initially. One thing StarTools won't do is calibrate and stack images. The new version, 1.5, has some very nice enhancements in it. The site lists a comparison of StarTools and PI functions and how they are done in each program.

I did a PI trial recently and found it interesting. Perhaps when I retire and have time to really dig in, I will give it another shot.

Bob
Bob, did you know that Ivo released a alpha version 1.6 available for download.

I’m going to give it a try later.

Thanks,
Jim :text-welcomewave:
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Thanks, Jim. That would be typical for Ivo. I regularly ran the 1.4 release when 1.3 was the "stable" code. I will be jumping on as soon as I can find the download on the site :)

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

So it sounds like preference has a lot to do with it lol I will give star tools and Nebulosity a try when I have a chance! I get the photoshop subscription for free as a student, but I didn't get nearly as much detail in that as I did in PixInSight... Maybe I need to play around with it some more.

I'm going to keep playing with PixInSight for now, and when the trial expires I will try out some of the other programs :) Thanks for the info, everyone!

Clear skies!
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629
maceemiller
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by maceemiller »

As I'm new to AP I cant give you any solid advice however I've used GIMP, Registaks and tried PS however I'm not proficient in any of them.

What I will say is today I've downloaded the trial version of Startools and I love it.....

....I'm struggling with my actual image capture ATM but even with my poor Moon stacking image, Startools did a great, IMO job of it.

I shall be investing a lot more time in it...just my quids worth...
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

I use Gimp, the free Photoshop. It has lots of flexibility in layers, pixel math, masks, filters. Other dedicated AP programs are easier to use, I just like to stick with the basics. Before that I became proficient at the DSS editor, great for a first stretch then you can use any onsumer editor like windows live photo gallery. I now get the best results with Gimp but count on a long learning curve.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images