Wide field processing help required

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Wide field processing help required

Post by Jockinireland »

Hi Joe,

Ah I get it, the effect is similar to adding a luminance layer later?

But I cant work out how to get that nice transparent mask as you have it - no problem getting the layer mask in as a new channel but tried various ways of selecting, painting on the mask but getting nowhere. A wee clue please!

I've looked at and understand all the other steps you have taken on the image. This has been a great learning experience for me. Thanks

Rgds

David.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

David
1. Create the duplicate layer, do not create the layer mask on the duplicate layer.
2. Go to channels palette. Select the channel that gives you the intensity distribution you want. Can be RGB or just one colour.
3. At the bottom of the palette, the tool on the left end of the tools is a dotted rectangle.
4. Hover over it and it should identify as "load channel as selection."
5. Click it to load the channel into the selection.
6. Go back to Layers palette and click on create layer mask, the selection automatically goes into the mask.
7. Remember when I made the mask, all the adjustment layers above were not there so you should turn them all off or if starting from scratch create them later.

cheers

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

David

Did it work?

Joe
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Hi Joe,

Yes pretty much. Though none of the channels were coming up with exactly the same amount of effect as your - not quite as much contrast but pretty close. I wonder is that could be an effect of me selecting from the already reduced file size whereas yours would have come from the full smart object?

Anyway, I now understand it and will make a try from raw data over the week-end. But I really need to get more time on the subject away from the street light. Fabulous clear night last night but nearly full moon. Typical.

Thanks Joe

David.
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod

Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

yobbo89 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:21 pm I had a go with average stacking in dds and it gave me a lot more noise, it was a no go.

OzEclipse wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:21 pm This is the best I could manage
all processed in Photoshop from your raws and your darks

Joe
Putting this here as it is a bit of a follow on from the above and done following advice from the two kind gets quoted.
This is the star adventurer, 1100D, kit 18-55mm lens at 55mm F5.0, 30 X 120s at ISO 1600, stacked in squator with darks applied, processed in photoshop with tricks learned from Joe. This was just a quick processing and can probably be made better with more time.

Still a way to go but definite improvement from the last one i think

rgds

David.
Deneb-sadr.jpg

OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

David,

Looking real good!

Joe