Flats Failing Me?

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
yobbo89 Australia
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Flats Failing Me?

Post by yobbo89 »

STEVE333 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:38 pm I downloaded the Flat_TV1640s image and opened it up in PI. The image below shows how it looks in HistogramTransformation.

The histogram settings are what was explained to me by one of the PI gurus. The main point is that the histogram (the bottom histogram is the one to look at) is only at about 15% of full scale which is low. You want it closer to 50%. It will still work, but, will do a cleaner job if you are able to raise the histogram with longer exposures.

Steve
very nice, i eyeballed it and thought they are a bit to low in exposure aswell,
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador

Post by fatboy1271 »

Interesting find yobbo… I purchased an NXENTC A4 Tracing Light Pad for taking Flats:

Is this not good enough? It seems to have an even glow when plugged in.
OTAs: Explore Scientific ED80 Essential Edition / The Little Guy (Celestron 90SLT)
Mount: Celestron Advanced VX
Gear: Canon 70D / Hutech LPS-D1-48 / ES 2" Field Flattener / QHY PoleMaster / Celestron GPS / ZWO ASI120MC / Orion 50mm Guide Scope / ZWO EAF
Software: CPWI / PHD2 / N.I.N.A / Stellarium/StellariumScope/Remote Control / PI / RegiStax 6 / AutoStakkert!2 / PIPP | Retired? BackyardEOS Premium
EPs: Stock Celestron 9mm and 24mm / Celestron Omni 32mm (I love this one!) / Celestron X-Cel LX 3x Barlow (I think 2X would have been smarter...)
Support Staff (Loved Ones!): CeCe, Ro, and Geno
Let's Go Pens!!!
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

i made my own flats box ,it has two opaque panels layered at a distance to disperse the light more evenly ,maybe move yours around on the scope says 10-20mm and compare the flats
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador

Post by fatboy1271 »

yobbo89 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:48 pm i made my own flats box ,it has two opaque panels layered at a distance to disperse the light more evenly ,maybe move yours around on the scope says 10-20mm and compare the flats
Will do, thanks!!!
OTAs: Explore Scientific ED80 Essential Edition / The Little Guy (Celestron 90SLT)
Gear: Canon 70D / Hutech LPS-D1-48 / ES 2" Field Flattener / QHY PoleMaster / Celestron GPS / ZWO ASI120MC / Orion 50mm Guide Scope / ZWO EAF
Software: CPWI / PHD2 / N.I.N.A / Stellarium/StellariumScope/Remote Control / PI / RegiStax 6 / AutoStakkert!2 / PIPP | Retired? BackyardEOS Premium
EPs: Stock Celestron 9mm and 24mm / Celestron Omni 32mm (I love this one!) / Celestron X-Cel LX 3x Barlow (I think 2X would have been smarter...)
Let's Go Pens!!!
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

fatboy1271 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:27 pm
STEVE333 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:55 pm Just FYI, I downloaded your M31 image and applied the Surface Blur Noise Reduction technique to it, and, it did indeed remove the dust mote. With the dust mote gone the image could be stretched and processed more. The result is a nice M31 with nice contrast. If you would like to see the result I could post it here. You have some nice data to work with.

Best of success in solving your flats problems.

Steve

Steve, you're awesome! Yes, please, I would love to see the result :)

I've not used Surface Blur Noise Reduction nor did I know it existed... So much to learn!!!

The Surface Blur Noise Reduction technique is something I learned from a Doug German video tutorial for Photoshop which is what I used when I started doing AP processing. The link I provided is to my adaption of the technique so it can be performed using PixInsight. Sometimes it can be extremely helpful.

Hope you like it.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador

Post by fatboy1271 »

Thanks Steve!!! I really appreciate the time you took to share your knowledge and do a process on my image :) I love it, BTW!
Let's Go Pens!!!
fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador

Post by fatboy1271 »

So I'm going crazy with trying to get Flats... I spent some time Saturday morning, after my Friday night session, and all that happened was more confusion and frustration.

In PI I open Stuart's 'flat_red_cluster.' If I stretch it I can see dust motes and in Statistics it reads in the 8000/30000 recommended range. All looks good to me as a reference.

Between BYEOS using the AV mode to set an auto exposure, using NINA's Flat Wizard, and then just taking different exposure lengths myself I could not get an exposure that read higher than 3826 in 14-bit. Hopefully someone can see what I'm doing wrong here and I'm sorry for being that annoying guy just going in circles!

Stuart's flat_red_cluster:
flat_red_cluster.png
Tv 1/8000sec:
FLAT_Tv18000s_1600iso.png
Tv 1/5sec:
FLAT_Tv15_1600iso.png
Tv 30sec:
FLAT_Tv30_1600iso.png
How I take my Flats:
LED Light Panel 01.jpg
LED Light Panel 02.jpg
LED Light Panel 03.jpg
Let's Go Pens!!!
fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador

Post by fatboy1271 »

How does this "Flat" look? In NINA it has a Mean of 8237, which seems like it's where it should be. However, in PI I'm not getting those numbers.

RAW:

NINA:
Flat Wizard 8237 Mean.PNG
PI:
Flat in PI.PNG
Let's Go Pens!!!
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

fatboy1271 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:27 am How does this "Flat" look? In NINA it has a Mean of 8237, which seems like it's where it should be. However, in PI I'm not getting those numbers.

RAW:

NINA:
Flat Wizard 8237 Mean.PNG

PI:
Flat in PI.PNG
That seems a bit low to me. I am "flatting" around 32,000. :)
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador

Post by fatboy1271 »

Thanks Bryan! I don't understand why something so seemingly easy has me so baffled...

Just to verify; Flats should be taken at the same ISO as Darks and Lights, correct?
Let's Go Pens!!!
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

fatboy1271 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:23 pm Thanks Bryan! I don't understand why something so seemingly easy has me so baffled...

Just to verify; Flats should be taken at the same ISO as Darks and Lights, correct?
yes, even bias frames, but flats will work correctly if you use a different iso setting.i think it will introduce a small amount of noise, someone will need to dig out some more information about it,

some light panels are just too bright and or your camera has problems at quick shutter speeds,so changing the gain helps with these problems and i find it has little impact

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hey Patrick,

Take this for what it is. Very much inexperience here. I just started using flats for my last two sessions.

I use an iPad app called Lightbox (credit Bryan) and set the iPad on top of a couple of stretched out t-shirts on the top of my scope in the vertical position. I set the intensity about 3/4 on the slider and mess with the shutter speed to get the histogram in the middle. Then I take my flats at the same iso as the dso target. I know that this is really crude, but it definitely makes a big difference in processing. I use Startools and always had to correct for vignetting. No more with my flats.
Like I said earlier, this is really crude, but it definitely makes a significant difference in processing.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador

Post by fatboy1271 »

Hey Jim,

I'm about halfway there... I purchased an LED light panel for tracing artwork on, so I think that should work about the same as your iPad.

My next issue is that I've been pretty dedicated to trying to use NINA full time. Being free and new it has some quirks, but it also has everything I'm looking for: Guiding, Sequencing, and a Flat Wizard. However, NINA seems to hate my 70D most of the time. I'm also very spoiled from a few years of use with BYEOS! Anyway, I think I may have to switch between the Camera mode in NINA for Lights and then I can do Darks and Bias in either NINA or BYEOS. I do think for now though that I will have to switch to BYEOS for Flats. At least until they get more work done with Canon cameras in NINA.

Then... I sure do ramble, eh? So then, I've played around in BYEOS and have not been able to reach the target Mean. I'll keep plugin away! At some point I WILL be successful :)

Thanks for the info and it doesn't seem all that crude to me!!!

fat
Let's Go Pens!!!
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Patrick,

NINA didn’t seem to play well with my Nikon. I gave up without a fight and moved to Astrophotography Tool which I am very happy with.
Sounds like you are on the path to flats. I’m sure that I can more about shooting them, but what I am currently doing does help a lot.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador

Post by fatboy1271 »

Juno16 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:21 pm Hi Patrick,

NINA didn’t seem to play well with my Nikon. I gave up without a fight and moved to Astrophotography Tool which I am very happy with.
Sounds like you are on the path to flats. I’m sure that I can more about shooting them, but what I am currently doing does help a lot.

Thanks,
Jim
You know what Jim, I changed my mind... You are a pain in the butt!!! Now I have to explore using APT :) Just kidding about the pain in the butt; I truly appreciate all your comments on my posts!

The NINA guys have been great in their support channel and I don't want to completely abandon them; however, I need something that works consistently well. I'll download the demo for APT and see how that goes. How long have you used it? Do you have the paid version? $21 is a good price if it does what I want it to!

Patrick
Let's Go Pens!!!
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Patric,

No, please use what you are familiar with! I really didn’t give NINA a good effort. It just seemed to me that NINA was more suited to non dslr imaging. APT just had a workflow that I could relate to.

I have only imaged twice with APT. Along with the weather, I have had some other time consuming projects going on that has kept me tied up and unable to get out to Image. I do have the paid version. I have had tremendous support from the APT team. They helped me set up a plan where I can turn on the AVX (after polar alignment), do a quick align (no real alignment, just a best guess), run the APT script plan where the scopes moves close to the imaging target, plate solves, syncs, and centers on the target automatically. Now ready for imaging. No need to align the mount.
I recently posted to APT support to see if there was a way to set a default iso for plate solving. They added that feature in the next version update. Can’t beat that!

That is just my experience with APT as a new user.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador

Post by fatboy1271 »

That's awesome Jim! I'm a huge Customer Service guy and that sounds just like what I love about good companies/products.

I'm not tied to NINA in any way. I like the program but it has issues with my 70D for sure. Not being a seasoned veteran means I probably should be using something that "just works." I'm going to willingly try out APT. If you're using a DSLR and have had good success then that works for me.

I'll use the demo so I'm not out anything if I don't like it. I'm curious about the script for the AVX that you're using. Is that tied strictly to your equipment setup? I love the idea of Plate Solving replacing mount alignments.

Just looked at your flickr page... Nice work!!! Also, Jack looks awesome :) I think I'll have to add Geno to my signature.
Let's Go Pens!!!
Stuart United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Stuart »

Hi guys,
Sorry I was away. I don't know NINA at all. I'm guessing it spit out the ADU in a 16 bit scale, not a 14 bit scale.
I use an Aurora flatfield panel and I dampen it with a couple of sheets of white copy paper.
Stuart
Personal equipment: TEC 140 F7 on Astro-Physics Mach 1 mount. Camera QSI 683ws7. Guide with Vario guiding scope
Shared equipment through Star Shadows Remote Observatory through PROMPT/ CTIO/Chile 16" RCOS 16803 chip
Shared equipment through San Diego Astronomy Society 14" RC with 16803 chip on a paramount
Software (for my stuff) PemPRO, SGP, PHD, Focus Boss, ASCOM, and Pixinsight on the other end.
Stuart United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Stuart »

Disregard what I said above. I downloaded your flat. The brightness on it is perfect, it might even be a little bright.
For 14 bit scale I get Red 8135, Green 10065.8, Blue 11834.0
Personal equipment: TEC 140 F7 on Astro-Physics Mach 1 mount. Camera QSI 683ws7. Guide with Vario guiding scope
Shared equipment through Star Shadows Remote Observatory through PROMPT/ CTIO/Chile 16" RCOS 16803 chip
Shared equipment through San Diego Astronomy Society 14" RC with 16803 chip on a paramount
Software (for my stuff) PemPRO, SGP, PHD, Focus Boss, ASCOM, and Pixinsight on the other end.
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

fatboy1271 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:24 am That's awesome Jim! I'm a huge Customer Service guy and that sounds just like what I love about good companies/products.

I'm not tied to NINA in any way. I like the program but it has issues with my 70D for sure. Not being a seasoned veteran means I probably should be using something that "just works." I'm going to willingly try out APT. If you're using a DSLR and have had good success then that works for me.

I'll use the demo so I'm not out anything if I don't like it. I'm curious about the script for the AVX that you're using. Is that tied strictly to your equipment setup? I love the idea of Plate Solving replacing mount alignments.

Just looked at your flickr page... Nice work!!! Also, Jack looks awesome :) I think I'll have to add Geno to my signature.
Hi Patrick,

Give it a try to see if you like it. I believe the trial for APT is pretty much full featured and doesn’t expire. I think that you will have to stick to the stable versions and won’t be able to download the beta’s with the trial, but I could be wrong there.

Heck, if you like the software, send me a pm and I’ll send you one of my scripts. Super simple. I’m sure it will work with your AVX. Three lines, unpack, goto whatever target you set, solve and sync. Worked great the two times I’ve used it. They sent me a script example to use as a guide. It’s an auto alignment script that sends the scope to four points in the sky (your choosing if you need to dodge trees). Run the script and the mount will automatically calibrate to the entire sky.

Thanks for the kind comments! I’m a baby at this and at my current rate of getting out, it might take me many years to get it together!
Jack is my right hand man!

Thanks ,
Jim
Jim