Flats Failing Me?

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Flats Failing Me?

Post by Baskevo »

Stuart wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:56 pm Yeah, I see this a lot with BYEOS use. The histogram thing is misleading. I wouldn't use it. You're looking to have about 45% of your full well depth, but anything between 20-55% should be fine.

If you have PI, look at your flat with the Statistics process, and then look at mine with the Statistics process. You'll see what I'm talking about. The default is a 16 bit scale which is fine. Just know that your camera spits data out at 14 bit so if you're using another program that measures 14 bit your target ADU is about 8,000 (not 30,000). But 8000 will scale up to about 30,000 in 16 bit. The Statistics process has a drop down menu where you can pick your scaling factor.
Stuart! You are the man! I figured out my max ADU (or mean? whatever you call it) in PI, and exposed at half of that. Worked like a freakin' charm! I'm stoked :) I'm grateful my iPad works fine and I didn't spend another 50 dollars on a flats panel! Thank you Stuart this was tremendously helpful.
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629
Stuart United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Stuart »

[/quote]

Stuart! You are the man! I figured out my max ADU (or mean? whatever you call it) in PI, and exposed at half of that. Worked like a freakin' charm! I'm stoked :) I'm grateful my iPad works fine and I didn't spend another 50 dollars on a flats panel! Thank you Stuart this was tremendously helpful.
[/quote]

Woo HOO! I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to flats, as you have seen. I'm so happy it worked out for you!
Personal equipment: TEC 140 F7 on Astro-Physics Mach 1 mount. Camera QSI 683ws7. Guide with Vario guiding scope
Shared equipment through Star Shadows Remote Observatory through PROMPT/ CTIO/Chile 16" RCOS 16803 chip
Shared equipment through San Diego Astronomy Society 14" RC with 16803 chip on a paramount
Software (for my stuff) PemPRO, SGP, PHD, Focus Boss, ASCOM, and Pixinsight on the other end.
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

Well I am grateful you are a nut when it comes to flats, seriously! Thanks again, Stuart! :)
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629
fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador

Post by fatboy1271 »

Ok, I think I've got it now... Hopefully Stu will see this and comment :)

Flats shot at 200ISO with a double t-shirt layer between OTA and LED panel

300sec being read in PI at 14-bit:
Flat at 300sec.PNG
1.75sec being read in PI at 14-bit:
Flat at 0_1_75sec.PNG
OTAs: Explore Scientific ED80 Essential Edition / The Little Guy (Celestron 90SLT)
Mount: Celestron Advanced VX
Gear: Canon 70D / Hutech LPS-D1-48 / ES 2" Field Flattener / QHY PoleMaster / Celestron GPS / ZWO ASI120MC / Orion 50mm Guide Scope / ZWO EAF
Software: CPWI / PHD2 / N.I.N.A / Stellarium/StellariumScope/Remote Control / PI / RegiStax 6 / AutoStakkert!2 / PIPP | Retired? BackyardEOS Premium
EPs: Stock Celestron 9mm and 24mm / Celestron Omni 32mm (I love this one!) / Celestron X-Cel LX 3x Barlow (I think 2X would have been smarter...)
Support Staff (Loved Ones!): CeCe, Ro, and Geno
Let's Go Pens!!!
Stuart United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Stuart »

Hey fatboy! Perfect! I might go a tad dimmer--maybe down to 1.5 seconds as your blue is a bit bright. Best thing to do is extract the lightness of the flat and then measure that. But you're totally in the ballpark and this flat should work fine.

Stu
Personal equipment: TEC 140 F7 on Astro-Physics Mach 1 mount. Camera QSI 683ws7. Guide with Vario guiding scope
Shared equipment through Star Shadows Remote Observatory through PROMPT/ CTIO/Chile 16" RCOS 16803 chip
Shared equipment through San Diego Astronomy Society 14" RC with 16803 chip on a paramount
Software (for my stuff) PemPRO, SGP, PHD, Focus Boss, ASCOM, and Pixinsight on the other end.
fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador

Post by fatboy1271 »

Stuart wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:44 pm Hey fatboy! Perfect! I might go a tad dimmer--maybe down to 1.5 seconds as your blue is a bit bright. Best thing to do is extract the lightness of the flat and then measure that. But you're totally in the ballpark and this flat should work fine.

Stu
Awesome, thanks for replying!!!
OTAs: Explore Scientific ED80 Essential Edition / The Little Guy (Celestron 90SLT)
Mount: Celestron Advanced VX
Gear: Canon 70D / Hutech LPS-D1-48 / ES 2" Field Flattener / QHY PoleMaster / Celestron GPS / ZWO ASI120MC / Orion 50mm Guide Scope / ZWO EAF
Software: CPWI / PHD2 / N.I.N.A / Stellarium/StellariumScope/Remote Control / PI / RegiStax 6 / AutoStakkert!2 / PIPP | Retired? BackyardEOS Premium
EPs: Stock Celestron 9mm and 24mm / Celestron Omni 32mm (I love this one!) / Celestron X-Cel LX 3x Barlow (I think 2X would have been smarter...)
Support Staff (Loved Ones!): CeCe, Ro, and Geno
Let's Go Pens!!!