How Meticulous Should I be with Flats Histogram?

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

How Meticulous Should I be with Flats Histogram?

Post by fatboy1271 »

I finally got an LED Light Panel and it is Awesome!!! It's intended use if for tracing "art:" however, it is fantastic for Flats.

This morning I shot my Flats from last night's session and went through all 100 of them. Then I ended up reshooting about 30 more because the RGB graph moved slightly in the Histogram of BYEOS.

I drew yellow lines to make is easier to see the movement. Garbage in equals garbage out, right? I know PixInsight is incredibly powerful, so my question is do I need to be this meticulous or will PI take care of everything when I create my Master Flat?
Good and Bad Flat Frame.PNG
Good and Bad Flat Frame.PNG (5.26 KiB) Viewed 1596 times
fat
OTAs: Explore Scientific ED80 Essential Edition / The Little Guy (Celestron 90SLT)
Mount: Celestron Advanced VX
Gear: Canon 70D / Hutech LPS-D1-48 / ES 2" Field Flattener / QHY PoleMaster / Celestron GPS / ZWO ASI120MC / Orion 50mm Guide Scope / ZWO EAF
Software: CPWI / PHD2 / N.I.N.A / Stellarium/StellariumScope/Remote Control / PI / RegiStax 6 / AutoStakkert!2 / PIPP | Retired? BackyardEOS Premium
EPs: Stock Celestron 9mm and 24mm / Celestron Omni 32mm (I love this one!) / Celestron X-Cel LX 3x Barlow (I think 2X would have been smarter...)
Support Staff (Loved Ones!): CeCe, Ro, and Geno
Let's Go Pens!!!
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: How Meticulous Should I be with Flats Histogram?

Post by UlteriorModem »

Pixinsight will calculate the averages and produce a workable flat. That little bit of movement is certainly not worth obsessing over.

Two things to look out for when using a flat panel. First make sure the exposures are not too short due to too much light out of the panel. Try to get the histogram left of center. You may have to add a t shirt or some white paper to dim it down.

In the end the proof is in the pudding. Look at your master flat and see if it reflects the defects in your setup. A good way to do this is to open one of your image files, then open the master flat and drag it over the image file and see if the defects 'line up'. You may have to stretch them some to see it clearly.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
Stuart United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Stuart »

I wouldn't use a histogram at all. Use the average ADU. For a 16 bit scale shoot for an ADU between 25,000 and 35,000
Personal equipment: TEC 140 F7 on Astro-Physics Mach 1 mount. Camera QSI 683ws7. Guide with Vario guiding scope
Shared equipment through Star Shadows Remote Observatory through PROMPT/ CTIO/Chile 16" RCOS 16803 chip
Shared equipment through San Diego Astronomy Society 14" RC with 16803 chip on a paramount
Software (for my stuff) PemPRO, SGP, PHD, Focus Boss, ASCOM, and Pixinsight on the other end.
fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador

Post by fatboy1271 »

Stuart wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:19 am I wouldn't use a histogram at all. Use the average ADU. For a 16 bit scale shoot for an ADU between 25,000 and 35,000
Thanks Stuart... How do I find the ADU?
OTAs: Explore Scientific ED80 Essential Edition / The Little Guy (Celestron 90SLT)
Gear: Canon 70D / Hutech LPS-D1-48 / ES 2" Field Flattener / QHY PoleMaster / Celestron GPS / ZWO ASI120MC / Orion 50mm Guide Scope / ZWO EAF
Software: CPWI / PHD2 / N.I.N.A / Stellarium/StellariumScope/Remote Control / PI / RegiStax 6 / AutoStakkert!2 / PIPP | Retired? BackyardEOS Premium
EPs: Stock Celestron 9mm and 24mm / Celestron Omni 32mm (I love this one!) / Celestron X-Cel LX 3x Barlow (I think 2X would have been smarter...)
Let's Go Pens!!!
Stuart United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Stuart »

Sorry I was offline for awhile. Measure your average ADU of your flat with software. Some sequencing programs such as SGP will automatically do your flats for a particular ADU. The Backyard EOS line does not, as far as I know.
Usually, though, I measure it with the Statistics process in PIxinsight.
Personal equipment: TEC 140 F7 on Astro-Physics Mach 1 mount. Camera QSI 683ws7. Guide with Vario guiding scope
Shared equipment through Star Shadows Remote Observatory through PROMPT/ CTIO/Chile 16" RCOS 16803 chip
Shared equipment through San Diego Astronomy Society 14" RC with 16803 chip on a paramount
Software (for my stuff) PemPRO, SGP, PHD, Focus Boss, ASCOM, and Pixinsight on the other end.
fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador

Post by fatboy1271 »

Thanks Stuart! I figured PI could do it; I just didn't know what Process.
Let's Go Pens!!!