Help needed processing Moon

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
ic_1101 Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Help needed processing Moon

Post by ic_1101 »

Last night was a spectacular clear night with above average seeing but there was an almost full moon 30 degrees from my target so I decided to try capture some lunar shots. I used my QHY268C on the SW 120ED and captured 200 x .01sec images.
Loaded all the subs in AstroStakkert and selected under the color menu 'force bayer RGGB'. The result is shown below.
I tried color calibration on this image in PI with terrible results, mainly green and purple cast when I increased the saturation.
I'm a newbie to planetary imaging and can't figure out what i'm doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated.
QHY268C_Moon.jpg
QHY268C_Moon_processed.jpg
Alex
Scope: SW Esprit 120ED, Askar FRA300
Mount: ZWO AM5
Cameras: QHY268M/C, QHY183M/C, ASI290MM
Software: Pixinsight, AstroPixelProcessor, SGP
Observatory: Exploradome with Nexdome rotator
https://www.astrobin.com/users/ic_1101/
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Help needed processing Moon

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hi Alex,

Not too sure if I can help... I take pics with a Canon, so I use images. However, I use AS3 and under color I have it set to auto-detect. Comes out fine whether I shoot in monochrome or colour.

Hope that helps,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
ic_1101 Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by ic_1101 »

Thefatkitty wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:30 pm Hi Alex,

Not too sure if I can help... I take pics with a Canon, so I use images. However, I use AS3 and under color I have it set to auto-detect. Comes out fine whether I shoot in monochrome or colour.

Hope that helps,
Thx Mark, I did try the auto detect and it turned out as a grayscale image. Also tried eliminating that magenta cast but what was left didn’t have any color even after saturating it.
Alex
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

ic_1101 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:48 pm Thx Mark, I did try the auto detect and it turned out as a grayscale image. Also tried eliminating that magenta cast but what was left didn’t have any color even after saturating it.
Hi Alex, sorry to hear that. If you'd like, I can give it a whirl if you can post the files somewhere. You've actually got me curious.... Just offering :D

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
ic_1101 Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by ic_1101 »

That would be great Mark, much appreciated! I sent you the dropbox link by PM.
Alex
Whoune
Earth Ambassador

Post by Whoune »

ic_1101 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:03 pm Last night was a spectacular clear night with above average seeing but there was an almost full moon 30 degrees from my target so I decided to try capture some lunar shots. I used my QHY268C on the SW 120ED and captured 200 x .01sec images.
Loaded all the subs in AstroStakkert and selected under the color menu 'force bayer RGGB'. The result is shown below.
I tried color calibration on this image in PI with terrible results, mainly green and purple cast when I increased the saturation.
I'm a newbie to planetary imaging and can't figure out what i'm doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated.
For example, in this case I use spot color correction, that is, I select the desired one with a pipette and work with it directly. I can advise here https://create.vista.com/colors/palette ... r-palette/ to find the right color palette for yourself or use this one, the choice there is very large and compensate for one with the other when correcting the color, I think that this can help solve your problem. Good luckto you :)
gcisko United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by gcisko »

Did you ever get this sorted out? The one tip can offer is to use far fewer than 100 images to start out. My most recent lunar image posted to the Lunar section was just 6 individual images. And while I normally to stack them in autostakkert like you did, I have recently started using Sequator for stacking my lunar images. It works surprisingly well IMHO.
Celestron EdgeHD 8, AVX | StarSense | 2" Star Diagonal | Astrotech Illuminated finder
F/7 Focal Reducer | Powertank | Orion 7x50 Binoculars
Astrotech AT72ED | Star Adventurer by SkyWatcher
Eyepieces: Tele Vue 32mm WideField & 6mm Ethos | Nagler - 9mm & 16mm Type 2
Filters: Lumimcon & Baader OIII, Baader Sky & Moon Glow, 13% Moon
ASIair Pro & ZWO ASI533MC