Libraries: Bias, Darks, Flats

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

Libraries: Bias, Darks, Flats

Post by fatboy1271 »

What's the general opinion on keeping a library for Bias, Darks, and Flats?
  • I was under the impression that at least Darks should be at the "same" temperature as your Lights.
  • Flats help with dust motes and such so I'm guessing that as long as you don't remove the camera you could reuse them?
OTAs: Explore Scientific ED80 Essential Edition / The Little Guy (Celestron 90SLT)
Mount: Celestron Advanced VX
Gear: Canon 70D / Hutech LPS-D1-48 / ES 2" Field Flattener / QHY PoleMaster / Celestron GPS / ZWO ASI120MC / Orion 50mm Guide Scope / ZWO EAF
Software: CPWI / PHD2 / N.I.N.A / Stellarium/StellariumScope/Remote Control / PI / RegiStax 6 / AutoStakkert!2 / PIPP | Retired? BackyardEOS Premium
EPs: Stock Celestron 9mm and 24mm / Celestron Omni 32mm (I love this one!) / Celestron X-Cel LX 3x Barlow (I think 2X would have been smarter...)
Support Staff (Loved Ones!): CeCe, Ro, and Geno
Let's Go Pens!!!
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Libraries: Bias, Darks, Flats

Post by bobharmony »

I have kept Dark libraries from time to time. Yes, they should match the lights for temperature, ISO (for DSLRs), and exposure time. General guidance I have heard is that they should be effective for about 6 months before needing to be recreated.

I take flats for every session. Even if the camera is not removed, dust has a way of getting into, or shifting around in, a closed system. They don't take long so it is a minor chore to get a fresh set each time out.

I set up a Master bias every six months or so as well. For a DSLR, using the shortest available exposure time works well, and it is easy to run a couple of hundred off, then combine them into a master.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador

Post by fatboy1271 »

bobharmony wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:15 pm I have kept Dark libraries from time to time. Yes, they should match the lights for temperature, ISO (for DSLRs), and exposure time. General guidance I have heard is that they should be effective for about 6 months before needing to be recreated.

I take flats for every session. Even if the camera is not removed, dust has a way of getting into, or shifting around in, a closed system. They don't take long so it is a minor chore to get a fresh set each time out.

I set up a Master bias every six months or so as well. For a DSLR, using the shortest available exposure time works well, and it is easy to run a couple of hundred off, then combine them into a master.

Bob
Thanks Bob! May I ask what your Flat taking process is? I use my laptop screen and a t-shirt:
  • Not sure if the laptop screen is the right way to go
  • Should the t-shirt method be just one layer, like the front of it, or both layers?
  • I've used the AV setting on the 70D but also have no idea if that's working correctly
OTAs: Explore Scientific ED80 Essential Edition / The Little Guy (Celestron 90SLT)
Gear: Canon 70D / Hutech LPS-D1-48 / ES 2" Field Flattener / QHY PoleMaster / Celestron GPS / ZWO ASI120MC / Orion 50mm Guide Scope / ZWO EAF
Software: CPWI / PHD2 / N.I.N.A / Stellarium/StellariumScope/Remote Control / PI / RegiStax 6 / AutoStakkert!2 / PIPP | Retired? BackyardEOS Premium
EPs: Stock Celestron 9mm and 24mm / Celestron Omni 32mm (I love this one!) / Celestron X-Cel LX 3x Barlow (I think 2X would have been smarter...)
Let's Go Pens!!!
Aidi
Mars Ambassador

Post by Aidi »

Laptop screen with a T-Shirt to defuse the light works just fine. The other popular option is a LED light panel from Amazon which can be dimmed. Circa $20-30. Again with a T-Shirt proved very effective.

The amount of layers used will depend on how intense the light source is. With the above mentioned light panel, I only use one layer of a t-shirt and dim/brighten the light source as required to meet the required ADU.

If you ever have a plan to move away from DSLR to a dedicated AP camera, the SGP has a very good Flats Capture feature. Once you have that up and working, its difficult to not capture flats correctly.

As for storing and reusing flats, you are right with regards to reusing if nothing changes. Where possible always do new ones at the end of the session. For the time it takes to do them.. If you have just spent hours collecting data and the older sets of flats dont work correctly, then you risk having to do a lot of processing to compensate for lack of good flats.
Rgds
Aidi

Equipment: Skywatcher Esprit 120 | Altair Astro 70mm Quadruplet| EQ-6 R Pro | QHY PoleMaster | QHY5L-II Autoguide Camera | ZWO OAG | PHD2 | EQMOD/ASCOM | Atik 460ex Mono| ZWO ASI 1600mm Pro| Pegasus UPB & Focusers | SGP Pro | CDC | PS 2017 | PixInsight
fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador

Post by fatboy1271 »

Aidi wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:57 pm Laptop screen with a T-Shirt to defuse the light works just fine. The other popular option is a LED light panel from Amazon which can be dimmed. Circa $20-30. Again with a T-Shirt proved very effective.

The amount of layers used will depend on how intense the light source is. With the above mentioned light panel, I only use one layer of a t-shirt and dim/brighten the light source as required to meet the required ADU.

If you ever have a plan to move away from DSLR to a dedicated AP camera, the SGP has a very good Flats Capture feature. Once you have that up and working, its difficult to not capture flats correctly.

As for storing and reusing flats, you are right with regards to reusing if nothing changes. Where possible always do new ones at the end of the session. For the time it takes to do them.. If you have just spent hours collecting data and the older sets of flats dont work correctly, then you risk having to do a lot of processing to compensate for lack of good flats.
Thanks Aidi! For $20-$30 I think I'll be ordering that LED light panel today!!!

I really do want to move to a dedicated AP camera but I'll have to save up for one. It's good that my wife spent all that money on the 70D and then never needs it...
Let's Go Pens!!!
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

fatboy1271 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:53 pm What's the general opinion on keeping a library for Bias, Darks, and Flats?
I was under the impression that at least Darks should be at the "same" temperature as your Lights.
Yes.
fatboy1271 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:53 pm Flats help with dust motes and such so I'm guessing that as long as you don't remove the camera you could reuse them?
And yes. Don't remove the camera, don't turn it and don't wait until the dust motes have moved.

I take my flats by pointing the OTA at a white wall that I light with my headlamp. Because the wall is out of focus I don't need a T shirt. Sometimes when I am lazy I do it the next morning against the sky with a paper towel on top. I select the exposure by checking if it looks grayish on the LCD. Lots of methods work, it's not all that critical how you do it but it is important that you do it. It is quick so why not.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador

Post by fatboy1271 »

SkyHiker wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:49 pm
fatboy1271 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:53 pm What's the general opinion on keeping a library for Bias, Darks, and Flats?
I was under the impression that at least Darks should be at the "same" temperature as your Lights.
Yes.
fatboy1271 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:53 pm Flats help with dust motes and such so I'm guessing that as long as you don't remove the camera you could reuse them?
And yes. Don't remove the camera, don't turn it and don't wait until the dust motes have moved.

I take my flats by pointing the OTA at a white wall that I light with my headlamp. Because the wall is out of focus I don't need a T shirt. Sometimes when I am lazy I do it the next morning against the sky with a paper towel on top. I select the exposure by checking if it looks grayish on the LCD. Lots of methods work, it's not all that critical how you do it but it is important that you do it. It is quick so why not.
Thanks SkyHiker! I didn't know about the "checking if it looks grayish on the LCD." That's the other thing is that I never know if I'm getting the right exposure.
Let's Go Pens!!!
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

fatboy1271 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:37 pm Thanks Bob! May I ask what your Flat taking process is? I use my laptop screen and a t-shirt:
  • Should the t-shirt method be just one layer, like the front of it, or both layers?
  • I've used the AV setting on the 70D but also have no idea if that's working correctly

My process is very similar to yours. Instead of the laptop screen, I use a light panel, as some of the others have mentioned. I use the AV setting for the 60D, and one layer of t-shirt. Exposure times usually fall around 1/250". Works just fine for me.

Lots of good advice from folks here. :)

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador

Post by fatboy1271 »

bobharmony wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:46 pm
fatboy1271 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:37 pm Thanks Bob! May I ask what your Flat taking process is? I use my laptop screen and a t-shirt:

My process is very similar to yours. Instead of the laptop screen, I use a light panel, as some of the others have mentioned. I use the AV setting for the 60D, and one layer of t-shirt. Exposure times usually fall around 1/250". Works just fine for me.

Lots of good advice from folks here. :)

Bob
I just ordered a light panel on Amazon! Will be here on Friday... I'm so impatient!!! :)
Let's Go Pens!!!