Looking Deep into NGC1499 using NINA

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
umasscrew39 United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Looking Deep into NGC1499 using NINA

Post by umasscrew39 »

This is actually a topic on image acquisition, but I was not sure where else to place it. So, I hope that is ok to place it here.

I took this close-up image of NGC1499 (California Nebula) with a C11" EdgeHD @ f/10 with a Chroma Ha filter (5nm) and ZWO ASI6200MM Pro (0.28"/px) during average seeing conditions in my Bortle 7 sky. It is not meant to be an image of artistic beauty but rather to demonstrate how well NINA works and, in particular, its autofocus function. By simply using HFR as a way to monitor and adjust focus, there was no need to use any other parameter (e.g., temperature change) to keep the stars in focus all night. In this case, the temperature was dropping and the humidity rising but NINA ran like a champ for 8 hrs. I have only been using NINA a few months, but it is an amazing piece of software.
Final for Astrobin_ more cropped.jpg
Final for Astrobin.jpg
Last edited by umasscrew39 on Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce

Astronomy? Impossible to understand and madness to investigate........Sophocles, c. 420 BCE

StarzantiSkies Observatory
https://www.astrobin.com/users/umasscrew39/
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Looking Deep into NGC1499 using NINA

Post by chris_g »

umasscrew39 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:59 pm This is actually a topic on image acquisition, but I was not sure where else to place it. So, I hope that is ok to place it here.

I took this close-up image of NGC1499 (California Nebula) with a C11" EdgeHD @ f/10 with a Chroma Ha filter (5nm) and ZWO ASI6200MM Pro (0.28"/px) during average seeing conditions in my Bortle 7 sky. It is not meant to be an image of artistic beauty but rather to demonstrate how well NINA works and, in particular, its autofocus function. By simply using HFR as a way to monitor and adjust focus, there was no need to use any other parameter (e.g., temperature change) to keep the stars in focus all night. In this case, the temperature was dropping and the humidity rising but NINA ran like a champ for 8 hrs. I have only been using NINA a few months, but it is amazing piece of software.
Maybe a new forum under Astrophotography called Image Acquisition Software. What do you think @JayTee?

APT also has a new focus monitoring capability as well. It also has a new focusing routine they're calling Inv Power that just released with 8.9.0 that is supposed to be faster and more accurate than HFR. I use NINA for its TPPA routine, but I had problems with its sequencer that I couldn't solve, I'm sure it was me. APT will be adding a polar alignment routine in the near future. I also like APT for its interface over NINA and its ability to run multiple cameras.
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1044

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

I've been using NINA for a couple of years now. It does a lot of things quite well.

I used the 3 point polar alignment a couple of weeks ago and it's super fast and accurate!

I also find the focus program works well.

Have you tried the "Flats wizard"?
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

umasscrew39 United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by umasscrew39 »

Hi Gordon

I do use the Flat Wizard and it works great. I am using v1.10 and not the beta 2 version. I still use SharpCap when I need to do polar alignment. I am in a permanent observatory so I only need to do polar alignment a few times a year. I was playing with the advanced sequencer but I frankly don’t get the big deal about it. The basic sequencer works fine for me.
Bruce

Astronomy? Impossible to understand and madness to investigate........Sophocles, c. 420 BCE

StarzantiSkies Observatory
https://www.astrobin.com/users/umasscrew39/
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

I started using N.I.N.A. About 6 months ago and really enjoy using it.
Autofocus is why I changed to N.I.N.A. And I’ve enjoyed its outstanding performance.
The framing works great. I also use the simple sequencer, but I’ve tried out the advanced sequencer and it has some amazing triggers that I might need one day.
Three Point Polar Alignment works really well whether on the NCP or anywhere else in the sky.
The new Hocus Focus plugin nicely speeds up the autofocus process.
Yeah, I really like it!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

nice work , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

I dunno. I'm not impressed with the autofocuser. I've watched it struggle going forward and backward many,many times trying to obtain "perfect" focus. To the point that it sometimes takes it 30 minutes to get a satisfactory focus. My last couple of imaging sessions I've just done a manual focus and had good results... and it only takes 2 or 3 minutes. In any case if I have to change filters (I don't have a filter wheel (yet)) I have to manually get it close to focus anyway.

I'm also disappointed with NINA's ability (or lack thereof) to (re)acquire a (new) guiding star if PHD loses it's current one. Sometimes errant clouds will obscure the guiding star and NINA just keeps on taking images while star streaks go whizzing by.

Your mileage may vary....
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Star Dad wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:02 pm I dunno. I'm not impressed with the autofocuser. I've watched it struggle going forward and backward many,many times trying to obtain "perfect" focus. To the point that it sometimes takes it 30 minutes to get a satisfactory focus. My last couple of imaging sessions I've just done a manual focus and had good results... and it only takes 2 or 3 minutes. In any case if I have to change filters (I don't have a filter wheel (yet)) I have to manually get it close to focus anyway.

I'm also disappointed with NINA's ability (or lack thereof) to (re)acquire a (new) guiding star if PHD loses it's current one. Sometimes errant clouds will obscure the guiding star and NINA just keeps on taking images while star streaks go whizzing by.

Your mileage may vary....
Wow Star Dad. The autofocus experience that you describe is completely unusable. I don’t blame you for doing a manual focus!
My experience is quite different. My N.I.N.A. autofocus routine takes about two minutes to complete and it’s results are extremely repeatable.
Maybe backlash? Are you using backlash compensation?
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

I wonder if it's because my scope is a newt. I check it's alignment every time I set up, but the stress of the camera on the focuser may be the cause? I dunno, once I set the focus manually, (provided I don't change filters) I don't have to adjust it for the rest of my imaging session (which includes different targets). You think it might be backlash? I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the tip.

Still, watching NINA turn the focuser in and out - the dots on the focusing graph seem to just be a saw tooth. It's been a while since I used the autofocus routine, so maybe I should give it another try in the cool weather. Maybe it was a humidity/turbulence problem? If I ever get clear skies, I'll give it a go...
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Star Dad,

A flat line or saw tooth plot could be a sign of backlash.
Of course, all gear drive systems have some degree on backlash. It can be measured and the values entered, or you can try backlash compensation in N.I.N.A.
Of course, the step size is important to get pretty close. I just
left the default at 10 hand have had good success.
Not sure what electronic focuser you have, but you could always set a very aggressive backlash compensation value. I use 150 steps out and it works well for me.
I don’t think that it harms anything to set a high value, except the focuser moves more and might take an extra second or so.

Best of luck and keep us posted!
Jim