Reverse vignetting?

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
metastable
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Reverse vignetting?

Post by metastable »

A lengthy dew shield might help.
Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

metastable wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:22 pm A lengthy dew shield might help.
My focuser sits 6 inches inside the tube and I have a dew shield that extends 8 inches past that. You think I need more?

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
metastable
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by metastable »

It depends… does any light from the moon (or other sources) illuminate the area of the main tube within the black cone of the diagram when you are using the current dew shield?

Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

You're referring to this area, correct? I just want to be sure I understand.
I'll have to check next time I set up and that doesn't look like anytime soon...

Thanks!

Larry
Attachments
Stray-Light-Control_html_m1d4bfa9a.jpg
Stray-Light-Control_html_m1d4bfa9a.jpg (10.35 KiB) Viewed 2638 times
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

you can get an lop sided vignetting by having the secondary not properly alighned to your focuser ie depth dimension /the center bolt adjustment . :confusion-shrug:
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

yobbo89 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:49 pm you can get an lop sided vignetting by having the secondary not properly alighned to your focuser ie depth dimension /the center bolt adjustment . :confusion-shrug:
I bought a tool for that. It's basically a Cheshire eyepiece with a clear filter attached that has concentric circles. Maybe I misused it???
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

Larry 1969 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:03 pm
yobbo89 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:49 pm you can get an lop sided vignetting by having the secondary not properly alighned to your focuser ie depth dimension /the center bolt adjustment . :confusion-shrug:
I bought a tool for that. It's basically a Cheshire eyepiece with a clear filter attached that has concentric circles. Maybe I misused it???
if you have any error with the light cone illuminating center on the cmos/ccd then it should show up with a flat frame aswell, given that that the flat frame is controlled with something like a light box and not the sky and sun with a shirt ectt . generally a cheshire works pretty acurate on getting the depth adjustment for the secondary in the correct position ,

i rack my focuser out somewhere near to the same focus postion as my camera and then look through the cheshire , you might want to try different focus position just to generaly get the fov a good fit around the secondary mirror edges.

if it isn't comming out in your flats then really the problem is most likely not with the scope but an outside source ,moon ectt, street light .
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

I had some bad gradients with my DSLR when imaging the horsehead no matter how I rotated it. Eventually I switched to an astro camera and the problem is gone. I attribute that one to Alnitak hitting a shiny part of the camera.

I also had reverse vignetting when I started using an astro camera using just flats and no biases. The DSS forum straightened me out that I really need biases in order for the stacking math to work. This never was a problem with my DSLR. I suppose this is not your issue since it happens with uncalibrated lights as well.

So my best guess is some sort of reflection. I hope you find the cause.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I get so few clear nights to test anything out. I was able to get out for a few hours this past weekend and I spent it on NGC 1333. It was low in the east and I think there was some terrible sky glow in that area so the image is crap, but I took new flats at 32,000 ADU and the vignetting seems solved. I couldn't deal with the noise in this but I didn't notice any vignetting to speak of.
263753060_1489953288042290_4576492458713899922_n.jpg
Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

Larry 1969 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:59 pm Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I get so few clear nights to test anything out. I was able to get out for a few hours this past weekend and I spent it on NGC 1333. It was low in the east and I think there was some terrible sky glow in that area so the image is crap, but I took new flats at 32,000 ADU and the vignetting seems solved. I couldn't deal with the noise in this but I didn't notice any vignetting to speak of.Image

Larry
it's actualy some pretty reasonable detail and sharpness in the center , it looks like longer exposer time will seatle out the noise in the outer regions,but you do face skyglow comming in doing so ..