Reverse vignetting?

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Reverse vignetting?

Post by Larry 1969 »

I'm not even sure there is such a thing but I've been having trouble getting my flats to correct properly. The trouble seems random.
Some of my images are WAY over-corrected and I think I found out why by accident. I recently made a little animation of comet 67P out of 17 light frames stitched together with Google Photos so I stretched each image separately, with no calibration frames and I notices "reverse vignetting" on the left of the image. It's a bit easier to see in the animation but that's too large a file to upload here so here's a single frame that shows the problem (you have to look closely). The left upper and lower corners are brighter than the center and the right corners are darker (normal vignetting)...

I can't imagine what could cause that. Light entering my camera sensor from somewhere other than my scope?
How else could light hit my sensor outside my imaging circle??? :think:

Thanks for looking!

Larry
Attachments
Autosave6-DeNoiseAI-low-light.jpg
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
metastable
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Reverse vignetting?

Post by metastable »

Is there a street light / outdoor light near your telescope?
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Larry - when I looked at the image on the PC I use for processing (and I know how unreliable that is) it looked like there was a ring of "lightness" going all around the edges of the frame, with a darker ring appears in all the corners, more noticeable in the right hand corners but also present on the left side. I looked at the image on my tablet to check what I was seeing and it showed me the same thing. It makes me think that what you have been considering as over-corrected flats may actually be under-correcting in that they aren't removing all of the light ring you see in your uncalibrated comet subs. This is a assuming that there wasn't some external light source that caused the issue you see here.

To explore this further it would be helpful to know more about how you make your flats, light source, exposure, gain etc. I looked up the 26C and read it is a 16-bit camera. That being said the peak ADU for your flats should be about 32K to work most effectively. If it is significantly less, you could be undercorrecting, and if higher, you could be overcorrecting.

Of course someone may come along in 5 minutes and say "I've seen that before, it is caused by (insert your best guess here), get rid of the cause and you will be good to go".

These issues are some of the peskiest we deal with in the AP world, but getting them sorted out is well worth the effort in getting better future results and much less aggravation!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

metastable wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:53 am Is there a street light / outdoor light near your telescope?
Not really. There is a second story inside light on at times but not in the direction of imaging. Thanks.

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

bobharmony wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:01 am Larry - when I looked at the image on the PC I use for processing (and I know how unreliable that is) it looked like there was a ring of "lightness" going all around the edges of the frame, with a darker ring appears in all the corners, more noticeable in the right hand corners but also present on the left side. I looked at the image on my tablet to check what I was seeing and it showed me the same thing. It makes me think that what you have been considering as over-corrected flats may actually be under-correcting in that they aren't removing all of the light ring you see in your uncalibrated comet subs. This is a assuming that there wasn't some external light source that caused the issue you see here.

To explore this further it would be helpful to know more about how you make your flats, light source, exposure, gain etc. I looked up the 26C and read it is a 16-bit camera. That being said the peak ADU for your flats should be about 32K to work most effectively. If it is significantly less, you could be undercorrecting, and if higher, you could be overcorrecting.

Of course someone may come along in 5 minutes and say "I've seen that before, it is caused by (insert your best guess here), get rid of the cause and you will be good to go".

These issues are some of the peskiest we deal with in the AP world, but getting them sorted out is well worth the effort in getting better future results and much less aggravation!

Bob
I see that now. I use a Pegasus flat panel and APT's flat aid to capture 20,000 ADU flats because I was under the impression that approximately 1/3 peak ADU was most desirable. I can certainly take 32.000 ADU flats easy enough and try them. I'll see if I can find one of my corrected images and post it here for comparison.

Thanks Bob!

Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Larry 1969 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:35 am

I see that now. I use a Pegasus flat panel and APT's flat aid to capture 20,000 ADU flats because I was under the impression that approximately 1/3 peak ADU was most desirable. I can certainly take 32.000 ADU flats easy enough and try them. I'll see if I can find one of my corrected images and post it here for comparison.

Thanks Bob!

Larry
Hi Larry, yes 20,000 sounds a bit low to me. Over the years I have read conflicting information about how bright flats need to be to work properly, everything form "it doesn't matter at all" to "make sure flats are multisecond exposures and peak in the middle of the range". My experience tells me that the latter idea works well for me. Member @Stuart was very helpful in sorting out issues with flats for several folks about a year ago or maybe a little further back.

I am currently using 5 second flats that peak in the middle of the range and corresponding dark flats to correct the camera generated bias. When I started out a few years ago I would set the DSLR to A/V mode and let them rip, but over time I have found that running longer and exposing to the middle of the histogram makes post-process easier and has improved my final images. Of course every camera is different and you will need to experiment to see what works best for you and the Altair.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

metastable
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by metastable »

Was the moon out that night? I've seen very similar effects when either the moon is out or there is a street light somewhere nearby (the telescope doesn't have to be pointed towards the moon or the street light for this to happen).
metastable
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by metastable »

DSC_0063-Mean-3.jpg
dcrowson United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by dcrowson »

Larry,

are you subtracting bias or a matching-duration dark (if using a CMOS camera) from the flats?

Dan
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

dcrowson wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:48 am Larry,

are you subtracting bias or a matching-duration dark (if using a CMOS camera) from the flats?

Dan
Yes. I shoot dark flats and bias frames. Mainly because APP gives me a warning if I don't. The image I posted above is completely uncalibrated though.

Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
dcrowson United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by dcrowson »

Sorry, I just saw flats and not working and went from there. It is odd to get bright vignettes versus dark. The only thing I can think of is possibly light getting around the edges of the filters but the camera you have listed is a OSC. Maybe try pointing at something without the coma corrector and just see if it gives the same kind of result.
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

The Quattro series of scopes are terrible for light leakage. Next to impossible to do darks in the daylight unless you wrap the whole thing in a dark light eliminating blanket.
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

OhNo wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:21 pm The Quattro series of scopes are terrible for light leakage. Next to impossible to do darks in the daylight unless you wrap the whole thing in a dark light eliminating blanket.
I'm pretty sure I still have a little light leakage but I'm having a hard time understanding what could cause illumination OUTSIDE my imaging circle. It would almost have to be light entering the camera and hitting the sensor right?

Let me know if I have this right:
I have a rectangular (APS-C) sensor and a round imaging circle. The corners of the sensor get dark (vignetting). This is normal and can be calibrated out with flats. All light entering my scope, including any "light leakage" should be projected onto the sensor INSIDE the imaging circle. I don't understand where light could enter and hit the sensor in the corners... :think:

Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

metastable wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:54 pm Was the moon out that night? I've seen very similar effects when either the moon is out or there is a street light somewhere nearby (the telescope doesn't have to be pointed towards the moon or the street light for this to happen).
It was actually under a full moon...

Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

Light can enter around the primary mirror. At least mine does. Shooting away from the moon would expose the primary end to moonlight.....
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

OhNo wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:42 pm Light can enter around the primary mirror. At least mine does. Shooting away from the moon would expose the primary end to moonlight.....
Yeah. I get that, but let's say light did get into the scope from around the primary. I would expect it to show INSIDE my imaging circle. I would expect normal vignetting with the corners being dark. I don't get a whole lot of clear nights (I'm sure you know how it goes) so I'm going to try NGC 1333 tonight and take flats at 32,000 ADU and see what happens.

Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
metastable
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by metastable »

How is the baffling around your focuser? Stray light could be coming in (pictured below as a black cone around the secondary mirror)

Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

metastable wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:38 am How is the baffling around your focuser? Stray light could be coming in (pictured below as a black cone around the secondary mirror)

The tube is baffled from the focuser down to the primary.
I was able to get about 4 hours on NGC 1333 last night and I took 32,000 ADU flats. Stacking now.

Thanks!

Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
metastable
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by metastable »

I meant you might find that you need baffling in the focusing tube itself to prevent light from the moon reflecting off the side of the main tube from entering the focusing tube as shown by the black cone in the diagram.
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

metastable wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:29 pm I meant you might find that you need baffling in the focusing tube itself to prevent light from the moon reflecting off the side of the main tube from entering the focusing tube as shown by the black cone in the diagram.
I understand now. Thanks. I'm not sure how I would do that though. My CC inserts pretty far into the draw tube. I only have about 1 inch unused.

Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C