Newb question - Which stretch and how much?

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Newb question - Which stretch and how much?

Post by pakarinen »

How do you choose which stretch function to use and how much stretching should one do? Using JS9 for example, there's a choice of linear, log, asinh, etc. Should I just use whatever looks best for any particular channel? Should the stretched background be as dark as possible?

I tried stretching some RGB files and when I combined them, there was nothing but brighter stars and / or the color balance was way off - too red or blue or green.

Thanks!
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
STEVE333 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Newb question - Which stretch and how much?

Post by STEVE333 »

Hi Wassan - Which image processing software are you using?

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

I use PixInsight, which has more functions than any human could possibly learn. Sometimes, I will try arcsinh stretch or masked stretch, if I am not having any luck with anything else. Mostly, I just use a standard histogram stretch, followed by careful work with the curves function.

In the linear phase of the histogram stretch (i.e. adjusting the black and white points), i adjust the white point to give 0.001% clipping. I don't generally adjust the black point, since there typically isn't much room for adjustment there. Then, I will adjust the mid point to bring the peak of the histogram to 0.25. I usually prefer my backgrounds to be about 0.125 in the final image, but bringing it up to 0.25 allows me to see faint details that I might otherwise miss. I reduce the background later using curves.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
pakarinen United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

STEVE333 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:55 am Hi Wassan - Which image processing software are you using?

Steve
I've only played with JS9 so far. I do have a copy of FITS Liberator, but haven't really used it.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s