Help with stacking plz

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Help with stacking plz

Post by Mirrorgirl »

Hi there

Just wondered if I took s bunch of 30 seconds exposures of the pleades sorry about spelling,.. and then another day took some more on same target..... could you put both of them together and stack them?
Eqm35 Skywatcher mount..Skywatcher 80 ed telescope, 71 W/O GT ...bunch of eye pieces 25,mm 32mm etc...Nexter 4,se...385 mc Zwo camera, Zwo 183 colour cooled pro camera... Orion 80 ed...two compass...
Sky fi wireless telescope controller.. Rebel t3i.. light pollution L XTREME, Idas light pollution filter and Antlia 3nm gold, Antlia h alpha filter filter..other filters .. pixinsight .. startools..

:observatory: NONE :observatory:
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Help with stacking plz

Post by pakarinen »

From what I’ve read, yes, you can. I’ll defer to the experts here though.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

The short answer is yes. Also the long answer is yes. If the image particulars are the same eg. scale, ISO then you can stack them all together. If some element is different for example different ISO's then you can stack each ISO separately and then take the results from those separate stacks and stack them into a single image.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mirrorgirl »

When I get the results from those seperate stacks because I have a bunch at ISO 400 and then sum at ISO 800 .. would I just get the final image of both and stack them sorry if this sounds silly I just don't know what to do next
Eqm35 Skywatcher mount..Skywatcher 80 ed telescope, 71 W/O GT ...bunch of eye pieces 25,mm 32mm etc...Nexter 4,se...385 mc Zwo camera, Zwo 183 colour cooled pro camera... Orion 80 ed...two compass...
Sky fi wireless telescope controller.. Rebel t3i.. light pollution L XTREME, Idas light pollution filter and Antlia 3nm gold, Antlia h alpha filter filter..other filters .. pixinsight .. startools..

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Are you using DeepSkyStacker?

If you are, you can add your lights and any calibration files to the Main Group (main window as you usually do).

Then, look at the bottom of the window and you will see that after you add files, another tab appears next to the "Main Group" called Group 1. Select that tab and add your other lights/calibration files with different exposure times or iso to that group.

Then process as usual.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mirrorgirl »

Thank you I will try

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Juno16 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:36 am Are you using DeepSkyStacker?

If you are, you can add your lights and any calibration files to the Main Group (main window as you usually do).

Then, look at the bottom of the window and you will see that after you add files, another tab appears next to the "Main Group" called Group 1. Select that tab and add your other lights/calibration files with different exposure times or iso to that group.

Then process as usual.
One note about Jim's excellent explanation - DSS files that get added to the main group are used in all the groups that get created, so it is not the best place to put one set of lights if using multiple groups, as those lights will get processed in each stack. When using multiple groups the "Main" group is a great place for bias frames, or dark flats if you are using them. Group1, Group2, etc would contain the lights and darks for each session.

Or if as JT says you are processing just a bunch of lights from different nights, just throw them all into the Main group and let DSS sort out any sort of offset and rotation differences between the two nights. Sometimes simpler is better.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

@bobharmony

Thanks for the clarification Bob! I didn’t realize that!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Yes, you can. I've done it with that target in particular. I plate solved the image from the first night then did a goto. Keep in mind that you're iso and exposure need to be the same unless you're going to do HDR processing. The only thing you need to keep in mind after that is your camera's angle.

Good luck and clear skies!
Mirrorgirl wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:16 am Hi there

Just wondered if I took s bunch of 30 seconds exposures of the pleades sorry about spelling,.. and then another day took some more on same target..... could you put both of them together and stack them?
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mirrorgirl »

Hi there
Where would I find final image autosave ?

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Mirrorgirl wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:08 pm Hi there
Where would I find final image autosave ?
What are you using for stacking and image acquisition?

You can add a signature in your user profile that will add that type of information to every post so you don't have to. Check out my replies for an example.

You'll see two sections at the end, one for session control and another for processing...
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

On the left side, click on “Stack checked pictures “. Then click on the Stacking Parameters button. Click on the Output tab. In the Output Location section, you should hopefully see where the autosave file went to.
Jim

Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mirrorgirl »

Hi yes finally stacked both I'm now on pixinsight and I have stretched my image...but it is bright yellow...do you no how to keep the details of target and take the horrible yellow away so I have a better image to work with
Thanks
Rhoda

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Mirrorgirl wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:30 pm Hi yes finally stacked both I'm now on pixinsight and I have stretched my image...but it is bright yellow...do you no how to keep the details of target and take the horrible yellow away so I have a better image to work with
Thanks
Rhoda
That sounds like light pollution. If it is light pollution, while I've never used PixInsight I use Photoshop, I believe PixInsight has a process called Dynamic Background Extraction. Do an internet search for more details. And there are others that know oh so much more than I about processing in PixInsight :)
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

If you ended up using different groups make sure to mark one light as the reference frame against which all others are stacked. Then you'll get a single Autosave.tif for both groups with everything aligned.

While I never had trouble omitting bias frames with a DSLR, later on I did run into trouble with my ASI2600 if I did not include them. So best to include some.

Just to be sure: Did you use raw subs for stacking, or JPG ? Raw is recommended, I have stacked JPG at times and it also worked but all kinds of corrections are already done. So, stacking raw is strongly recommended.

PixInsight has various methods for gradient removal. I don't know PI myself but from what I hear it has a painful learning curve but it pays off.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images