Help with reflections

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Help with reflections

Post by Larry 1969 »

Good day all!
I wasn't sure where to post this since there is no "What went wrong with my image" category... Feel free to move it if needed...
I've had 6 clear nights with almost no moon a few weeks ago and I've squandered them...
I was anxious to image something in Orion but it doesn't clear my trees until 02:00 so I imaged NGC 891 until then and then off to M78.
These two images were taken over the same three nights with the same calibration frames applied to each. 50 flats, 50 dark flats and 100 bias frames were used. There are a couple things going on here...

You can clearly see the semicircular artifact in the upper right corner of M78 and there is a streak or smear type artifact in NGC 891. These flaws appear in all the data. My first thought is to apply some paint to any shiny screws and bits in my tube and try again...

Problem #2: Since the images were taken together, why do you suppose the flats didn't seem to correct M78 very well???

This has been pretty frustrating to say the least. I am open to suggestions...

Larry
Attachments
M78_combo-RGB-session_1full combo.jpg
silver_sliver_combo-RGB-session_1.jpg
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Help with reflections

Post by SkyHiker »

What stacker did you use? I presume the OTA and camera from your signature?
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Help with reflections

Post by Larry 1969 »

SkyHiker wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:55 am What stacker did you use? I presume the OTA and camera from your signature?
Thanks for the reply Henk. These were stacked in APP.

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C