Deep Sky Stacker tip.

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Deep Sky Stacker tip.

Post by Greenman »

If you find problems adding darks or flats to DSS ensure you are using the same program to collect the lights and calibration files.
Otherwise you may be puzzled why you are unable to stack the calibration files and get a warning that there are incompatible files due to colour, size etc.

I collected on my ASIAir and did the calibrations with SharpCap. Has taken me a bit of time to track down the issue. Different programs produce files with enough difference to cause this error.

Hope this saves someone searching the web for ages…
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Deep Sky Stacker tip.

Post by bobharmony »

Thanks for pointing up one of the quirky things about DSS, Tony - I'll add another. If you modify an calibration frame that was created by the same program as your lights, you may receive a similar message and DSS refusing to use them.

A couple of years back I tried rotating my darks by 180 degrees to compensate for a meridian flip, and got the same error message about image size from DSS. I deal with it now by turning off the auto-orientation change option in the camera setup. It is there to help when you rotate the camera 90 degrees for a daytime photo that you want in portrait mode rather than landscape - but can be an issue for AP calibration frames.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

seigell United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by seigell »

These are both common issues with AP Capture Programs:
  1. Some programs capture the Entire Sensor to the Output FITS or RAW (including the masked-off calibration pixels) and others only capture the "visible pixels". This produces output files of differing dimensions with no information on what might be "discardable".
  2. Some Capture Apps apply the Camera Orientation information to the file before outputting it, while others more correctly record that info to the EXIF Orientation field and leave the image as original. Similarly, some users will use a FITS-TIFF or RAW-TIFF Conversion Routine that takes action on the Camera Orientation rather than simply transfer that EXIF data to the output file. (Pre-stacking file conversions are dissuaded as they often apply Gama or Stretching or Debayering - all of which cause serious problems with the Calibration and Stacking to be performed in DSS or PI or APP or other program.)
Neither of these are a fault of DSS, no more than inputting poor Lights or Calibration files or poor focus or poor guiding...
ES AR152 / ES 80ED Apo / Orion 8in F/3.9 / C9.25-SCT / C6-SCT / C10-NGT / AT6RC / ST-80 / AstroView 90 / Meade 6000 APO 115mm
CGEM (w HyperTune and ADM bling) / 2x CG5-AGT / Forest of Tripod legs / Star Adventurer / Orion EQ-G
550D (Modded-G.Honis) / 60D / 400D / NexImage / NexGuide / Mini 50 SSAG / ST-8300C / ASI120MM-S / ASI1600MM-Cool
Dark Skies in SW CO when I can get there, and badly light polluted backyard when I can't... (Currently Self-Exiled to Muggy Central Florida...)
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Greenman »

seigell wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:55 pm These are both common issues with AP Capture Programs:
  1. Some programs capture the Entire Sensor to the Output FITS or RAW (including the masked-off calibration pixels) and others only capture the "visible pixels". This produces output files of differing dimensions with no information on what might be "discardable".
  2. Some Capture Apps apply the Camera Orientation information to the file before outputting it, while others more correctly record that info to the EXIF Orientation field and leave the image as original. Similarly, some users will use a FITS-TIFF or RAW-TIFF Conversion Routine that takes action on the Camera Orientation rather than simply transfer that EXIF data to the output file. (Pre-stacking file conversions are dissuaded as they often apply Gama or Stretching or Debayering - all of which cause serious problems with the Calibration and Stacking to be performed in DSS or PI or APP or other program.)
Neither of these are a fault of DSS, no more than inputting poor Lights or Calibration files or poor focus or poor guiding...
I wasn’t referring to it as a fault in DSS, it is however undocumented in the manual as to what could cause the issue. That led to a scramble through the internet to resolve the problem (as a relative beginner at DSO work). I was unaware of the issue for that reason; and your information is useful as an aside.

I don’t at this point have many of the answers, or indeed most of the questions. :D
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447