Technique for removing unwanted artifacts with PixInsight

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Technique for removing unwanted artifacts with PixInsight

Post by STEVE333 »

I've found the following technique useful for removing unwanted artifacts from some of my images. The artifacts can be small or large. The technique uses PixInsight, but, maybe there is a way to migrate the technique to Photoshop or Star Tools? The technique works best if the artifact is NOT imbedded in the target of interest (Galaxy?). Hope it proves useful for you.

The image to be repaired is M74_LRGB which was kindly provided by MariusD69. The artifact to be repaired is the bright horizontal streak about half way between M74 and the top of the image.

Original.jpg

TECHNIQUE:
1) Make a copy of your original image (M74_LRGB in my case) and name it Blurred.

2) Use CloneStamp to remove the Nebula or Galaxy and any bright stars from Blurred as shown below.
CloneStampped.JPG

3) Use Convolution to blur Blurred and increase StdDev until all stars have just blended into the background as shown below. Don't overdo.
Blurred.JPG

4) Open the GAME script and select the original image. With the original image shown in the window select Binary Masks under Export Masks. Click the +Add button and a small ellipse will appear on the image with four "handles" around the edges and one handle in the center. The four handles around the edge of the ellipse can be "dragged to stretch/rotate the ellipse. The handle in the center of the ellipse can be dragged to move the entire ellipse. Adjust the ellipse until it surrounds the region to be "repaired" as shown in the image below. When ready click the OK button to create the mask. I named the mask SM (Streak Mask).
Game.jpg

5) The created mask will have sharp boundaries with everything inside the ellipse being 1 and everything outside the mask being zero as shown in the image below.
SM.jpg

Use Convolution on the mask to soften the edges as shown in the image below. Rename this blurred image as BSM (Blurred Streak Mask)
BSM.jpg

6) Use the StarMask process to create a star mask of the original image. I used a Smoothness = 1 to make sure the star mask didn't include any of the artifact. Subtract this star mask from BSM. The resulting mask (I named it BSM_NS, for Blurred Streak Mask_No Stars) will select the region to be repaired but will protect the stars. The result is shown below.
BSM_NS.jpg

7) The picture below shows the PixelMath expression to use to repair the image. In the expression you would replace M74_LRGB with the name of your image. In the Destination portion of PixelMath I chose to create a new image and named it Repaired. Once everything is entered into PixelMath click the square button at the bottom left corner of the PixelMath window to create the repaired image.
PI.JPG

The result is shown below.
Repaired.JPG

Further Thoughts for advanced PI users: If the original image has noise in the background the repaired portion of the image may look a bit too "clean". In that case, the BSM_NS mask could be used on the Repaired image to insert noise and then use the Convolution tool to match the noise to the noise in the background.

GAME Script: The GAME script can be downloaded from the link below.
http://www.skypixels.at/pixinsight_scri ... dvstarmask

Hope this proves useful for you.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Technique for removing unwanted artifacts with PixInsight

Post by yobbo89 »

very nice!, you post so many good tutorials, we need a steve's sticky thread for all of them !.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

That is beautiful Steve!

I am going through Adam Block's Fundamentals and I really appreciate your techniques for removing artifacts in PI!

Excellent!

So far, I have found that the Generalized Extreme Studentzed Deviate rejection algorithm has done a good job for me and I haven't run into this issue yet.

Your method is in my tool box! Thanks!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

yobbo89 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:37 am very nice!, you post so many good tutorials, we need a steve's sticky thread for all of them !.
Thank you, very kind. When I find something that helps me I like to share it with others. Glad you like them.

Juno16 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:31 am That is beautiful Steve!

I am going through Adam Block's Fundamentals and I really appreciate your techniques for removing artifacts in PI!

Excellent!

So far, I have found that the Generalized Extreme Studentzed Deviate rejection algorithm has done a good job for me and I haven't run into this issue yet.

Thanks Jim - Adam is one smart guy. I've seen many of his tutorials and liked all of them. In fact I'm looking at one now that deals with using a Pedestal in WBPP to prevent black pixels after calibration. Good luck with his Fundamentals. Is that a course you pay for?

As for my tutorial I hope you never need to use it, but, it is nice to have in the tool box.

Cheers,

Steve
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

STEVE333 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:58 pm
Juno16 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:31 am That is beautiful Steve!

Excellent!

Thanks Jim - Adam is one smart guy. I've seen many of his tutorials and liked all of them. In fact I'm looking at one now that deals with using a Pedestal in WBPP to prevent black pixels after calibration. Good luck with his Fundamentals. Is that a course you pay for?

As for my tutorial I hope you never need to use it, but, it is nice to have in the tool box.

Cheers,

Steve
Yes, the Fundamentals course in $180. It is very involved and I am still in the early stages. He covers all of the basics and I am familiar with most of what he has covered so far, but I have picked up on many small details and tools available in PI. I'm sure that it will be worth every penny!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Juno16 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:10 pm
STEVE333 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:58 pm

Steve

Yes, the Fundamentals course in $180. It is very involved and I am still in the early stages. He covers all of the basics and I am familiar with most of what he has covered so far, but I have picked up on many small details and tools available in PI. I'm sure that it will be worth every penny!
Thanks Jim - Please keep us updated on your progress through his course.

Steve
Sky United States of America
Moon Ambassador

Post by Sky »

STEVE333 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:13 pm I've found the following technique useful for removing unwanted artifacts from some of my images. The artifacts can be small or large. The technique uses PixInsight, but, maybe there is a way to migrate the technique to Photoshop or Star Tools?
This technique can be reproduced in Photoshop using a method I call "Synthetic Background Replacement". The results are seamless while retaining the faintest stars and nebulosity. It also has the added benefit of removing noise and any "blotching" in the background. Here's my result processed in Photoshop:

If anyone is interested, I'll post the workflow. Applying this method is very quick, so the workflow is pretty short.

Thank You Steve for posting your work ....
M74_fix_TSS.jpg

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Hi Sky - The "Synthetic Background Replacement" does completely remove the streak. Unfortunately it has also removed most of the low level nebulosity in the image which may not be desirable. However, that choice will be up to each user.

Thanks for replying and sharing your technique.

Best regards,
Steve
Moon Ambassador

Post by Sky »

STEVE333 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:50 pm Hi Sky - The "Synthetic Background Replacement" does completely remove the streak. Unfortunately it has also removed most of the low level nebulosity in the image which may not be desirable. However, that choice will be up to each user.

Best regards,
Steve
OK ... Steve, now I can see what you're talking about. In the daytime, the very faint nebulosity looks like background noise (blotch). However, looking at the monitor at night in a darkened room, the faint nebulosity is clearly visible and it's something you would want to retain.

So, I re-opened the image and isolated the artifact from the rest of the image, to preserve the faint nebulosity and removed the artifact. However, I still needed to some manual clean-up to make the image look right. I don't like to rely on manual fixes.

I've got some other ideas to develop a quick workflow in Photoshop, based on your work, that will get the job done with a minimal number of steps and without any manual clean-up. I'll post my results ...

Here's my updated image:
M74_TSS_Fix_F.jpg

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Sky wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:31 pm
STEVE333 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:50 pm Hi Sky - The "Synthetic Background Replacement" does completely remove the streak. Unfortunately it has also removed most of the low level nebulosity in the image which may not be desirable. However, that choice will be up to each user.

Best regards,
Steve
OK ... Steve, now I can see what you're talking about. In the daytime, the very faint nebulosity looks like background noise (blotch). However, looking at the monitor at night in a darkened room, the faint nebulosity is clearly visible and it's something you would want to retain.

So, I re-opened the image and isolated the artifact from the rest of the image, to preserve the faint nebulosity and removed the artifact. However, I still needed to some manual clean-up to make the image look right. I don't like to rely on manual fixes.

I've got some other ideas to develop a quick workflow in Photoshop, based on your work, that will get the job done with a minimal number of steps and without any manual clean-up. I'll post my results ...

Here's my updated image:

Very nice improvement! It does an excellent job of removing the artifact while leaving the rest of the image untouched. Well done! I'm sure Photoshop users will be interested in your workflow.

Steve
starfield United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by starfield »

Hey Steve, this is great. I'd love to see your Photoshop workflow. Due to my local LP, I sometimes end up with backgrounds that I just can't fix and your Synthetic Background Extraction method looks like the ticket. As for the Adam Block courses, I've been working thru them too and found them helpful. In particular, I've found the sections where he works an example end-to-end to really good, you get to hear him thinking out loud as he makes his workflow decisions and approach which I find to be the hardest part (and one that's developed thru experiences). I've been at PI for about 9 months and knowing which "tool" to pull out when is half the battle in learning this program.
Scopes: Esprit 100, 12.5" Telekit Dob
Camera: 294 MC Pro, 224 mc, 2600mm
Guiding: ZWO 290 mini on 120mm guide scope
Mounts: EQ6R-Pro, EQ Platform.
Filters: Optolong L-Pro & L-Enhance, Chroma 36mm LRGB, 5nm HA, 3nm OIII, 3nm SII.
Software: SharpCap, SGP, StarTools 1.7, Photoshop, Pixinsight
The Death Star Observatory
Astro Photos:https://www.astrobin.com/users/starfield/

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

starfield wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:08 pm Hey Steve, this is great. I'd love to see your Photoshop workflow. Due to my local LP, I sometimes end up with backgrounds that I just can't fix and your Synthetic Background Extraction method looks like the ticket. As for the Adam Block courses, I've been working thru them too and found them helpful. In particular, I've found the sections where he works an example end-to-end to really good, you get to hear him thinking out loud as he makes his workflow decisions and approach which I find to be the hardest part (and one that's developed thru experiences). I've been at PI for about 9 months and knowing which "tool" to pull out when is half the battle in learning this program.

Hi starfield - Sky is the one who came up with the Photoshop technique. I think he is going to post it once he has it "polished".

Steve
Moon Ambassador

Post by Sky »

Success .... I didn't like the workflow on my last post ... too much manual clean-up and fudging. So, I decided to go off in a completely different direction and explore using the "content aware" tool. It's available in Photoshop CS 4.0 and up. I use PS 5.0.

"Content Aware" will remove a foreground object (stars and artifact) and will replace the "hole" with data interpolated from the surrounding background (faint nebulosity). The workflow I developed is very short and takes under 3 minutes to complete with only 3 basic steps. The results are amazing and with no touch-ups needed on the final image. The removal of the artifact is complete and seamless. If you take a close look at my posted image by boosting the brightness to 150, you'll see a smooth flow of background nebulosity replacing the "hole" created by the artifact removal. Of course, the stars that were removed by the content aware tool are replaced during the workflow.

Here's my workflow:

Step 1: "Make a "stars only" copy" ..... Open Image - goto Select - Color Range .... Click Inverse - Set Fuzziness 200 - Click OK - Copy and Paste Stars into newly created blank image (no need to flatten this image). Don't be concerned with the galaxy image still being there, since it won't be blended back into the final image.

Step 2: " Use "Content Aware" to remove artifact .... goto Select - Deselect ... goto Tools - Lasso (Mark out (surround) the artifact (does not need to be precise and try to avoid cutting bright stars in half)) ... goto Edit - Fill: "Use" set to Content Aware - "Mode" Normal - "Opacity" 100 ... Hit OK .... Now, the artifact should be totally removed. Next, remove any stars in inside the boundary of the Lasso using the Spot Healing Brush Tool or any tool of your choice

Step 3: Blend back the missing stars removed by the "Content Aware Tool" .... Using the Content Aware image... goto Select - All ... Copy and Paste over the "Stars Only Image" ... Select "Blend Mode" and set to Lighten. You're done!

Finish: You should now have an image with the seamless removal of the artifact and with all the stars in their correct positions. I would recommend making a close inspection of your image by setting the "Brightness" to 150. Now, you can see how the faint nebulosity is nicely distributed across the area of the former artifact. If needed, any minor cosmetic defects can now be corrected before the image is set back to normal "Brightness".
M74_Final_Fix.jpg

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Sky wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:11 am Success .... I didn't like the workflow on my last post ... too much manual clean-up and fudging. So, I decided to go off in a completely different direction and explore using the "content aware" tool. It's available in Photoshop CS 4.0 and up. I use PS 5.0.

"Content Aware" will remove a foreground object (stars and artifact) and will replace the "hole" with data interpolated from the surrounding background (faint nebulosity). The workflow I developed is very short and takes under 3 minutes to complete with only 3 basic steps. The results are amazing and with no touch-ups needed on the final image. The removal of the artifact is complete and seamless. If you take a close look at my posted image by boosting the brightness to 150, you'll see a smooth flow of background nebulosity replacing the "hole" created by the artifact removal. Of course, the stars that were removed by the content aware tool are replaced during the workflow.

Here's my workflow:

Step 1: "Make a "stars only" copy" ..... Open Image - goto Select - Color Range .... Click Inverse - Set Fuzziness 200 - Click OK - Copy and Paste Stars into newly created blank image (no need to flatten this image). Don't be concerned with the galaxy image still being there, since it won't be blended back into the final image.

Step 2: " Use "Content Aware" to remove artifact .... goto Select - Deselect ... goto Tools - Lasso (Mark out (surround) the artifact (does not need to be precise and try to avoid cutting bright stars in half)) ... goto Edit - Fill: "Use" set to Content Aware - "Mode" Normal - "Opacity" 100 ... Hit OK .... Now, the artifact should be totally removed. Next, remove any stars in inside the boundary of the Lasso using the Spot Healing Brush Tool or any tool of your choice

Step 3: Blend back the missing stars removed by the "Content Aware Tool" .... Using the Content Aware image... goto Select - All ... Copy and Paste over the "Stars Only Image" ... Select "Blend Mode" and set to Lighten. You're done!

Finish: You should now have an image with the seamless removal of the artifact and with all the stars in their correct positions. I would recommend making a close inspection of your image by setting the "Brightness" to 150. Now, you can see how the faint nebulosity is nicely distributed across the area of the former artifact. If needed, any minor cosmetic defects can now be corrected before the image is set back to normal "Brightness".

Looks nice Sky. Since I don't have PS I can't follow along, but, the results look very clean! Well done.

Steve