Photoshop star removal plug in

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Photoshop star removal plug in

Post by Jockinireland »

Russel Croman (GradientXterminator) has just released a new photoshop plug in to remove stars - StarXterminator

https://www.rc-astro.com/resources/StarXTerminator/

On a very quick runthrough I am highly impressed.

I took the same image
Monkeyhead.jpg
removed stars in Pixinsight with Starnet++ to get this - some quite bad artefacts
Monkeyhead_Starnet.jpg
Took the same tiff image into photoshop used Star exterminator to get this much improved version (but note the dissapearance of the small standalone neb to left of centre)
starless_MonkeyRC.jpg
One of my problems with Starnet++ has always been the matrix artefact where bright stars were removed, like this
Monkeyhead_Starnet_zoom.jpg
with starXterminator that is just not an issue (the sales pitch does reference this specific issue) but again some minor lose of nebula in the top right quadrant
starless_MonkeyRC1_zoom.jpg
I have a lot more trialling to do with it but, for those who only use photoshop, or like me dont mind shuttling back and forward to Photoshop it sure looks promising. I think that loss of nebula can be easily resolved with masks or clone stamp.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Photoshop star removal plug in

Post by Juno16 »

That looks great David!

I am having artifact issues with difficulty with Starnet++ right now and this plugin looks great.

Thanks for the review.

May have to wait a few weeks though Just went for the Adam Block fundamentals course yesterday.

Sounds very promising and I will definitely look at it.

Ah, there is a free trial!

Thanks
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Photoshop star removal plug in

Post by OzEclipse »

I have written my own PS action script for a one click general star reduction, not removal. It's deliberately not too strong. Just reduces stars a little without wiping out all the faint stars. Copy below free for anyone who might find it useful.
Regards
Joe
Attachments
Star reduction.atn.zip
(1.24 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)