Another calibration frame question...

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Another calibration frame question...

Post by Larry 1969 »

Good day all!
I've been fooling around with APP and using it mainly for pre-processing and I've been receiving this message...
I don't want to use darks or bias frames since I don't believe I need them with my Altair 26C but it says it can't calibrate my frames without them...
Screenshot (41).png
Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Another calibration frame question...

Post by SkyHiker »

Larry 1969 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:41 am Good day all!
I've been fooling around with APP and using it mainly for pre-processing and I've been receiving this message...
I don't want to use darks or bias frames since I don't believe I need them with my Altair 26C but it says it can't calibrate my frames without them...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Larry
Go to the DSS board and they will tell you also that you need bias frames.

Bias frames are not just for hot pixels but also for the offset. In DSS, if it works if is because the offset happens to be zero. If you complain to them that the stacking does not work and they find out you did not use bias frames, better take cover!

So maybe APP just wants to have bias frames to determine the offset instead of leaving it to chance.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Thanks Henk!

Bias frames are easy enough to capture and I could reuse them for some time I suppose...
I have been reading about them not being required for CMOS cameras and figured I'd skip them...

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
XCalRocketMan United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by XCalRocketMan »

Isn't it only complaining about the flat calibration? I've had good results ignoring this warning. But I'm new to APP.
Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Mounts AP1100GTO mount w/APCCpro; iOptron iEQ30 Pro; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Lenses Hyperstar-III; Celestron 0.7x FR; WO Flat/Reducer 0.8x
Guiding Celestron OAG w/ASI174mm mini; WO 50mm; Orion ST80
Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans
Software NINA; PHD; APT; BYE; PI; APP; PSP; Registax; FireCapture; SharpCap
Blog at: SkyAndRockets
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

XCalRocketMan wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:56 am Isn't it only complaining about the flat calibration? I've had good results ignoring this warning. But I'm new to APP.
I keep reading the warning and it seems the light frames are calibrated by the bias frames and then flat field calibration is applied...
I'm not exactly sure what it does, but bias frames are easy enough to shoot right after dark flats so I took and applied them...

Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
XCalRocketMan United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by XCalRocketMan »

Larry 1969 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:47 am
XCalRocketMan wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:56 am Isn't it only complaining about the flat calibration? I've had good results ignoring this warning. But I'm new to APP.
I keep reading the warning and it seems the light frames are calibrated by the bias frames and then flat field calibration is applied...
I'm not exactly sure what it does, but bias frames are easy enough to shoot right after dark flats so I took and applied them...

Larry
With the ASI2600 I don't take Bias frames (recommended). Generally, just dark, flats and dark flats.
Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Mounts AP1100GTO mount w/APCCpro; iOptron iEQ30 Pro; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Lenses Hyperstar-III; Celestron 0.7x FR; WO Flat/Reducer 0.8x
Guiding Celestron OAG w/ASI174mm mini; WO 50mm; Orion ST80
Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans
Software NINA; PHD; APT; BYE; PI; APP; PSP; Registax; FireCapture; SharpCap
Blog at: SkyAndRockets
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

XCalRocketMan wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:39 pm With the ASI2600 I don't take Bias frames (recommended). Generally, just dark, flats and dark flats.
I'm using an Altair 26C (same sensor as your 2600) and I'm not taking darks. That's what is triggering the warning for me.
It says I need darks or bias frames... Bias frames are much easier for me so I don't mind using them.

Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C