Processing flawed data

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Processing flawed data

Post by Larry 1969 »

Good day all!
I've been enjoying the monthly processing challenge quite a bit. Thanks for that!
My Iris Nebula dataset gave me fits until I selected "Uncalib-1" in the "Wipe" module in StarTools. I believe this may have been due to some light leakage around my focuser. I think the power LED from my mount may have been the source. This was 3 separate moonless nights combined and stacked in APP with no stretch applied. The fits file opened in StarTools, cropped and binned to give me a Facebook worthy size of 2048 pixels along the longest edge. The first screenshot is "Wipe" with the default settings applied and I clicked on "Color".
Screenshot (33).png
This next screenshot is with "Uncalib-1" and "Color" selected...
Screenshot (34).png
I find the latter much easier to process...
I'd be happy to upload the fits for a monthly challenge or if anyone wants to take a crack at it but I'm curious what exactly went wrong...
Would you agree with the light leak theory? Something else? This was pretty disappointing after spending 3 nights on a target...

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Processing flawed data

Post by yobbo89 »

yeah looks like you're soaking in something, what exposure time do you also use ?
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Processing flawed data

Post by Larry 1969 »

yobbo89 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:40 pm yeah looks like you're soaking in something, what exposure time do you also use ?
Thanks! These were 60 sec exposures...

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C