Topaz AI Sharpen results

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
AstroBee United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Topaz AI Sharpen results

Post by AstroBee »

Hey folks,
I recently downloaded the trial versions of Topaz AI Noise Reduction and Topaz AI Sharpen. I don't have a pony in this race, just felt the need to share these results.
I found the results of the AI Noise feature to be absolutely amazing but it didn't offer any sharpening ability so I then downloaded the AI Sharpen plugin and was pleasantly surprised to see that besides sharpening, it also contains a decent noise reduction offering so that's the plugin I decided to go with.
It has a neat split-screen feature where you can wipe the results on and off as you can see in these two 100% crops.
Image Image

As you can see, it does a fairly incredible job of not just sharpening the image without making it look too harsh but it does a pretty amazing job on the noise reduction too. And I might add that this was with the default "auto" settings.
All you need is Photoshop. In my opinion, it's a game-changer but I'm sure some pixel peepers will find problems with it. But look how M57's progenitor star pops with the filter applied.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
starfield United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Topaz AI Sharpen results

Post by starfield »

I've been using it for a while. In earlier versions, it seemed to interject some weird artifacts into the smaller stars, but more recent versions don't seem to suffer from this as much. It's a nice tool to have in the toolkit and if you use it as part of a masked set of layers you can leave the stars untouched.
Scopes: Esprit 100, 12.5" Telekit Dob
Camera: 294 MC Pro, 224 mc, 2600mm
Guiding: ZWO 290 mini on 120mm guide scope
Mounts: EQ6R-Pro, EQ Platform.
Filters: Optolong L-Pro & L-Enhance, Chroma 36mm LRGB, 5nm HA, 3nm OIII, 3nm SII.
Software: SharpCap, SGP, StarTools 1.7, Photoshop, Pixinsight
The Death Star Observatory
Astro Photos:https://www.astrobin.com/users/starfield/
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Thanks!

I might have to look at this. I am impressed with Photoshop’s noise reduction in standard form being so easy to use and quite effective.
Thanks for sharing your experience!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

I too have this and I’ve mainly used it on planetary work. At times I have found hitting a happy medium with it problematic. I most likely need to invest a bit more time to it.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447