ASI2600MC flat problem

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

ASI2600MC flat problem

Post by SkyHiker »

I saved my lights in Ekos as lights, then saved my flats as flats then stacked them in DSS. Apparently when saving flats, the format is different. Clearly the flats were not applied but it looks like the whole debayering went wrong, the features seem to be twice the size as on the lights and shifted.

I am reading a lot of the same problems on CN in recent posts, but no clear answer.

Admitted, DSS tells me that it thinks it has to apply the Canon 350D DSLR format to my flats but I don't see a choice for ASI2600MC in the pulldown. So clearly there is a mistake.

I suppose I could have avoided the problem by not telling Ekos that I was taking flats and simply save it as color just like I always used to. Now it saves it as gray scale images with a weird pattern, each 4th pixel is bright.

Has anyone encountered this, and what is the cure?
m51_flat_gimp.jpg
m51_dss.jpg
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: ASI2600MC flat problem

Post by SkyHiker »

I unchecked the DSLR checkbox in DSS that tells it what to do for gray scale images, that could simply be it. Re-stacking the whole bunch, I will keep you posted...

BTW that's pretty severe vignetting, and the collimation is off, or at least the illumination - maybe the secondary is not quite square with the focuser. I haven't touched that part yet.

The Paracorr 2 seems to be doing OK though, so I see some good sides. It will all work out, just getting to know this camera.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1044

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

SkyHiker wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:47 pm I unchecked the DSLR checkbox in DSS that tells it what to do for gray scale images, that could simply be it. Re-stacking the whole bunch, I will keep you posted...

BTW that's pretty severe vignetting, and the collimation is off, or at least the illumination - maybe the secondary is not quite square with the focuser. I haven't touched that part yet.

The Paracorr 2 seems to be doing OK though, so I see some good sides. It will all work out, just getting to know this camera.
I think you are on the right track with unchecking the DSLR box. Be sure to let us know if it works....
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

I believe you are correct about the secondary not being square to the focuser. based on that strange vignetting pattern.
Good luck with the other issue, I've never used DSS so not much help there.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

When I checked the FITS header of one light and one flat in Nebulosity I noticed there was a difference in focal length. I recalled that I found out during the session that I had used a focal length of 731 mm (of my Mak-Newt) while the 12" that I used had 1200 mm focal length, so I changed it during the session. If DSS is smart enough to correct for focal length, that could be the issue.

I tried again last night under windy circumstances without doing PA (I figured it was a worthless night anyway) so I got 41 subs with only 1 light that DSS would allow to stack, lol, and 22 flats. This time DSS had no trouble with it. So it looks like changing the focal length mid-session is a bad idea because it makes your FITS files inconsistent.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

SkyHiker wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:51 pm When I checked the FITS header of one light and one flat in Nebulosity I noticed there was a difference in focal length. I recalled that I found out during the session that I had used a focal length of 731 mm (of my Mak-Newt) while the 12" that I used had 1200 mm focal length, so I changed it during the session. If DSS is smart enough to correct for focal length, that could be the issue.

I tried again last night under windy circumstances without doing PA (I figured it was a worthless night anyway) so I got 41 subs with only 1 light that DSS would allow to stack, lol, and 22 flats. This time DSS had no trouble with it. So it looks like changing the focal length mid-session is a bad idea because it makes your FITS files inconsistent.
This argument turned out to be completely wrong. The difference between the two sessions is that I had used a nonzero offset with the series that failed. If you use a nonzero offset you must use bias frames or else the calibration will fail. The DSS people recommend taking bias frames, always. Although apparently you can get away without them sometimes (all the time for me with zero offset until now).