Screen calibration?

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Screen calibration?

Post by Larry 1969 »

So, I've posted a few images recently that I thought were decent, but after looking at them on different devices (my phone or my laptop) it seems they are pretty black and mucked up... My question is: How do I know what you all are seeing??? It looks good when I process it, but if you all see dark, mucked up images then something is wrong... Is there a way to calibrate my screen when processing so I know the image is correct?

Thanks!

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Screen calibration?

Post by Greenman »

Hi Larry,

The problem is we would all need to calibrate with the same device, you can calibrate screens this is done in art houses and 3D/film studios. Most commonly they calibrate with a gizmo called the spider going from monitor to monitor and setting the same colour response. Other than that there is no way to do this in such a diverse group. Sorry but we will all have the same issue.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Thanks Greenman. I suppose that makes sense...
It would be nice to know exactly what you guys are seeing though...

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

If you are running Windows 10 there is a built-in screen calibration process you can go through. It relies on your eye too much, and on display drivers that allow you to adjust brightness and contrast, which are not always easy to find in a laptop.

It may get you closer to seeing what others see - I have been fighting with it on my newest laptop since I brought it home.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Larry,

This is a problem for many folks (me included). Like Bob, I also use Windows calibration tool. It is subjective, but gets somewhere close.
I would think the best way, is to purchase a calibration tool like the Datacolor Spyder X pro to properly calibrate the monitor.
I might do that eventually, but this is what has worked for me so far (gets me close).
I have an ipad that I feel is pretty close to a good balance (I have several Apple devices and they all compare well).
So, for me, I have set my ipad as my standard. After using the Windows 10 monitor calibration tool, I pull a well colored astro image up on my ipad and set it next to my pc monitor. I then make small tweaks to my monitor’s color settings to get the two as close as possible. Still not perfect, and very crude,but this works for me.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
FRAZ
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by FRAZ »

I print a lot of labels and need good reproduction for the inks the damn thing uses. Also google printerevaluationimage for the best image for colour comparison if you are also calibrating your printer with your monitor.

Spyder x pro does it for me. If you are lucky enough to have a number of friends who can use it then it is a good idea to share it around. Do not use the software that comes with the spyder would be my advice but instead use Displaycal. Look it up, it takes much longer but colour representation is much better.

I believe the technical capability of the hardware is the same on the spyder's so don't be tempted by premium versions as you are paying for the software which you won't be using anyway.
Mentored by Keith, Mike, John and Bill. (The old guard) and forever grateful.
PST mod stage 2 - Quark on extended loan and yet to repay with value ;)
Camera- ASi 174 mono no tilt required.
BF10,15,30 straight through with baader ffc. (looking to replace the rusted IFT on 10 + 15 with a maier replacement)
Lots of nighttime scopes and stuff but focus on the sun.
FRAZ
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by FRAZ »

https://www.rtings.com/printer/tests/pr ... ng-quality

Plain text so you can copy and paste.

This is a good example of the calibration print and some methods for evaluating it, It was intended for printers but you should be able to just evaluate the image on screen to ensure you are seeing a good baseline.
Mentored by Keith, Mike, John and Bill. (The old guard) and forever grateful.
PST mod stage 2 - Quark on extended loan and yet to repay with value ;)
Camera- ASi 174 mono no tilt required.
BF10,15,30 straight through with baader ffc. (looking to replace the rusted IFT on 10 + 15 with a maier replacement)
Lots of nighttime scopes and stuff but focus on the sun.