Rgb Bayer osc flter?

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
ruthlessaz
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Rgb Bayer osc flter?

Post by ruthlessaz »

I know this may be a dumb question.....but is there a "one shot color" filter out there, for monochrome cameras? Just curious.

Thanks

Adam
Asi 1600 mm-c, rebel t2i stock.
Astrodon Ha filter, ZWO lrgb, oiii, sii filters 36mm unmounted filters.
ES ED80, sigma 85mm F2.8, canon kit lenses
Atlas eq-g
Bortle 6 backyard, on a wooden 2nd story deck
ram United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Rgb Bayer osc flter?

Post by ram »

I don't how that would work exactly but there is a way to convert mono images to RGB and calibrate them using some kind of colour calibration to a reference image. For instance, PI's Photometric Color Calibration might do something like that.

--Ram
Tubes: Celestron 9.25" 235mm f/10 XLT EdgeHD SCT; Meade ETX 80mm f/5 achromat; Coronado SolarMax II 60mm f/6.6 Hα <0.7Å BF10 solar; Stellarvue 70mm f/6 triplet apochromat; Obsession UC18 457mm f/4.2 with Argo Navis & ServoCAT; Takahashi FS128 5" f/8.1 and FC100DF 4" f/7.4 fluorite doublet apochromats. Mounts: AVX; LXD75; Paramount MyT. Eyepieces: 2" Tele Vue Ethos 4.7/13/21mm, Paracorr, 2,4x Powermate; Stellarvue 0.8x, Takahashi 0.7x, 0.66x reducer/corrector. Cameras: ZWO ASI120MC-S; Lodestar X2c; X2m; Canon T7i; QHY163M; QHY247C; QHY294M-Pro. Filters: 1.25" Astrodon 5nm Ha, 3nm O3 and S2; Chroma LRGB.
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

The problem with converting a mono camera to OSC via a filter is that the individual pixel filters have to be perfectly matched to the pixel sensors. The only way that can happen is to have the filter in physical contact with the sensor. The alignment of colours to pixels must be perfect. Pixel sizes on typical sensors are in the order of 3-6 um, so the alignment of the filter would have to be more accurate than that. That is a lot to ask for an add-on filter.

It would likely be easier and cheaper, and certainly more do-able, to just buy another camera that is made as OSC at the factory.

Or get a filter wheel and do regular RGB processing.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
ruthlessaz
Earth Ambassador

Post by ruthlessaz »

Thank you for the help here, I figured as much. I have a 1600 mobo, with filters, but I feel it's time consuming etc. Maybe thinking if one day getting a osc
Asi 1600 mm-c, rebel t2i stock.
Astrodon Ha filter, ZWO lrgb, oiii, sii filters 36mm unmounted filters.
ES ED80, sigma 85mm F2.8, canon kit lenses
Atlas eq-g
Bortle 6 backyard, on a wooden 2nd story deck