Nebulosity 4 crashing on curves and hue

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Nebulosity 4 crashing on curves and hue

Post by Ben Cartwright SASS »

I have been using Nebulosity 4 for several years for all my processing and getting good results, then the Hue/Saturation slider stopped working and I tried to contact them, they don't get back to you at all.   I added StarTool7 to my workflow and am very happy with it, more complicated than Neb4 but cheaper and less complicated than Pixinsight.
This weekend I down loaded Quicktime to try to fix a file and now suddenly the Curves on Nebulosity don't work.  I can still stack and get ok results but not what I used to be able to do.

THE PROBLEM with Nebulosity is that Craig Stark who wrote it and moved on to other projects and hasn't updated or answered any help requests since 2016!  It is basically a dead program. 

I am thinking I should look into Pixinsight again, I had tried it a couple years ago and it does work.

I don't need an imaging program as I get my raw fits files from SLOOH already calibrated. I can still at this time use Neb4 for stacking and am currently dumping the file into StarTools.

I am wondering if I should really learn StarTools or look for another program. I liked Neb4 for its simplicity but giving good images.

What are other programs people are using?
I might not always be right but I am never wrong, once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken...

Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #59
Free advice is seldom cheap

"Sometimes having is not so pleasing as wanting, it's not logical but it is true"
Commander Spock

Canon DSLR's R7, R6II, 5D, 7D2, 90D 21 lenses incl. 100-400L mk ii, 70-200L mk iii f/2.8, RF600/11
Lunt LS50 DS, LS80 DS, Lunt 102ED, Stellarvue SV80 APO, Orion ST80, 127 MAK, Skywatcher Evostar 120ED, 102 MAK, Celestron 8" Edge HD, 102AZ
Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
ZWO ASI071MC-cool, ASI174mm, ASI174mm-cool, ASI178MC-cool, ASI290 mini, ASI120MM-S, ASI120MC Revolution Player One mm (178 chip)
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Nebulosity 4 crashing on curves and hue

Post by Star Dad »

I have used both programs for a long time now. I do pre-processing in Neb and post in StarTools. I've been wondering about the aging Neb program, but I haven't had any problems with it. <fingers-crossed> I really wish PI was not so expensive - methinks that the basic economics course I took in college should apply - that is - as cost goes down sales increase - until at some point it doesn't. PI could sell a *lot* more if they'd be a much more reasonable on the pricing. But I am happy with ST - not too sure about the latest update - I'm still trying to get used to it's functions and testing various features. There is now online help - if you haven't noticed - in the latest version (7) that does try to explain what the various settings do.

Love the Ferengi rule! :D
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I figured out the curves anyway, I have to run it in Win 7 Compatibility mode and then that works. Hue is due to a new video card not being supported as they are not doing any development on the program at all.

I downloaded APP, Astro Pixel Processor a 60 day free trial and tried one image today and am impressed with the registration and stacking so far and the final image touched up in PS came out with nice fine detail.

I might not always be right but I am never wrong, once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken...

"Sometimes having is not so pleasing as wanting, it's not logical but it is true"
Commander Spock

Canon DSLR's R7, R6II, 5D, 7D2, 90D 21 lenses incl. 100-400L mk ii, 70-200L mk iii f/2.8, RF600/11
Lunt LS50 DS, LS80 DS, Lunt 102ED, Stellarvue SV80 APO, Orion ST80, 127 MAK, Skywatcher Evostar 120ED, 102 MAK, Celestron 8" Edge HD, 102AZ
Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
ZWO ASI071MC-cool, ASI174mm, ASI174mm-cool, ASI178MC-cool, ASI290 mini, ASI120MM-S, ASI120MC Revolution Player One mm (178 chip)
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

I wonder if you could put up the same image processed in StarTools - to compare the two. I am running Win7 and hoping to wait for the next windows OS before upgrading. I feel that I've gotten my money's worth out of Win 7 but upgrading will probably be painful - so I want to skip Win 10, if possible - and that will affect a lot more than just AP.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I will try to find similar images, I have been using Neb4 and often followed by StarTools, and now trying APP Astro Pixel Processor finished in PS. I like the stacking in APP, easier than Neb4, am working on M63 and finally got an image I like the color on.

APP/LR/PS

Commander Spock

Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro