Solar: Using HDR techniques for B/W images

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Solar: Using HDR techniques for B/W images

Post by Lowjiber »

When I was learning to process solar images a few years ago, the big "thing" at the time was High Dynamic Range (HDR). While I was just a rookie, some of the masters were experimenting with it and I just went along for the ride.:)

The problem with a solar image is that often the histogram is not fully spread across the entire range (0-255)... Thus the contrast across the details is not fully optimized. HDR "toning" was primarily suited for color photographs, but today applications like Photoshop and Lightroom have evolved to the point that a color "photograph" can be infinitely adjusted and the technique has fallen out of favor.

That said, solar imagers generally do not shoot in color. Color is only applied after the monochrome image has been processed. Nonetheless, there is still that lingering lack of histogram range present. Yes, one can apply overall contrast adjustments to make the image appear sharper, but the finer details often suffer and the result is often unrealistic. Applying some old HDR techniques can really make a difference. This takes some practice, but here's a way to get started using nothing but Photoshop...

Before you read further, let me show you the end result. Here is an image that I posted yesterday of a couple of active regions...
AR2792 and AR2793 Dec 15th 2020.jpg
Not bad. However, here is the same image after applying HDR techniques...
2792 and 2793 HDR.jpg

We are going to start with an image that you have already processed... Make that your Background layer. Next make a Background copy and convert it to a Smart Object.

With the Background copy selected, change its Blend Mode to Linear Light; set the Opacity to 50% and the Fill to 25%. Double-click the right side of the layer to open the Blend Options panel. Since we primarily want to affect the mid-tones, we'll set that panel like this...
BLEND OPTIONS PANEL.jpg

Now just two more steps...

With the Background copy highlighted, open the Camera Raw Filter. Under the Basic adjustment section, make the following changes... Contrast +50, Highlights -100, Shadows +100, Whites -100, Blacks +100, Texture +70, Clarity +30, and Dehaze +35. Click OK to close Camera Raw.

The last step is optional, but can be handy. We're going to apply a Curves adjustment layer. Since we're working with a Smart Object, go to Image>Adjustments and select Curves. This will place the Curves adjustment under the Smart Object, again to allow you to tweak it if needed. We're going to very slightly darken the darks and the lights as shown here...
CURVES ADJUSTMENT LAYER.jpg

Now you are done adding adjustments to your Smart Object. Before continuing, here is what your layer stack should look like...
LAYERS PANEL.jpg

There are two sliders in your Background copy that will enable you to adjust the effects created... Fill and Opacity. We initially set them to just get everything else set up below. The Fill slider adjusts the intensity of all the layers below the Smart Object, and Opacity dictates the amount that the layer is applied to your original Background layer. It's sort of a balancing act, but a little experimentation will soon get everything how you like it.:)

Lastly, just flatten the image and it's ready for showtime.:) I hope this proves helpful in the future.

Again... Before:
AR2792 and AR2793 Dec 15th 2020.jpg
After:
2792 and 2793 HDR.jpg
Clear Skies
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Solar: Using HDR techniques for B/W images

Post by messier 111 »

thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada: