Isolating a bright star

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Isolating a bright star

Post by KathyNS »

In my image of the Gamma Cass Nebula (IC 63), I did a lot of work to control the bright star. My technique was to create three separate images from the source Ha luminance layer: one each for nebula, regular stars, and bright star. This worked because the bright star did not overlap the nebula. It would not have worked otherwise. Stretching the nebula in the entire image would have blown out the bright star, because the bright parts of the nebula are brighter than much of the star's halo. Separating the parts was the only way to stretch the nebula without blowing out the star.

Original image. This is a simple STF stretch of the Ha stack, so you can see what I was working on.
Ha-master.jpg
All the steps below were performed after doing a Masked Stretch of the image.

Step 1 was to isolate the regular stars, using Starnet.
- Clone the image.
- Use Starnet on the clone to create a starless version.
- Use PixelMath to subtract the starless image from the original, leaving a stars-only image.

This is the stars-only image, after some star-reduction with Morphological Transformation.
Ha_stars_only.jpg
Sorry, I did not do an intermediate save of the starless image. It has the nebula and most of the bright star, including its halo and diffraction spikes.

Step 2, setting up the extraction:
I then created a PixelMath function that would extract the star only. The expression I used was:
$T*iif(sqrt((x()-2428)^2+(y()-2044)^2)<300,1,1-(sqrt((x()-2428)^2+(y()-2044)^2)-300)/330)
(2428, 2044) are the (x,y) coordinates of the centre of the star. 300 is the radius of the centre part where I wanted 100% extraction. There is a transition zone 330 pixels wide (i.e. total radius = 300+330 = 660 pixels) from 100% extraction to 0% extraction.

This is the result of the extraction, when the above formula was applied to the starless image:
Ha_gamma_cass_only.jpg
Step 3, performing the extraction:
Subtracting this from the stars-only image (PixelMath again) left a nebula-only image:
Ha_nebula_only.jpg
(This copy of the image has already been stretched.)

Step 4, stretching the nebula:
The key to avoiding artifacts at the circular "hole" where the star was is to identify where on the histogram the transition occurs between the nebula image and the star image. Here is the Curves control:
Curves.jpg
Note that "Track View" is selected, so the histogram is displayed on the graph.

Since the peak of the histogram represents the background, the "toe" to the left of the peak represents the part that is darker than the background, namely the "hole" left by the star and its transition to the background. The nebula lies to the right of the peak.

To avoid changing the transition, I pinned levels for the hole and the background by defininging two points on the 45-degree straight line, at the left and right of the peak. I could then raise the rest of the curve, brightening the nebula, without affecting the transition area. The nebula-only image above is the result of this stretch.

I deliberately did not stretch the star at all. That was the point of isolating it from the nebula.

Step 5: recombining:
Because the separations were performed by subtraction, recombining them is a simple PixelMath addition. The result is shown below.
Ha_recombined.jpg
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Isolating a bright star

Post by messier 111 »

you have very well mastered this photo, thx.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

nice, made a book mark of your post :)
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Thanks for the explanation Kathy

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Thanks and nice work Kathy!

I am just scratching the surface of PI right now and I am only familiar with the terms but little experience in practice.
I have also bookmarked this post.

Fine job taming that beast!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Clever PixelMath expression Kathy. Nice job.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Stuart United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Stuart »

That's a super interesting technique. Thanks Kathy.
Personal equipment: TEC 140 F7 on Astro-Physics Mach 1 mount. Camera QSI 683ws7. Guide with Vario guiding scope
Shared equipment through Star Shadows Remote Observatory through PROMPT/ CTIO/Chile 16" RCOS 16803 chip
Shared equipment through San Diego Astronomy Society 14" RC with 16803 chip on a paramount
Software (for my stuff) PemPRO, SGP, PHD, Focus Boss, ASCOM, and Pixinsight on the other end.
astroimagery Great Britain
Earth Ambassador

Post by astroimagery »

I use starXterminator and have found it to be much better than the other programs I've tried. It is not perfect when up against an extremely bright star but you can run it and manually brush over any parts left over before continuing with processing.
Tycho65 Great Britain
Earth Ambassador

Post by Tycho65 »

astroimagery wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:37 pm I use starXterminator and have found it to be much better than the other programs I've tried. It is not perfect when up against an extremely bright star but you can run it and manually brush over any parts left over before continuing with processing.
I think I would find it uncomfortable to use Starexteminator like this. I mean it is like just clicking a button on a photo and get a result, it is only a step further before AI will acquire, organise, stack,process and export a final photo for you, all by a click of a button.