Resizing a cropped solar capture.

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Resizing a cropped solar capture.

Post by Lowjiber »

Recently, there has been some discussion regarding some of the methods used to crop a particular feature from a capture (zoom-in comes to mind) and process it for the web. (If you're bored already, just hang up and no one will be the wiser.:)) That's not all that difficult, but comes with a price... Often the crop will be overly small for posting on the web, or even in an album to show your friends.

I normally capture at 1952 x 1232 pixels. Here's a single-frame from an unstacked image I caught yesterday...
SINGLE FRAME EXAMPLE.jpg

If I wanted to crop all but the area around those sunspots after stacking, I'd end up with an image that was a bit too small... 584 x 554 pixels. I'm looking for something about double that size for the web.:) One of the ways to double, or even triple, the size of your image is during the stacking process in AutoStakkert!3. By using the "Advanced Settings you can increase the size by 1.5x, 2.0x, or 3.0x. Here's a little table that shows the various stack sizes based on our example.
TABLE SCREENSHOT.jpg
It works! However, the downside is that not only does it take longer to process in AS!3, but there is some noise that comes along with the process.

The method that I've come to rely upon is to use Gigapixel AI by Topaz Labs. The application allows the user any range of resizing from 0.5x to 6.0x and everything in between. It also lets you crop within the process and contains an adjustable Noise Reduction slider. Here's a screen shot of my original image above that I cropped and doubled the size within Gigapixel...
GIGAPIXEL AI SCREENSHOT.jpg
Easy!

Lastly, here's the completed image... Seeing was really bad (3.5/5)
AR2778 and AR2779 UP CLOSE.jpg
Final image size: 1000 x 949 pixels.

It's so simple that I can do it.:lol:

If you got this far, I thank you for your time.

Clear Skies & Stay Safe
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
Michael131313 Mexico
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Resizing a cropped solar capture.

Post by Michael131313 »

I am not an AP person, but I really appreciate your efforts and posts. Thanks very much.
ES AR 102 102mm, f/6.5, ES 254mm f/5 DOB, Obie 10x50, GSO SV 30mm, ES 68° 20mm, ES 82° 14mm, 11mm, 8.8 mm, 6.8mm, 4.7mm. Twilight 1 mount.
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Nice 👍
Everyone is so talented around here 😊

(I just noticed they sell Polaroid film cameras at Target)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

John, once again, that is awesome! I'm going to try Gigapixel AI at one point this weekend, and also send you a couple TIFF's from the past few months into your Dropbox; yes I got that, just been a little crazy around here.

Stunning results, well done and all the best to you and Dana. TTYS.
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Thefatkitty wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:04 am ... and also send you a couple TIFF's from the past few months into your Dropbox
Mark, let me know if you have any trouble getting into the box. They sent me a confirmation email, but don't know if they sent you the details. We'll have some fun.
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

Hey John that's a sweet image and a very useful walk through re-sizing.
The Sun is already in a difficult position for me to image and the weather has been horrible for some time now.
I'm hoping to have my first bout of surgery in a few weeks so I probably won't be contributing much for a while.
Keith