Making flats in PixInsight

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Making flats in PixInsight

Post by KathyNS »

I installed my brand-new Oiii filter into the filter wheel. (Yay!!) But, having opened the filter wheel, and having disassembled my imaging train to do it, I need new flats. It has been a while since I made flats, during which time I have forgotten how, and PixInsight has changed.

I thought that, the last time I made flats, I just pointed to the individual flat files in BPP, and it generated master flats along with master lights. But it wasn't happy doing that today. It complained that the exposure times of the flats and lights didn't match. WTH?? Since when are flats exposure time-dependent?

How do you make master flats in PI? I have a set of flat frames that I made today, with all kinds of weird exposure times, as recommended by SGP's Flats Calibration Wizard, and at no particular temperature.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Making flats in PixInsight

Post by STEVE333 »

Hi Kathy - It looks like your sensor is a CCD - very nice.

I believe that CCD's use Bias, Flat, and Dark frames for calibration. If that is true then:
Put your Bias frames in the Bias tab of BPP.
Put your Flat frames in the Flats tab of BPP.
Make sure the Use master bias and Use master dark checkboxes are unchecked.
Then specify the output directory and click Run.

I think that will create your MasterFlats for you.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

Thanks.

I was doing it right, then. I investigated further and found that I had forgotten to specify the filters for my flats session in SGP. D'oh! :joking: Re-running SGP now.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Good news. Hope the flats turn out well. Sooooooo many thinks to remember and apply.

Cheers
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

They turned out fine, thanks. My M-2 image was calibrated using them.