The effects of dew?

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: The effects of dew?

Post by Star Dad »

Oh, yeah - I remember reading that one. I've ordered the resistance wire, controllers, and high heat silicon glue. Let you all know what comes of it once it arrives and I give it a try. Experimenting is sooo much fun. :)
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

Here's some pics of my DIY dew/frost heaters. First light with these puppies it frosted - severely. MY OTA was completely covered in ice and these heaters kept my secondary mirror and sighting scope/guiding camera frost free! Normally I would have been forced to stop imaging about 11PM but I was able to keep going all night.
IMG_6709.JPG
I used an RCA connector soldered to 28 gauge nichrome wire of about five inches in 2 loops for a total of about 20 inches. It is wrapped in heavy duty duct tape and taped around the central "core" that holds the secondary mirror. It does not actually touch the mirror itself.
IMG_6710.JPG
The 12-24V dimmer switch makes it a not worry situation of over heating the elements. Being adjustable you can vary the voltage (well, actually the resistance) and thus regulate the heat. I think 20" of nichrome was too much as I had the dimmer almost maxed out (near zero resistance). If/when I make a replacement I'll cut the length in half - but I was worried that it would get too hot.
IMG_6711.JPG
This bit is now 1 - 5 inch loop (10 inch total length), I put "velcro" aka hook and loop tape to adjust the size for 1.25 and 2" lenses. I can fit over my sighting scope as well. You can feel the heat in the design and so the dimmer becomes much more important.

I will use primarily AC/DC converters (rated at least .8Amps) for AP. In the field I bought two 15A fused 12Volt (car lighter style) connectors to attache to the dimmers instead of the AC/DC convertors. Total cost for three of the guys is about $30. And I still have at least 90 feet of nichrome left over. I will use the third dimmer to make a heater for my primary mirror - which has only frosted once, but which has dewed up a couple of times.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Nice job!

I just got through putting dew heats in my Newt. But not 'home brewed' like yours. I like the ingenuity!
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro