Absolutely Horrible Images!

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Absolutely Horrible Images!

Post by Larry 1969 »

Good day all!
I'm not even sure where to begin with this...
I had a pretty bad session on The Deer Lick Group several weeks ago, then my next time out I managed a nice session on The West Veil.
Then the next few were very poor and all of the poor sessions had similar results. Super grainy with colors all over the place...
I've tried new calibration frames and even no calibration frames and the results are horrible...

I'm trying to rule out a faulty camera but my viewing conditions haven't been too great either so I was wondering what the effect of smoke
in the upper atmosphere could have on my images. California is plagued with wild fires right now and, even though I'm 3,000 miles away,
I can see the effect during the day. I try not to image if it looks really bad but sometimes it's hard to tell...

This is a stacked image of M33. No calibration frames and run through StarTools with my usual workflow right after the "wipe" module. :shock:
Screenshot (1).png
Here is the same image with calibration frames and exact same processing.
Screenshot (3).png
I appears that my calibration frames help but something is horribly wrong!!!

Any ideas? Thanks!

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Re: Absolutely Horrible Images!

Post by Lady Fraktor »

You have managed to get a lot of detail in there regardless.
If it helps, no matter how bad you think it is you can always tell yourself that it is better than anything I have ever taken :D
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:52 pm You have managed to get a lot of detail in there regardless.
If it helps, no matter how bad you think it is you can always tell yourself that it is better than anything I have ever taken :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Larry, if you're still using 1.4 version of StarTools, it's time to upgrade. All my wipes used to look like that, just more orange, one of the joys of shooting in a high-LP area. With version 1.6 and the ROI feature of Autodev, everything changes for the better.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Thanks Bob!
Already using 1.6 and auto-dev with ROI...

Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Pretty good... considering the smoke. I just checked the smoke coverage from five minutes ago and you're in deep doodo.

Thanks for the share.:)

Clear Skies & Stay Safe
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Lowjiber wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:48 pm Pretty good... considering the smoke. I just checked the smoke coverage from five minutes ago and you're in deep doodo.

Thanks for the share.:)

Clear Skies & Stay Safe
Thanks!
Are you using astrospheric.com?
Their "smoke" layer is labeled "experimental" and it's just a forecast... Not sure how accurate it is but it looked good on the night in question...

Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Interesting - sorry I haven't had any useful suggestions here. FWIW my flow usually starts with AutoDev taking all defaults, Crop to remove any stacking artifacts and clean up the edges after dithering all night, Wipe, and then AutoDev with ROI specified.

Two questions, what are you using for stacking, and what option do you choose for the image when you first open it in StarTools? We'll get to the bottom of this one way or another :)

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Larry 1969 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:07 am Are you using astrospheric.com?
Their "smoke" layer is labeled "experimental" and it's just a forecast... Not sure how accurate it is but it looked good on the night in question...
Larry, I'm using this: https://fire.airnow.gov

Living in Vegas, I'm not far from the many fires in California and have found it to be pretty accurate and up to date. If one "allows" the app to geo-locate their position, it will center the data around the location. I can then just zoom-out to see the rest of the country... Even Europe.

Clear Skies & Stay Save
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

bobharmony wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:38 am Interesting - sorry I haven't had any useful suggestions here. FWIW my flow usually starts with AutoDev taking all defaults, Crop to remove any stacking artifacts and clean up the edges after dithering all night, Wipe, and then AutoDev with ROI specified.

Two questions, what are you using for stacking, and what option do you choose for the image when you first open it in StarTools? We'll get to the bottom of this one way or another :)

Bob
Thanks Bob!
I'm using pretty much the same workflow as you except I bin 50% after the first AutoDev. I load the image with the center option "something about Linear from OSC" and I use DSS for stacking. I don't believe it's a processing issue but rather a poor data issue...

Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Larry 1969 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:56 pm
Thanks Bob!
I'm using pretty much the same workflow as you except I bin 50% after the first AutoDev. I load the image with the center option "something about Linear from OSC" and I use DSS for stacking. I don't believe it's a processing issue but rather a poor data issue...

Larry
That is the same option I use in StarTools. It assumes there was no manipulation of the white balance in the stacking software. In DSS that means none of the calibration is turned on in the stacking settings and the box that specifies "no white balance" (or words to that effect) is checked in the RAW settings.

If you continue with processing from the Wipe, what does your final image look like? At the point of the Wipe I find the color to be quite off, usually with a lot of green. The next steps in my process work on the luminance data, and when I get to Color things usually work themselves out.

Worst case if Color module doesn't clear things up, you may want to select the "Linear" option when opening the file and see if that makes a difference.

Bob

Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

bobharmony wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:59 pm That is the same option I use in StarTools. It assumes there was no manipulation of the white balance in the stacking software. In DSS that means none of the calibration is turned on in the stacking settings and the box that specifies "no white balance" (or words to that effect) is checked in the RAW settings.

If you continue with processing from the Wipe, what does your final image look like? At the point of the Wipe I find the color to be quite off, usually with a lot of green. The next steps in my process work on the luminance data, and when I get to Color things usually work themselves out.

Worst case if Color module doesn't clear things up, you may want to select the "Linear" option when opening the file and see if that makes a difference.

Bob
By the time I get to the "color" module things are usually pretty good. All I normally do there is hit "Legacy" and no changes are needed.
This is just terrible and it's not just one screwy session... There have been several but not consecutive... One nice session followed by two bad ones then two good ones... Really hoping it's an atmospheric condition and not equipment related...

I'll finish it out and post the result. It was so poor I deleted it...

Thanks again Bob!

Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Here's a roughly processed image converted to jpg...
Attachments
Autosave.jpg
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Larry, did you use the slider to remove green in the Color module? Knocking down the green and doing a more concerted job on the process might net some good results. You got some of the finer detail of M33 showing already.

If you are interested, maybe you could submit your stacked image to the AP Challenge to see what people can do with it. I think there may be more here than you expect.

Bob

Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Honestly, I didn't spend much time on it.
I may be able to work out a better image but why would, all of a sudden, I have to change my entire workflow?
Between the clouds and smoke, this is frustrating...

Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Frustrating? Welcome to the wonderful world of AP ;)

One hard lesson I've learned over several years of doing this is that every image needs a little tweak to get the most out of it. Yes we try to start with a basic workflow and that gets us most of the way there. But each night is a little different in seeing, transparency, how well tracking works, etc., and requires a personal touch.

In this case shooting through smoke is another variable to deal with, one that may require a bit of special handling. I dealt with the really smoky nights here by staying in, but that just adds another level of frustration, missing out on a Moonless night with no clouds.

In any case, I'm guessing therre is more buried in your data than is apparent so far. One of my favorite things is to wring as much as I can out of any nights data (some would say I go too far with this).

I'd suggest starting with your normal flow with the calibrated data. Once you get past the ugly wipe phase, hit it with some HDR, then a touch of deconvolution and maybe some sharpening while you've got the inverse star mask loaded. Then take it to the Color module and see what's there. Run through Life, then denoise. My guess is you will be pleasantly surprised.

If it was easy to do AP even Lady Fractor would jump on the bandwagon (see what I mean by me going too far). Give it a go, Larry, it'll be a learning experience for all of us.

Bob

Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Funny thing is what you described is pretty much my usual workflow... :lol:
I use decon before HDR then sharpen then contrast then color then life and finally denoise...
My (very limited) processing experience tells me there is no good way to clean up poor data but I don't suppose it could hurt to try...

Thanks again!

Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Hi Larry - Did you ever find the cause of your "horrible" images?

I hope so.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Hi Steve.
I did not... I'm really hoping it was the smoke from the fires.
I haven't had a clear night since. It's looking like Monday night might be my chance.
I've just never had my background turn out completely red before and I don't see how smoke would cause that...

Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Larry 1969 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:19 pm Hi Steve.
I did not... I'm really hoping it was the smoke from the fires.
I haven't had a clear night since. It's looking like Monday night might be my chance.
I've just never had my background turn out completely red before and I don't see how smoke would cause that...

Larry

I hope it was just the smoke for whatever reason. It is so alarming when something "new" happens to our images after everything has been working fine. Is it the smoke? Is it the camera? Is is my processing? Is it going to cost a lot of $$$ to fix? Is it .........?

Here's hoping your next image turns out fine.

Cheers - Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures