Wizard Reprocess with Pixinsight MureDenoise - #2

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Wizard Reprocess with Pixinsight MureDenoise - #2

Post by KathyNS »

Seeing this thread, I decided to try Mure Denoise. The first thing I learned was that running with the wrong Detector settings made the noise worse. So I upgraded my copy of PI so that I'd have the Mure Denoise Detector Settings script. I ran that and input the resulting values, and it at least stopped making the image worse.

However, I haven't seen it make any improvement. The best I can get is no change. My default initial noise reduction with MLT does a much better job.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Wizard Reprocess with Pixinsight MureDenoise - #2

Post by STEVE333 »

KathyNS wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:20 pm Seeing this thread, I decided to try Mure Denoise. The first thing I learned was that running with the wrong Detector settings made the noise worse. So I upgraded my copy of PI so that I'd have the Mure Denoise Detector Settings script. I ran that and input the resulting values, and it at least stopped making the image worse.

However, I haven't seen it make any improvement. The best I can get is no change. My default initial noise reduction with MLT does a much better job.

Hi Kathy - Like you I have always used MLT for the Linear noise reduction and find it does an excellent job.

When I first tried the MureDenoise script I found it to be tricky to get setup correctly. I tried the Mure Denoise Detector Settings script but it didn't give good results. Fortunately the ASI1600MM (the camera I use) manual contains the Read Noise and Dark Current Noise information as well as the Gain (e-/count) so I was able to calculate the proper values for Detector Gain and Gaussian noise. Once I had the proper values MureDenoise worked very well.

It is important that MureDenoise be applied to the "stacked" image before any other processes are used. Even ABE or DBE will prevent MureDenoise from working.

I hope this helps.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures