New Startools Alpha Version 1.7

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

New Startools Alpha Version 1.7

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Startools users!

Just in case you aren’t aware, Ivo has released a new stable Startools version 1.6.399.

There is also an exciting new alpha version 1.7.412.

As I always do, I bypassed the stable version and went with the alpha.

As usual with Startools, there are several different executables included with the package. There is a Windows 32-bit, Windows 64-bit, Windows 64-bit/GPU, macOS 64-bit/GPU, Linux 32-bit, Linux 64-bit, Linux 64-bit/GPU depending on your os and hardware.

I was excited to see the GPU accelerated executable and went for it immediately.

Of course, by their nature, alpha software versions are in the development phase and might not work with all systems (that’s why they are “alpha” versions). Unfortunately, there were issues with this executable and my graphics card (AMD RX-570). Launching the Windows 64-bit/GPU.exe crashed the application.

The 1.7 alpha version Windows64 executable worked perfectly with a new look and somewhat different presets.

I am going on 7 weeks of poor weather and I really wanted to try the GPU version, so I got on the Startools forum and reported the issue. Ivo got on it immediately. It took several days work, but he finally released alpha version 1.7.412 that works well with my graphics card.

If you are a Startools user and ready to try out this new and exiting version, give it a download. It is really good to see that Ivo has integrated the powerful GPU accelerated technology into the software.

With GPU acceleration, the software is snappier for sure. The biggest difference that I have seen is in the Deconvolution Module. For me, this module will run with default settings in less than ¼ of the time it takes with the non-GPU version. Re-running the module after a settings change takes literally seconds on my system.

I haven’t seen anything on the forum yet concerning this new Startools release and I wanted to pass along my experience.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: New Startools Alpha Version 1.7

Post by bobharmony »

Thanks for posting, Jim, and as always, thanks Ivo for continuing to evolve the tool! Nothing going here while the Moon cycles through its annoying bright phase, I may have to kick the tires on this :)

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

bobharmony wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:08 pm Thanks for posting, Jim, and as always, thanks Ivo for continuing to evolve the tool! Nothing going here while the Moon cycles through its annoying bright phase, I may have to kick the tires on this :)

Bob
The new alpha is version 1.7.412. I left out the “7” in the post above (corrected now).

The nice thing about ST is that it is that it is run within its own folder and you can have as many versions active as you want to keep.

If you do give the alpha a shot, please let me know your experience. Thanks Ivo [mention]startoolsastro[/mention] and thanks Bob [mention]bobharmony[/mention] !
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Thanks for the heads-up. I have the tool but recently changed computers and haven't loaded it. Will get back into it.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

I literally just installed 1.6.399 yesterday...
I'm digging it so far and was just going to make a post about some new techniques I was trying.

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C