I forgot to take flats...

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

I forgot to take flats...

Post by Baskevo »

Hi guys,

I'm on my way back from my camping trip and got about an hour per LRGB filter. However, we had to leave early and I disconnected everything before I could take flats.

There aren't any dust motes (from I can tell before stacking), so can I just reconnect my camera and take flats? Or does anyone have a good method for artificial flats?

I don't want to lose this data!

thanks guys
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: I forgot to take flats...

Post by KathyNS »

You have a couple of options.

You can re-shoot the flats. They won't be as good as flats shot at the time of the lights, and if there are dust spots, they could make them worse: you'd have some dark dust spots and some light dust spots. But worth a try if the spots you have aren't noticeable. Make sure that you assemble the gear exactly the way it was during the imaging session, paying particular attention to the orientation of the camera, filters, etc. Make sure, also, that you focus well on a target at infinity. If they work, great.

You could also try "synthetic flats". In your favourite processing software, make a duplicate layer of the stacked image. On the duplicate version, you basically blur all details out of existence. The goal is to create an image that is background only. This requires some care if the target occupies a large part of the image. (My first attempt, on M33, turned the process into a Romulan cloaking device: the galaxy disappeared! Don't do that!) If the target is large, you may want to remove it from the duplicate with a clone-stamp or similar tool. Leave the background intact. I blur the duplicate using first a point-spread function (in GIMP, I use Enhance / Noise / Spread), followed by a Gaussian Blur. For both functions, I specify a very large pixel distance: 200 pixels in most cases. Finally, set the mode of the duplicate to subtract from the original image. The resulting image will have the blurred background subtracted from it, which should remove any vignetting. You will have to tweak the result a bit, since the overall brightness will be reduced.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
XCalRocketMan United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by XCalRocketMan »

One other thing. Dust motes and stuff are sometimes not noticeable at all on a single sub. But once you stack and stretch, bingo.
Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Mounts AP1100GTO mount w/APCCpro; iOptron iEQ30 Pro; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Lenses Hyperstar-III; Celestron 0.7x FR; WO Flat/Reducer 0.8x
Guiding Celestron OAG w/ASI174mm mini; WO 50mm; Orion ST80
Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans
Software NINA; PHD; APT; BYE; PI; APP; PSP; Registax; FireCapture; SharpCap
Blog at: SkyAndRockets
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

Thanks for the advice guys. I will give new flats a try, and then I'll probably have to do the synthetic flats lol Thanks for the advice guys! wish me luck
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629