How to Download and Use starnet++

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

How to Download and Use starnet++

Post by STEVE333 »

I've had some very nice success using the new starnet++ program to remove stars from a stretched image. The following has worked for me"

I downloaded it from the link below which was provided by Geethq.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/starnet/

I found the following works:

1) After downloading, the files will be located in a folder named starnet. Don't forget to extract the files.
2) The program only works on 16 bit unsigned .tif files.
3) Save the file you wish to remove the stars from into the starnet folder (for example, FlamingStar.tif) in 16 bit unsigned format.
4) Open the Command Prompt.
- I typed C in the search box in the lower left corner of the Windows 10 home screen.
- In the popup window click on Command Prompt.
- In Command Prompt type cd\the path to the starnet folder\starnet (e.g., cd\Documents\starnet ) then hit enter.
- Type starnet++ OriginalFileName.tif StarlessFileName.tif where OriginalFileName is the name of the file you want to process.
EXAMPLE: starnet++ myimage.tif mystarlessimage.tif (notice that there are spaces between starnet++, myimage.tif, and mystarlessimage.tif.
- Once the filenames are typed in hit ENTER and wait till the processing is completer. Progress is shown as %done.

Then just wait until the Command Prompt says Done.
The resulting starless image will be located in the starnet folder.

Using PixInsight, I typically do sharpening (MLT), contrast enhancement (LHE), color saturation boosting with CurvesTransformation, and noise reduction (TGV) on the starless image. Your processing software and enhancement choices may be different.

Once the starless image is "enhanced" I use PixelMath to combine the starless and original image with the simple expression

max(original, starless)

Hope this makes sense.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: How to Download and Use starnet++

Post by Bigzmey »

At the first glance I thought the title says "How to Download and Use Skynet" (as in Terminator) :shock:
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

An example of how well Starnet++ can work is shown below. The first image is the original with stars. The second image is what came out of Starnet++.

ORIGINAL IMAGE
Hist_1.jpg

STARLESS IMAGE PRODUCED BY Starnet++
Hist_1Starless.jpg

Hope this helps.

Steve[/size]
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
madperk
Earth Ambassador

Post by madperk »

Thanks for the great post. I have fiddled with various methods of star subtraction, and this is so easy. I just used it in my latest image, and I am impressed with the results. I plan on reprocessing the image and using the tool much earlier in my workflow. I think the results will be a little better.
Cameras: Canon T3,6D Mark II
Telescopes: Explore Scientific ED80, ED102, Celestron C6
Lenses: Rokinon 24mm 1.4, Canon 70-200mm L, 17-40mm EF
EPs: lots of choices.
Mounts: CGEM, SkyGuide Pro
Accessories and DoDads: Too many.

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

madperk wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:32 pm Thanks for the great post. I have fiddled with various methods of star subtraction, and this is so easy. I just used it in my latest image, and I am impressed with the results. I plan on reprocessing the image and using the tool much earlier in my workflow. I think the results will be a little better.
Glad you are enjoying it "Mad".

I now have Starnet++ as a process module in PI. In this form I no longer have to change the files to 16 bit tiff files. Very convenient. Works just like any other module (HistogramTransformation, SCNR, etc.) in PI. I just stretch an image, select it, go to Process/All Processes/StarNet and then drag the process icon onto the image. Simple.

Steve
francis
Earth Ambassador

Post by francis »

Hi Steve,
This is a very good app to remove Stars. Can I limit the amount of Stars to remove by percentage using Starnet++ ?

Rgds,
Francis

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

francis wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:05 pm Hi Steve,
This is a very good app to remove Stars. Can I limit the amount of Stars to remove by percentage using Starnet++ ?

Rgds,
Francis
Hi Francis - I'm not aware of any settings to allow limiting which stars or what percentage are removed. You may be able to do it when you recombine the stars back into the starless image.

Have fun,

Steve
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Thanks for that Steve! One of the hardest parts of image processing I find is to get rid of the stars. In Gimp I use "erode" but after doing that 3x it starts to introduce artifacts. The trick to nice images is to not have the stars blow out so combining the stars in the original with a star-less separately processed background should work really well. Let me try it!
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

SkyHiker wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:52 pm Thanks for that Steve! One of the hardest parts of image processing I find is to get rid of the stars. In Gimp I use "erode" but after doing that 3x it starts to introduce artifacts. The trick to nice images is to not have the stars blow out so combining the stars in the original with a star-less separately processed background should work really well. Let me try it!
I should have tried it first, of course. It took me a while to figure out how to produce a 16-bit TIF but ImageMagick did it via an intermediate PNG conversion that let me set the bit depth to 16. This was on an image of the Eastern Veil.

I ran rgb-starnet++ on the 16-bit TIF, which took about an hour, and it sure removed the stars - as well as anything else! The whole output was pitch black. I did get a bunch of messages: "C:\Users\aling\Pictures\astro\Objects\Veil\Veil\veil6_16.tif: AdobeDeflate compression support is not configured.", but if it were a fatal problem I presume it would have stopped execution. There is also a possibility that the 16-bit TIF was signed, but I could not find any options in ImageMagick to select unsigned.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

SkyHiker wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:06 am
SkyHiker wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:52 pm Thanks for that Steve! One of the hardest parts of image processing I find is to get rid of the stars. In Gimp I use "erode" but after doing that 3x it starts to introduce artifacts. The trick to nice images is to not have the stars blow out so combining the stars in the original with a star-less separately processed background should work really well. Let me try it!
I should have tried it first, of course. It took me a while to figure out how to produce a 16-bit TIF but ImageMagick did it via an intermediate PNG conversion that let me set the bit depth to 16. This was on an image of the Eastern Veil.

I ran rgb-starnet++ on the 16-bit TIF, which took about an hour, and it sure removed the stars - as well as anything else! The whole output was pitch black. I did get a bunch of messages: "C:\Users\aling\Pictures\astro\Objects\Veil\Veil\veil6_16.tif: AdobeDeflate compression support is not configured.", but if it were a fatal problem I presume it would have stopped execution. There is also a possibility that the 16-bit TIF was signed, but I could not find any options in ImageMagick to select unsigned.
Success, finally and very good! What I had to do is load the ImageMagick-produced 16-bit TIF file back into Gimp, save it again and then the error messages went away. So here are the before and after (only a small section of the entire image, ignore the first one - I always get one image twice):
veil6_small.jpg
veil6_small.jpg
This is great! Saves me the cost of an expensive filter, and longer observation times. Thanks Steve!
Attachments
veil6_starnet_small.jpg
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Here's the result on the entire Eastern Veil. You can see some artifacts but in Gimp I can easily get rid of them. I am impressed, this will help me a great deal. In fact it will help many DSLR users who don't use filters a great deal.
veil6_starnet.jpg
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Sorry Steve it looks like I'm hijacking this thread but I'm stoked, and it is on topic. So here is the final result where I applied starnet++, cleaned it up using a mask, then added the stars back in that I processed separately. The result is much better than any of the ones I posted in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=3491
veil7_small.jpg
Thanks again!
Stuart United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Stuart »

Take 1 SHO.jpg
Here is an image that I have been working on. This is far from a final image, but I was just farting around with Starnet to see what I could get.
Personal equipment: TEC 140 F7 on Astro-Physics Mach 1 mount. Camera QSI 683ws7. Guide with Vario guiding scope
Shared equipment through Star Shadows Remote Observatory through PROMPT/ CTIO/Chile 16" RCOS 16803 chip
Shared equipment through San Diego Astronomy Society 14" RC with 16803 chip on a paramount
Software (for my stuff) PemPRO, SGP, PHD, Focus Boss, ASCOM, and Pixinsight on the other end.

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

SkyHiker wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:12 am Sorry Steve it looks like I'm hijacking this thread but I'm stoked, and it is on topic. So here is the final result where I applied starnet++, cleaned it up using a mask, then added the stars back in that I processed separately. The result is much better than any of the ones I posted in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=3491

veil7_small.jpg

Thanks again!
Glad it helped Henk - I use it for every image I process now.

Steve
jon.s Canada
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jon.s »

SkyHiker wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:39 am
SkyHiker wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:06 am I ran rgb-starnet++ on the 16-bit TIF, which took about an hour, and it sure removed the stars - as well as anything else! The whole output was pitch black. I did get a bunch of messages: "C:\Users\aling\Pictures\astro\Objects\Veil\Veil\veil6_16.tif: AdobeDeflate compression support is not configured.", but if it were a fatal problem I presume it would have stopped execution. There is also a possibility that the 16-bit TIF was signed, but I could not find any options in ImageMagick to select unsigned.
Success, finally and very good! What I had to do is load the ImageMagick-produced 16-bit TIF file back into Gimp, save it again and then the error messages went away. So here are the before and after (only a small section of the entire image, ignore the first one - I always get one image twice):
I ran into the same "AdobeDeflate compression support is not configured" error and also got a black output. I use photoshop and the solution is to select "None" compression instead of using the default of "ZIP" compression when saving the TIFF file. Starnet++ happily did its star removal magic afterwards.

Thought I should document this for posterity's sake.
Canon T4i (astro-modified), EOS R
Skywatcher Quattro 8 CF, Skywatcher Quattro CC, Canon 300 mm f/4L IS
iOptron GEM45, iOptron Skyguider Pro, QHY mini guide scope, ZWO 120 mini
STC Duo-Narrowband, Astronomik L2 UV/IR cut, Skytech Tri-band
Astro and terrestrial photography at https://www.instagram.com/jonathan.sau.photography
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Nice illustration of the process Steve and Henk, to be honest for me I’m still at the happy to see anything postable phase of imaging. I’m sure Starnet++ will be useful when I get to this stage of my journey.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

XCalRocketMan United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by XCalRocketMan »

I have had much success with using StarNet, although every now and then it is a little finicky. My process with NB imaging is to take my standard set of NB (whether it be SHO, HOO, ...) and then take a short bunch of short exposure RGB images. The NB stack is processed with Starnet. The RGB stack is then used to replace the missing NB stars with RGB stars. This prevents the purple stars effect if you try to use the original image for the star background.
Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Mounts AP1100GTO mount w/APCCpro; iOptron iEQ30 Pro; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Lenses Hyperstar-III; Celestron 0.7x FR; WO Flat/Reducer 0.8x
Guiding Celestron OAG w/ASI174mm mini; WO 50mm; Orion ST80
Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans
Software NINA; PHD; APT; BYE; PI; APP; PSP; Registax; FireCapture; SharpCap
Blog at: SkyAndRockets