My Favorite Deconvolution Tutorial for PixInsight

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

My Favorite Deconvolution Tutorial for PixInsight

Post by STEVE333 »

The link below is to my favorite Deconvolution tutorial. I find it easy to follow and it produces good results. Rather than selecting the PSF stars manually I use the newish script PSFImage from Hartmut Bornemann to select them automatically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97OyeSR76Fs

If you have a favorite please feel free to provide a link for us to share.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
ram United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: My Favorite Deconvolution Tutorial for PixInsight

Post by ram »

Thanks Steve! This is my only one: https://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tu ... tails.html - but I also now have modified it to use the PSFImage script as you advised me instead of picking all those stars myself as per this tutorial (still was instructive in telling me what goes one under the hood).

I'm not a big fan of using videos to learn (algebraic thinker) so prefer written tutorials but I do have your YouTube video as one of the things to check out and try out, next target.

(I've just now preprocessed my Ha, O3, S2 master lights for the starless technique again on sh2-132 - just about to start running starless on it but I did run deconvolution on all of them using the LVA tutorial instructions.)

But I'm going to try to get out tonight to capture some more IC1805 if clouds don't roll in...

--Ram
Tubes: Celestron 9.25" 235mm f/10 XLT EdgeHD SCT; Meade ETX 80mm f/5 achromat; Coronado SolarMax II 60mm f/6.6 Hα <0.7Å BF10 solar; Stellarvue 70mm f/6 triplet apochromat; Obsession UC18 457mm f/4.2 with Argo Navis & ServoCAT; Takahashi FS128 5" f/8.1 and FC100DF 4" f/7.4 fluorite doublet apochromats. Mounts: AVX; LXD75; Paramount MyT. Eyepieces: 2" Tele Vue Ethos 4.7/13/21mm, Paracorr, 2,4x Powermate; Stellarvue 0.8x, Takahashi 0.7x, 0.66x reducer/corrector. Cameras: ZWO ASI120MC-S; Lodestar X2c; X2m; Canon T7i; QHY163M; QHY247C; QHY294M-Pro. Filters: 1.25" Astrodon 5nm Ha, 3nm O3 and S2; Chroma LRGB.

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Thanks for the Light Vortex Astronomy tutorial Ram. I read through and it is pretty similar with a few small differences. I would think good results would be obtained with either one.

Steve
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
ram United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by ram »

I agree - the settings you sent me for your deconvolution were very similar. The primary difference is in the NR choices (gaussian vs. poisson, and # of layers, and layer param) I tried it both ways BTW, yours and the LVA (which I had also modified to make my layer 2 identical to yours) and I couldn't tell the difference visually.

--Ram
Tubes: Celestron 9.25" 235mm f/10 XLT EdgeHD SCT; Meade ETX 80mm f/5 achromat; Coronado SolarMax II 60mm f/6.6 Hα <0.7Å BF10 solar; Stellarvue 70mm f/6 triplet apochromat; Obsession UC18 457mm f/4.2 with Argo Navis & ServoCAT; Takahashi FS128 5" f/8.1 and FC100DF 4" f/7.4 fluorite doublet apochromats. Mounts: AVX; LXD75; Paramount MyT. Eyepieces: 2" Tele Vue Ethos 4.7/13/21mm, Paracorr, 2,4x Powermate; Stellarvue 0.8x, Takahashi 0.7x, 0.66x reducer/corrector. Cameras: ZWO ASI120MC-S; Lodestar X2c; X2m; Canon T7i; QHY163M; QHY247C; QHY294M-Pro. Filters: 1.25" Astrodon 5nm Ha, 3nm O3 and S2; Chroma LRGB.
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

Clicking on 50 stars is such a pain haha, I'll give the script a go.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

yobbo89 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:21 am Clicking on 50 stars is such a pain haha, I'll give the script a go.

Hi yobbo - I actually had to click on a lot more than 50 stars when I did it manually. There are requirements for a star to "qualify" and, with my setup, I only averaged about one star out of four or five that qualified (right "shape", right amplitude). Also, because I had to zoom-in to select the stars, I had to navigate around the image with the zoomed-in window to all portions of the image to spread the selection across the image. So, it took me quite a while to get the 50 good ones. :confusion-waiting:

I really have appreciated the script. I just click on Evaluate and go away for a couple of minutes, and, it's done.

Cheers,

Steve

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

ram wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:27 am I agree - the settings you sent me for your deconvolution were very similar. The primary difference is in the NR choices (gaussian vs. poisson, and # of layers, and layer param) I tried it both ways BTW, yours and the LVA (which I had also modified to make my layer 2 identical to yours) and I couldn't tell the difference visually.

--Ram

Thanks for comparing the results and sharing with us. Good to know.

Steve
Benjamin Australia
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Benjamin »

Another YouTube take on Deconvolution (and other things) from Sean at Visible Dark. Also deals with the PSFImage script. I prefer to clip the blacks a little when making the decon mask (so not quite the full histogram stretch as given by the STF).
Scopes:Skywatcher f5 12" Dob, f4 8” Quattro, Esprit 100
Mounts:Skywatcher EQ6-R (EQMod)
Cameras:ZWO ASI2600MM-Pro, Astronomik 2” filters
Apps:PHD2, Sequence Generator Pro, PixInsight
Eyepieces:Explore Scientific, Pentax XW, TeleVue Panoptic, Delos, Ethos

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Benjamin wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:38 am Another YouTube take on Deconvolution (and other things) from Sean at Visible Dark. Also deals with the PSFImage script. I prefer to clip the blacks a little when making the decon mask (so not quite the full histogram stretch as given by the STF).

Thanks Benjamin I'll check it out.

Steve
Benjamin Australia
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Benjamin »

The Visible Dark channel has lots of cool things. The DBE is also pretty cool and works!
Scopes:Skywatcher f5 12" Dob, f4 8” Quattro, Esprit 100
Mounts:Skywatcher EQ6-R (EQMod)
Cameras:ZWO ASI2600MM-Pro, Astronomik 2” filters
Apps:PHD2, Sequence Generator Pro, PixInsight
Eyepieces:Explore Scientific, Pentax XW, TeleVue Panoptic, Delos, Ethos

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Some good information, but, it almost put me to sleep. Sorry, just being honest.

However, I did appreciate his discussion of the Global dark and Global bright settings in the Deringing section of the Deconvolution tool.

Thanks for sharing.

Steve