Avoid cropping when combining sets of images taken at different times

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
ram United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Avoid cropping when combining sets of images taken at different times

Post by ram »

In PixInsight, when I integrate lights from different days or especially if I move things around (rotate the camera, etc.), even though I try my best to nail down the framing and match the frames, etc, I am off by a few to several pixels which is noticeable in terms of the edges being "visible" in most cases. I've gotten much better at this over time but still, let's assume the goal is to make almost every pixel count (anything in excess of 5-10 or so pixels on each edge). Let's say we're talking a change of 100 pixels due to framing after everything has been cropped to remove the black edges and we're talking about a single filter mono image (since if we went with multiple filters the problem actually can get worse). (Or in this case today I had to change the spacing between the reducer and sensor and reattach the camera so that changed the framing slightly and I don't want to throw out the 3.5 hours of data I already collected.)

Now previously I did a mosaic image and I was able to use DNALinearFit to equalise the images and then used gradient merge mosaic to combine them but I wonder if that would work for this (and it seems it would just the pairs of images to be merged would be very very overlapping) or if there's another strategy that works better.

Thanks all!

--Ram
Tubes: Celestron 9.25" 235mm f/10 XLT EdgeHD SCT; Meade ETX 80mm f/5 achromat; Coronado SolarMax II 60mm f/6.6 Hα <0.7Å BF10 solar; Stellarvue 70mm f/6 triplet apochromat; Obsession UC18 457mm f/4.2 with Argo Navis & ServoCAT; Takahashi FS128 5" f/8.1 and FC100DF 4" f/7.4 fluorite doublet apochromats. Mounts: AVX; LXD75; Paramount MyT. Eyepieces: 2" Tele Vue Ethos 4.7/13/21mm, Paracorr, 2,4x Powermate; Stellarvue 0.8x, Takahashi 0.7x, 0.66x reducer/corrector. Cameras: ZWO ASI120MC-S; Lodestar X2c; X2m; Canon T7i; QHY163M; QHY247C; QHY294M-Pro. Filters: 1.25" Astrodon 5nm Ha, 3nm O3 and S2; Chroma LRGB.
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Avoid cropping when combining sets of images taken at different times

Post by yobbo89 »

try star alighn your images with thin plate splines - distortion correction/local distortion and with frame adaption on .
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

I use APT to control my equipment during data acquisition. It allow me to use a Plate Solve routine to accurately center the desired aim point. This means that every time I go out to capture data for a given target I can accurately center my FOV to the same spot. This doesn't correct any rotation misalignment, but, corrects everything else.

If data is collected in this manner, then, use StarAlignment (yobbo's suggestion) to correct for any remaining translation/rotation errors. Not sure you can do any better than this.

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

Nebulosity can correct rotation. When aligning stars for stacking it requires that you align two different stars in order to calculate the roation. I've done this with images taken months apart. Yeah, you lose some peripheral areas, but that shouldn't matter. Here's a link: https://www.stark-labs.com/
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter