GIMP astrophotography tutorials.

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
KingClinton
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

GIMP astrophotography tutorials.

Post by KingClinton »

If you are using GIMP for processing your images then you might find this tutorial of interest.
He has others, so poke around his youtube channel a bit for more.

Eyeballs, binoculars, sketch box, Scopes n stuff.
Some people don't understand why I love astronomy so much, I cannot understand why they do not!

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: GIMP astrophotography tutorials.

Post by SkyHiker »

Thanks KC, that's a very nice Gimp demo! I use a lot of the same layering techniques though I never used color selection, I've got to try that some time.

One thing I noticed is that his star mask leaves halos in the final image because of all the operations he did on the non-masked areas. And the manual painting and contrast enhancements, hmm... up to the user of course.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: GIMP astrophotography tutorials.

Post by Star Dad »

I use GIMP all the time - but not for AP. I am going to look into this to see if it might help in some of my images. Thanks for the link!
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter