Opps Forgot About....

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Opps Forgot About....

Post by OhNo »

Last night was a bit of a first in my AP adventure. For the first time I was able to image to the West of my Pier. In the afternoon I said to myself, "don't forget to go and shut off the Sodium yard light off". Easily sidetracked (ended up installing the Zenith Table on my SkyShed Observatory) Guess what, I forgot.

This yard light isn't in line-of-site of the imaging station but it will cast light everywhere due to the fact it is on the White Metal end wall of my shop and up ~22'. The added issue was the humidity which is terrible here at the moment.

So I test the limits of viewing from the plastic bubble. First target was low to the West But it was too early and the sky too bright ~2300 hrs. Up to the Splinter Galaxy, nope too high at that time. Did catch M5 (5 120 second images), M5 (10 120 second images), M94 (10 300 second images). and NGC5845 (3 600 second images). All gathered at Unity gain which is Gain 100 Offset 70, so I'm told.

I stacked all images with APP and it punted a few due to satellites. But here is the kicker, I noticed while taking the images the APT preview was showing a lot greener hue than normal, the stacked images have a brown tinge to them that I can not figure out how to fix. My best guess is the Sodium light has caused this effect, all aided in the fact that I had a real bright moonbeam in the background.

Anyone have suggestions how I might approach this issue. Guiding numbers were real nice, images are displaying nice focus and detail, especially M94. Losing the data sucks, but I shut off the light power this morning! :roll:
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Opps Forgot About....

Post by STEVE333 »

Hi OhNo - which processing software do you use?

Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

PixInSight
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

With PixInsight, the AutomaticBackgroundExtractor or DynamicBackgroundExtraction will remove most if not all of it. Then, when you do ColorCalibration (or PCC) any traces of it should be gone.

You might want to add the Signature to your posts. You could include your imaging equipment as well as the processing software(s) you use. Just a thought.

Steve
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

Started off with DBE, gave ABE a try, no effect on the beige tint.

ColorCal was also ineffective.

Just bad data maybe!
M94_I_DBE B.jpg
Major crop

Hmmm, maybe upper atmosphere smoke?
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

M3 andM5 turned out Ok for the time-on-target.
M3.jpg
M5.jpg

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

I see what you mean about the brownish color of the galaxy. Very strange that ABE or DBE didn't help. Maybe it was the outside light. Thanks fro giving it a try. I did run SCNR on it and it helped a little.

The clusters turned out better.

Cheers.
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

LOL SCNR has three color selections, and Beige ain't one of 'em. Man, now I wish I'd of been payin' more attention in art class way back when dinosaurs wore licenseplates!!! Sounds like I can re-visit M94 again tonight, IF the weather forecast is correct!

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

OhNo wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:46 pm LOL SCNR has three color selections, and Beige ain't one of 'em. Man, now I wish I'd of been payin' more attention in art class way back when dinosaurs wore licenseplates!!! Sounds like I can re-visit M94 again tonight, IF the weather forecast is correct!
I hear you. I actually tried the Green setting and it helped a little with all three especially the two clusters.

"... when dinosaurs wore licenseplates!!!" :lol: :lol: I'll have to remember that one.

Good luck with your attempts tonight. Remember the switch!! I'll be trying to get some Oiii data on the Western Veil if my weather holds. If the fog stays away I won't get to bed till about 3:30 am. Sigh ...............

Steve
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

Well son-of-a-gun Astropheric got it partially correct, but it was an hour out of whack. The clouds moved in last night, early! Playing poke-and-hope I did manage a few images of Arcturus before I packed it in. I picked a single image and threw it into PI.

I debayered it, ABE, SNRC (reduce green), Histogram Transformation, Curves Transformation. Back to SNRC (Blue and Green again) and here is what I ended up with. Still a Brown Tinge to it. So what is causing it! I can think of a few things right off hand. Environmental, smoke in the upper atmosphere. OR I have crude on my Primary, Secondary or the CC/Camera chip! Might be time to yank the camera off and check for condensation!!!! I know it wasn't the Sodium yard light!
Arcturus.jpg

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Hi OhNo - Your problem is a real puzzler.

Can you make a single calibrated DeBayered frame available (calibrated with any Bias, Flats, and/or Darks that you normally use)? It might give us a clue. Maybe use DropBox or something like that?

Just a thought.

Steve
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

That may well be the issue, I haven't taken any Darks, Flats or Bias frames with this camera! Dither every other frame. :oops:

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Hang in there. It can be a bit overwhelming at first, but, you will get there. Lots of smart people here on the forum and they love to help. Let us know if there is anything we can do.

By the way, it is great that you are already using dithering. Well done.

Steve
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

A peek in Astropheric explained the Beige. Big forest fire in Western Montana with smoke heading up my way!!!!! Have to remember to check the incidentals before my next session IF it ever quits raining.