Discuss your home observatory!
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Step III of my retirement project: The scope

Post by jrkirkham »

This might go better in a different forum, but since all of the others have been here I thought I would finish here.

Step I: The Observatory

I recently added a SkyShed XL Pod on a small piece of rural land about three miles from my home. I reported it on here. It is working out just fine so far.

Step II: The Warm Room

I recently purchased an 8'x10' storage barn with two 4x8 lofts to use as a warm room. The lofts will be used as sleeping bunks for grand kids. The main floor as a warm room/sleeping room for me. I added a small propane heater. Everything works just fine. I also reported that on this forum.

Step III: The telescope

I just ordered some new gear:
I am upgrading my Orion Sirius mount with a Celestron CGX. I hope it handles a little more load.

I am upgrading by 10" dob (visual) and 8" SCT (planetary) with a Celestron C11. I added a focal reducer to the C11. I hope it will work for both planetary and visual observing.

I plan to continue using my ED 80 triplet for DSO imaging.

There are still lots of small improvements and tweaks that will take years, but this will conclude the main portion of my retirement project. I have been talking about and planning for this for several years. I ordered the telescope and mount from High Point Scientific. I have had good dealings with them in the past. I have no idea how long it takes to ship something like that these days.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
Don Quixote
Articles: 0

Re: Step III of my retirement project: The scope

Post by Don Quixote »

This sounds mighty good Jr. 👍